First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

First FrostFirst Frost. Finished 3-3-15, rating 4.75/5, fiction, 291 pages, pub. 2015

Book 2 of The Waverley Sisters

It’s October in Bascom, North Carolina, and autumn will not go quietly. As temperatures drop and leaves begin to turn, the Waverley women are made restless by the whims of their mischievous apple tree… and all the magic that swirls around it. But this year, first frost has much more in store.

When a mysterious stranger shows up and challenges the very heart of their family, each of them must make choices they have never confronted before. And through it all, the Waverley sisters must search for a way to hold their family together through their troublesome season of change, waiting for that extraordinary event that is First Frost.

from Goodreads

It was Garden Spells, Allen’s debut book, where we first met the Waverley sisters, Claire and Sydney.  Garden Spells is also where I fell in love with Allen’s light, magical touch.  I didn’t want the book to end. It was so easy to read, an enchanting southern town full of enchanted people and I felt that same warmth this time around too.  As much as I really like Allen’s other books, and I’ve read them all, it’s the Waverley’s from Bascom, North Carolina that really make me happy.  I want a magic apple tree and a special gift, I guess.  Who doesn’t?

Ten years after Garden Spells the sisters and their Aunt Evanelle find themselves settled into relationships and trying to find their way, especially Claire.  Claire is questioning her gift and the way that she’s using it, so she is ripe for someone to come along and shake her faith.  And he does.

I love that Sydney’s daughter, Bay, is a major part of this story, coming into her own as one of the mysterious Waverley women.  She’s 15 and knows her gift, only it has only made her high school experience miserable.  I love how she is willing to be different at such a young age.

I really can’t recommend these books enough. You could easily start with this one, but if you read Garden Spells first you’ll get so much more out of it.  I’m not usually one that enjoys sequels of favorite books, but this one satisfied me and I am only hoping for more!

March 10, 2015 - Posted by | 5 Star Books |

1. Me too 🙂 I loved catching up with the Waverleys.

Comment by Mary | March 10, 2015 | Reply

2. I have a couple of Allens books and have even met her (and her rabid fans) but haven’t had the chance to read any of her books yet. This sounds wonderful!

Comment by BermudaOnion | March 10, 2015 | Reply

3. I haven’t tried this author’s books yet, but I have two of her earlier works on my TBR shelves (Garden Spells, included). I’m sure I will like them when I read them so I don’t know why I keep putting it off.

Comment by Literary Feline | March 10, 2015 | Reply

4. I like the sound of this series. I’ll check into it.

Comment by kelley jensen | March 10, 2015 | Reply

5. Nodding my head while reading your thoughts. I still want to know what these characters are doing.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | March 10, 2015 | Reply

6. Like several others, I’ve been meaning to read this author’s books. Think I will start with GARDEN SPELLS. Maybe on audio. I love the cover on this one. So pretty.

Comment by Kay | March 10, 2015 | Reply

7. I’m reading this one right now. I maybe read a few chapters every week….can’t believe how with this new job change how much my reading time has been impacted! I loved Garden Spells!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | March 11, 2015 | Reply

• It does start a bit slow but it picks up!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 11, 2015 | Reply

8. A slow start but I was so excited when the ‘magic’ kicked in … wouldn’t it be wonderful to visit with the Waverleys’ again!!

Comment by Teddyree | March 12, 2015 | Reply

9. For some reason I didn’t connect this book with Garden Spells! I had no idea there was a second book. I need to get this now. I loved the first book!

Comment by Heather | March 12, 2015 | Reply

10. […] thoughts: Lessa’s Book Critiques, The Bluestocking Society, Annette’s Book Spot, Stacy’s Books, Capricious Reader, Booke’d Out, Workaday Reads, The Eclectic Reader, Always With a Book, Ex […]

Pingback by First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen | The Sleepless Reader | March 25, 2015 | Reply

11. […] First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen […]

Pingback by Six in Six, 2015 « Stacy's Books | July 18, 2015 | Reply

12. […] 6.First Frost. I love SAA and this continuing story of the Waverly family. […]

Pingback by 2015 Book Favorites and Stats | Stacy's Books | December 31, 2015 | Reply