Fave Film #10 – When Harry Met Sally

Cover Image1989

Cast – Billy Crystal, Meg Ryan, Carrie Fisher, Bruno Kirby

Directed by Rob Reiner

Can a man and woman ever truly be friends or will the sex thing always get in the way?  When recent college graduates drive from Chicago to New York together they despise each other.  When they meet a few years later they are both in happy relationships.  Fast forward a few more years and they run into each other again, both in need of a friend.  They become close and appreciate the friendship and avoid ruining it with sex, mostly.

Why I love it- I thought Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan had such great chemistry and the dialogue was spot on, only more funny.  I liked seeing them get over their initial judgements of each other and see each other as friends.  And it really did make me laugh out loud.  A lot.  The days of the week underpants, Surry with a Fringe on top, and the wagon wheel coffee table are a few that come to mind.

My husband watched it with me last night and he said that it remindind him of a long Seinfeld episode.  Since we both love Seinfeld, this is a good thing.  I hadn’t really thought of the movie like that before…witty New York singles involved in trivial day to day life.  But the comparison is one I like.

Oh, and the sweet old couples telling their stories between scences?  Actors!  I loved thinking of them as older married couples.

And for the record, I do think men and women can be friends.  I had a best friend in college and after who I loved dearly (still do) and somehow we managed not to let sex get in the way 🙂

This is not my favorite clip from the movie, but it is the most recognizable.  So, if people are around you may want to turn down the volume a little.

My complete list here.

9 thoughts on “Fave Film #10 – When Harry Met Sally

1. bermudaonion says:

This is one of my favorite movies too. I love the way Sally orders food and whenever I place a complicated order and make a reference to the movie, no one understands what I’m talking about.

We have a friend who orders like Sally 🙂

2. Kathy says:

Love this movie!

Like everybody, I can watch this over and over.

Whenever I’m tempted to read the end of a book, I think of Harry.

The first time I saw it in the theater, I was with my best guy friend :o) We were most definitely just friends” and we were until he started dating “Kathy” (ironic, huh?). She wouldn’t believe that there was nothing between us but a great friendship. Sadly, our friendship ended.

I do occasionally read the end of the book although I think my reasons are different than Harry’s! It is ironic he started dating another Kathy. It’s too bad she didn’t believe in him enough to accept your friendship.

3. Staci says:

I love this movie too, there’s something in the air in regards to Meg and Bill’s chemistry on-screen!! Certainly a classic and worth watching over and over again.

The chemistry is definitely there. I have no idea how many times I’ve seen it. Too many to even guess!

4. Wrighty says:

I love this movie too! I watch it every time it’s on TV. They make the perfect couple and it’s so fun to watch how their hair and clothes change over the years, just like their friendship. I’ve had guy friends over the years too and it’s wonderful to have those special relationships. Great choice!

I LOVED Sally’s hair style changes. It made the transition through the years easy to follow 🙂

5. Literary Feline says:

This is my husband’s favorite movie. 🙂 I actually hadn’t seen it before he introduced me to it. It really is a great film. I love the various couples who offer advice and share their experiences.

Your husband has great taste!

6. Violet says:

I have seen parts of this movie but haven’t been able to see it completely yet. I should get a DVD already.

Your movie list is amazing. I watched Sweet Home Alabama and Under the Tuscan Sun on the Telly this weekend. I LOVED both. Have you read the book it’s based on. Although I loved the movie, I have a feeling the book shouls be better. I’m going to look for it 🙂

I keep thinking I should read Under the Tuscan Sun. One of these days…