Denzel Washington Was In That? Quiz

Last week we watched a Denzel movie and thought it was time to spotlight this star.  I’ve listed his characters in the order that I like his movies best with a hint.  Can you identify the movie?  Leave a comment telling me the # and the name of the movie.  No Googling or looking at other commenter’s answers – that’s cheating and no fun!  Each answer worth 6.5 points, with 2.5 points for the bonus question.

Last week’s Better With Age Quiz here.  Current Leaderboard here.  Play once or every week.  It only takes one correct answer to be eligible for a prize.  You have until Thursday night to submit your answers.

1. Private Trip (1989) – He won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in this Civil War film   Glory

2. Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter (1999) – Also starred Liev Schreiber & John Hannah   The Hurricane

3. Coach Herman Boone (2000) – Will Patton also played a coach   Remember the Titans

4. Malcolm (1992) – I refuse to help you any more with this one   Malcolm X

5. Gray Grantham (1993) – Julia Roberts was his co-star   The Pelican Brief

6. Lincoln Rhyme (1999) – This is based on the first book of the popular Jeffery Deaver series   The Bone Collector

7. Agent Doug Carlin (2006) – Also stars James Caviezel   Deja Vu

8. Eli (2010) – There is some kind of book involved   The Book of Eli

9. Nat Sterling (1996) – One of Matt Damon’s early movies   Courage Under Fire

10. Lt. Commander Ron Hunter (1995) – Will the mutiny be successful?   Crimson Tide

11. John Hobbes (1998) – Also stars John Goodman   Fallen

12. Detective Alonzo Harris (2001) – Also stars Ethan Hawke as the trainee   Training Day

13. Don Pedro (1993) – Would Shakespeare approve of this adaptation?   Much Ado About Nothing

14. Creasy (2004) – He was the protector of Dakota Fanning   Man on Fire

15. Ezekiel ‘Easy’ Rawlins (1995) – Based on a series of books by Walter Mosley   Devil in a Blue Dress

BONUS QUESTION – Which one of these movies did Denzel win the Oscar for Best Actor, becoming the second African-American to do so?   Training Day

39 thoughts on “Denzel Washington Was In That? Quiz

1. Nicole says:

I have seen quite a few Denzel movie, so I figured I would try! Fun game.

1. Glory

8. The Book of Eli
    12. Training Day
    13. Much Ado about Nothing
    15. Devil in a Blue Dress

Bonus: Training Day

3. Jo-Jo says:

I really like Denzel so I know quite a few of these…

2. The Hurricane
    3. Remember the Titans
    4. Malcolm X
    5. The Pelican Brief
    8. Book of Eli
    10. Crimson Tide
    11. Fallen—absolutely love this movie, I can watch it over and over again!
    14. Man on Fire

8. The Book of Eli
    9. Courage in Line of Fire
    10. Crimson Tide
    11. ?
    12. Training Day
    13. ?
    14. Man on Fire (I call this one I don’t want your money!)
    15. ?

5. Jennifer Rayment says:

1. Glory – still haven’t seen this but its on my to watch list
    2. The Hurricane (awesome movie!)
    3. Remember the Titans (Another incredible film)
    4. Malcolm X
    5. The Pelican Brief
    6. The Bone Collector ?
    7. ?
    8. The Book of Eli
    9. Courage Under Fire
    10. Crimson Tide
    11. Fallen
    12. Training Day
    13. Much Ado about Nothing (so so movie)
    14. ?
    15. Devil in a Blue Dress (Good Movie)

BONUS QUESTION – Training Day

6. jennygirl says:

1. Glory (One of my all time fave movies)
    3. Remember the Titans
    8.The Book of Eli
    10. Crimson Tide
    11. Fallen (Filmed in Philly, hey!)
    12.Training Day
    13. Much Ado About Nothing

That’s all I can get becuase I have a brain cramp! Good quiz Stacy!

7. Bumble says:

I’m sorry – I’m so distracted by that photo that I can’t think straight. Denzel has been in more frickin’ movies than I have time to watch. So I have only seen a handful of these on your list – some of them I recognize the plot but have no idea the name since I didn’t see it. But here are the ones I’m sure of:
    #1 = Glory
    #2 = The Hurricane
    #3 = Remember The Titans
    #4 = Malcolm X
    #5 = The Pelican Brief
    #8 = The Book of Eli
    #12 = Training Day (best Denzel EVER)
    Bonus = Training Day

You’re missing one of my faves – the attorney in Philadelphia – and your hint could have been Antonio Banderas ;0)

• stacybuckeye says:

48 points! I only include movies I’ve seen (it doubles as a favorite list for myself) and I’ve never see all of Philadelphia. I think I’ve only seen the second half.

8. Kay says:

1. Glory
    3. Remember the Titans
    4. Malcolm X
    5. The Pelican Brief
    6. Bone Collector
    8. The Book of Eli
    10. Something about a Police Precinct
    11.
    12. Training Day
    13. Much Ado About Nothing or Taming the Shrew
    14. loved this one but can’t think of the name – in South America or something
    15.
    Bonus – Malcolm X ?

This one was tough and I am a big, big Denzel fan. Couldn’t get the names in my head. LOL

Home on Thursday. Oregon has been amazing. I do have pictures. 🙂

9. kaye says:

love Denzel Washington . . .
    Even though I recall most of these characters I’m struggling with movie titles. The only ones I can remember without thinking too hard are #5-The Pelican Brief and #6-The Bone Collector. If something flashes into my brain, I’ll come back.

10. Forgetfulone says:

Not sure which movie he won the Oscar for, but #14 is Man on Fire. I love Denzel Washington! Just re-watched Pelam 123 two days ago. Saw the Book of Eli recently. Denzel is some good stuff!

11. Calila says:

#3 Remember The Titans
    #4 Malcolm X
    #6 The Bone Collector
    #8 The Book of Eli
    #12 Training Day
    #14 Man On Fire

He won the Oscar for #12

12. Veens says:

I know #2 was that movie in which he is convicted for 20 some years… all because of racial discrimination. I dnt remember the movie name!
    #3- Clash of the titans? I love both these movies 🙂

13. Staci says:

1- Gettysburg
    2- Hurrican
    3- Remember the Titans
    4- Malcolm X
    5- John Grisham book I can’t remeber the title!!
    6- Bone Collector

12. Training Day
    14. Man On Fire
    15. Training Day

Don’t know whether one I missed was John Q – loved that one

Bonus – I think it was Training Day

• stacybuckeye says:

You rocked! 80.5 points. I haven;t seen John Q yet which is why it’s not on the list. I’ll have to make sure to see it.

15. Julie H. says:

A bit tougher this week!
    1. Glory
    3.Remember the Titans
    4.Malcolm X
    5.The Pelican Brief
    8.The Book of Eli
    10.Mutiny on the Bounty
    11.
    12.Training Day
    13.Much Ado About Nothing (??)
    14.
    15.
    Bonus–I think it’s Training Day. (because didn’t he get supporting before that?)

16. Rebecca T. says:

10.
    11.
    12. Training Day
    13.
    14. Man on Fire
    15.

Bonus Q: Training Day. He won Best Supporting Actor for Glory. Cause that movie rocks.

P.S. I’m a little upset his turn as Joe Miller in Philadelphia is not listed here. He was phenomenal in that girl!

• stacybuckeye says:

67.5 points! I only include movies I’ve seen (it doubles as a favorite list for myself) and I’ve never see all of Philadelphia. I think I’ve only seen the second half. I know I need to fix that!