Dyslexic Authors Quiz – guessing closed

I was flipping through a book and found a list of famous people who suffered from dyslexia, a variable often familial learning disability involving difficulties in acquiring and processing language that is typically manifested by a lack of proficiency in reading, spelling, and writing (from Merriam-Webster).  It made me curious about authors who may suffer from this condition and after a little investigating I was surprised at the authors I found on this list.  Let’s see if you are too.

FIRST TIMERS ALWAYS WELCOME!

You have until noon Sunday to submit your answers as a comment.  Comment will be hidden until I post the answers.  No Googling! The person with the most points this round will win a B&N gift card (total $ based on # of total participants, so please play) and a randomly selected participant will win a fun prize from me.

1. “The diagnosis of dyslexia wasn’t available in the late fifties -bad spelling like mine was considered a psychological problem by the language therapist who evaluated my mysterious case. When the repeated courses of language therapy were judged to have had no discernible influence on me, I was turned over to the school psychiatrist.”  said the man who created Owen Meany  John Irving

2. The creator of Captain Underpants wasn’t held back by dyslexia and ADHD.  Dav Pilkey

3. “Being slow made me pore over sentences and to be receptive to those qualities in sentences that were not just the cognitive aspect of sentences but were in fact the “poetical” aspects of language…those qualities in language are as likely to carry weight and hold meaning and give pleasure as the purely cognitive, though of course we can’t fundamentally separate those things, although the information age does its best.”  said this Pulitzer Prize winner for Independence Day  Richard Ford

4. Maybe the most well-known African-American woman science fiction author who died in 2006 at the age of 58.  Octavia Butler

5.  “The first book I wrote, most of the letters where backwards and much of it is horribly misspelled, but it didn’t stop me.  Sometimes it pays to be too stubborn to listen to other people and in my case that was especially true.” said the author of the Dark-Hunter vampire series  Sherrilyn Kenyon

6. This science fiction author of the Sword of Truth series has dyslexia and is really into Ayn Rand’s Objectivism (which is popular this political season).  Terry Goodkind

7. “I wasn’t diagnosed until I was 12. In those days they thought that I was backward. I didn’t really feel at home with the written word until somebody gave me a typewriter. But, even today, I never send things out without having them checked by an assistant.” She has written a few books but more famously wrote the TV series Prime Suspect.  Linda La Plante

8.  (I) “was severely dyslexic and couldn’t spell, still can’t spell. So I was discouraged from writing and embarrassed”.  It’s a good thing for the popularity of fried green tomatoes that she overcame her insecurities.  Fannie Flagg

9. This one-name children/young-adult author won the 1991 Newbery Honor with his character Charlotte Doyle and in 1992 with Nothing but the Truth.  He was awarded the  Newbury Medal in 2003 for Crispin:The Cross of LeadAvi

10. This is prolific Emmy winning writer/producer and bestselling author (8 books in the Shane Scully series) sums it up with this, that his real fear for “dyslexic people is not that they have to struggle with jumbled input or that they can’t spell but that they will quit on themselves before they get out of school.” He was also one of Castle’s poker buddies (on ABC’s Castle) and his chair remained empty at the table for a year after his death.  Stephen Cannell

Answers to last week’s Thrilling Quiz here.  Leaderboard & rules here.

September 11, 2012 - Posted by | Quizzes | , ,

5. Sherrilyn Kenyon
    6. Terry Goodkind
    8. Fannie Flagg
    9. Avi
    10. Stephen Cannell

Comment by Word Lily | September 11, 2012 | Reply

3. Wow, I’m really ignorant about a lot of these authors. It’s great to see that they overcame their dyslexia and didn’t let it hold them back!

1-John Irving
    2-?
    3-?
    4-Octavia E. Butler (thanks to your hint :-))
    5-?
    6-?
    7-?
    8-I know who it is, can’t recall the name though…
    9-?
    10-?

Comment by Book Nympho | September 11, 2012 | Reply

• I thought it was so interesting to read how they felt about it and in the case of these authors overcame it. Impressive. 20 points 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 17, 2012 | Reply

4. I love it that I learn while having fun!
    1. John Irving
    2. Dav Pilkey
    3. Ford
    4. Octavia Butler
    5. Sherrilyn Kenyon
    6. ?
    7. ? Was not a fan of the US show
    8. Fannie Flagg
    9. Avi
    10. Stephen J. Cannell

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | September 11, 2012 | Reply

5. What an interesting topic. Let’s see what I can come up with.

1. John Irving
    2. Dave Pilkey?
    4. Octavia Butler?
    5. Christine Feehan?
    7. Lynda La Plante
    8. Fannie Flagg
    9. Avi
    10. Stephen J. Cannell

Comment by Kay | September 11, 2012 | Reply

6. 1. John Irving
    3. say what?
    4. Octavia Butler
    5. Sherrilyn Kenyon
    8. Fannie Flagg?
    9. Well, it’s not Cher. Or Prince.

Comment by softdrink | September 11, 2012 | Reply

• 40 points 🙂 Richard Ford had me scratching my head too.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 17, 2012 | Reply

7. 1. John Irving
    2. Dav Pilkey
    3. ???
    4. Mercedes Lackey (?)
    5. ???
    6. ???
    7. ???
    8. Fannie Flagg
    9. Avi
    10. ???

I was able to get a few! I’m really enjoying these. Thanks! Plus, my son has ADHD so it’s nice to read about people who have it and have achieved their dreams. 🙂

Comment by thetruebookaddict | September 12, 2012 | Reply

• 40 points! I’m always in awe of people who can overcome a disability and thrive. Hopefully that’s your son 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 17, 2012 | Reply

8. 5. Sherrilyn Kenyon

10. Stephen J. Cannell

Could only come up with two this week!

Comment by Carol M | September 12, 2012 | Reply

9. 1. John Irving
    2. Dav Pilkey my eldest son had ADHD and he loved the Captain Underpants series 🙂
    3. tip of my tongue but I just can’t remember lol
    5. Christine Feehan (I’d never have guessed but I’ve read the Dark Hunter books)
    6. Terry Goodkind
    8. Fannie Flagg
    9. Avi
    10. Stephen Cannell

Comment by Teddyree | September 13, 2012 | Reply

• 65 points! I’m giving you half for Feehan since she does write the Dark series, but as far as I know she’s not dyslexic! I would not be shocked to find out that Gage has ADHD someday!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 17, 2012 | Reply

10. […] to last week’s Dyslexia quiz here.  Leaderboard & rules here. Share this:TwitterMoreFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

Pingback by The Annual Highest Paid Author Quiz « Stacy's Books | September 18, 2012 | Reply