Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts I & II, Author: J. K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Cursed Child. Finished 9-19-16, rating 5/5, play, 327 pages, pub. 2016

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.     from Goodreads

Oh, how I’d missed my wand wielding friends.  I read the Harry Potter series, along with a large percentage of literate world and loved it.  Muggles and wizards, yes, but at its heart it is about friendship and loyalty, right and wrong.  I was sad to see the series end, but felt it was complete (well, except for the pairings at the end).  I hadn’t heard great things about this screenplay, based on the story by JK Rowling, that takes place decades later, but I wanted to know what happened just like everyone else.  It was so great to be back in the company of Harry Potter and his pals, even the beloved ones that were gone by the end of the series.

Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Draco are all back, but this time it’s their children that are off to Hogwarts.  Albus and Scorpius are outcasts and best friends who decide to make their daddies proud.  Silly kids.  This was the bromance that made this play sing.

Amazingly, there’s still plenty of juice in the Harry Potter world and anyone who has read the first 7 books needs to get their hands on this one. I did miss the novel form and the great writing, but accept it as it is and enjoy.

November 15, 2016 - Posted by | Uncategorized

1. I didn’t like it quite as well as you did, but was glad to have the series back in some form.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | November 15, 2016 | Reply

• Well, I went in with low expectations and was just so happy to have them back 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 15, 2016 | Reply

2. I just started this one and while it’s not giving me quite the same feels as the HP books, it’s nice to return to this world and these characters.

Comment by Heather | November 17, 2016 | Reply

• It didn’t give me the same feels either but the more I read the more happy I was just to be in their company again 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 18, 2016 | Reply

3. Good to see a nice review. My niece had intense dislike for this. I’d probably like it just fine.

Comment by Care | November 20, 2016 | Reply

4. I loved this though I felt that the script format meant it lost some of the magic along the way. I’m hoping to go and see the play for real next year and I’m hoping that I’ll get a little more magic seeing it in person.

Comment by clicksclan | November 20, 2016 | Reply

5. […] Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – no explanation needed, I think. […]

Pingback by End of the Year Survey « Stacy's Books | December 27, 2016 | Reply

6. […] continued with 8 series that I had already started (Cormoran Strike, Jack Reacher, Kinsey Millhone, Harry Potter, Lincoln Rhyme, Mrs. Pollifax, Myron Bolitar, Lucas […]

Pingback by 2016 Book Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 29, 2016 | Reply