June is Series Month

Cheryl is participating in the Read Your Own Books challenge with me and she read only series books in the month of May.

I thought this was such a great idea to catch up on all of the series I am so far behind on, because I refuse to start another one until I’m current on the ones I read already.  So, I took a few minutes to organize it on a page (at the top or HERE).  The starred series are the ones I’ve read every book in the series.  I’d like to recommend Brenda Joyce’s Deadly series for anyone who liked mysteries and historical romances.  I love this series – must be read in order!

So, my goal for June is to read the latest Stephanie Plum, Finger Lickin Fifteen, the 2 Bailey Weggins books I missed (by Kate White), and to catch up on Jeffery Deaver’s Lincoln Rhymes series (I’ve only got 3 to go).  I’d also like to catch up with Patterson’s Womens Murder Club, still have 4 to go.

Maybe if I catch up on a few I can start a few new ones that I have waiting for me on my shelves.  Or I could start a recommended series from you.  Take a minutes to comment and let me know what series I MUST read next!  When I get back from New York on Wednesday I’ll choose one from the recommendations!

Oh, please don’t recommend the Twilight series.  I read the first one and probably won’t finish the series.

June 7, 2009 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. You and I have such similar tastes.
    I read my requisite 100 pages of Twilight and just couldn’t get through it. Honestly, I was bored and kept waiting for something to happen.
    I love the Brenda Joyes Deadly series. I’ve read those a few times.

Here are a few of my favorite series and I’m like you…they must be read in order…

~ Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear. This is my mystery book club choice for July, I think this is the 4th time I’ve read/listened (the audio book narrator is fantastic!) to it.
    ~ Paige Turner series by Amanda Matetsky. Fun first person mysteries set in 1954 NYC. Solid mysteries told in a kind of Doris Day meets an adult Nancy Drew. Heavy in period detail but very well-done and doesn’t take away from the mystery.
    ~ Thomas Lynley series by Elizabeth George. These are INCREDIBLE! IMO, the ultimate in British mysteries and it’s written by an American, if you can believe that! One of my best friends is a British national and she says they are “spot on” :o)

Comment by Kathy | June 7, 2009 | Reply

2. Can I add one that I left out?

The Gaslight Mysteries by Victoria Thompson. Set in the early 20th century. Sarah Brandt is a midwife helping NYC’s very poor. Her husband was murdered before the first book begins and she take over for him. Born into an extremely wealthy family but disowned after her marriage, she tries to solve the murder of her husband. Frank Malloy, a NY detective becomes her ally as the solve other mysteries. I love that time period. The latest book is coming out this month. I can’t wait!

Comment by Kathy | June 7, 2009 | Reply

3. The World War I series by Anne Perry is wonderful! There’s only a total of 5 books in the series – there will be no more – so it’s not like taking on a never-ending list!

P.S. I have an award for you over at my blog!

Comment by gwendolyn b. | June 7, 2009 | Reply

4. Have you already read the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, of which The Beekeeper’s Apprentice is the first? If not, that’s a must-read, in my opinion. One of my favorite series ever.

Comment by Carrie K. | June 7, 2009 | Reply

5. I’m not a big series reader myself – I tend to want to bounce around to new characters rather than stay in one world. But I do have the Outlander series on my list – I am trying to start that one this summer. I also want to read the Dexter series – the one that the Showtime series is based on. I have heard those are great.

Comment by Bumbles | June 8, 2009 | Reply

6. I need to catch up in all of the same series you mentioned. I can’t wait for the new Stephanie Plum! I just read Plum Spooky (love Carl the monkey) but I think I missed #14. I got it from the library but was busy with blogging so I returned it planning to read later but never got back to it. I’m a book behind in each of the other series you listed too. I also need to read books in order. I have lists of series I want to start and haven’t been able to get to yet. So many good books, so little time!

For mystery/thrillers Harlan Coben has series but also many individual books. Patricia Cornwell, Lee Childs and Alex Kava are good too.

For a light touch Philip Gulley has the Harmony series about a young Quaker minister and his family and all of the funny, annoying characters in their small town. Easy reads with lots of humor. Also fun are Dorothea Benton Frank, Haywood Smith, Sarah Strohmeyer and Lisa Lutz.

Comment by Wrighty | June 13, 2009 | Reply

7. Ah, now your posts make more sense to me.
    A series…I’ve never read any of them but have heard they were good. The Pink Carnation series. Murder mysteries I think each one titled as a flower.
    It’s on my tbr.
    Little House on the Praire…would that count as a series?

Comment by jennygirl | June 13, 2009 | Reply