Mrs. Pollifax on Safari, by Dorothy Gilman

Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax Series #5)Finished 4-18-12, rating 3.5/5, mystery, 223 pages, pub. 1976

“I don’t know why I’m telling you all this-probably because I’ll burst if I don’t tell someone, and you look so-so human-but Africa’s having the most tremendous impact on me.  Ever since we arrived I’ve been having the strangest dreams at night, and seeing life and myself in the most astonishing perspective.  This country’s returning me to something I lost, it’s disinhibiting me.”

Chapter 7

Mrs. Pollifax is a widower in her 60’s and instead of settling down to garden club meetings she has become an improbable asset to the CIA.  The missions never seem to be dangerous, at least until Emily arrives on the scene, and this assignment is no different.  She is excited to be assigned the job of taking pictures on an African safari.  Not bad, right?  Well, it ss a great experience until she goes and gets herself kidnapped.

I read a few of the Mrs. Pollifax series way before I became obsessed with reading series’ in order, so I was happy to find her future husband on the safari.  Cyrus is a big man instantly smitten with the seemingly retiring Mrs. Pollifax.  It was nice to see Emily appreciated.

There was a safari tour full of suspects and an old CIA friend in the area somewhere, causing Emily to come under suspicion from many quarters.  The mystery was good, as was the description of Africa’s political plight (circa 1976).  I love the feisty Emily Pollifax.  She is smart, resourceful, and full of sass.  She is constantly underestimated and always rises to the challenge.  I enjoyed visiting with her after all these years.  A quick and satisfying read.

I recommend this series to cozy mystery fans and fans of Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple.

I checked this book out of the library.

April 19, 2012 - Posted by | 3 1/2 Star Books |

1. This sounds fun to me because I want to be like Mrs. Pollifax some day, except for being kidnapped.

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 19, 2012 | Reply

• I think being like Mrs. Pollifax is a great goal. You should check out the series.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2012 | Reply

2. This is one of my favorite Mrs. Pollifax books. I’ve read it several times and actually just finished listening to it in audio yesterday. Another favorite of mine is MRS. POLLIFAX ON THE CHINA STATION. A series that is timeless, I think.

Comment by Kay | April 19, 2012 | Reply

• I liked this one a lot, probably could have easily rated it a 4. I haven’t read the China one yet, but I really liked the Whirling Dervish.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2012 | Reply

3. I never thought to read Mrs. Pollifax in order of print date. I’d have a lot of catching up to do, but I did enjoy the ones I read. Love the exotic settings.

Comment by harvee | April 19, 2012 | Reply

• I love the exotic settings too. I like reading a series in order not only because of chracter growth but because of the recurring characters, as was the case with this one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 19, 2012 | Reply

4. Loving the excerpt … and she just sounds like a kick!!

Comment by Jenners | April 19, 2012 | Reply

5. I’ve read the first two and thought they were good. I prefer thrillers over cozies, but they were fun for diversity within my favorite genre.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | April 20, 2012 | Reply

6. I read my first Mrs. Pollifax book last year and really enjoyed it. I wouldn’t mind being Mrs. Pollifax.

Comment by Margot | April 20, 2012 | Reply

7. Sounds like Mrs. Pollifax is a fun heroine and narrator. Thanks for the recommendation. i’m always on the look out for light reads 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | April 21, 2012 | Reply

8. I’ll have to look this one up…you know I love cozies and of course, Agatha Christie!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | April 21, 2012 | Reply