B is For Burglar by Sue Grafton

B Is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone Series #2)B is for Burglar.  Finished 7-21-14, rating 4/5, mystery, 209 pages, pub. 1985

Although business has been slow lately for P.I. Kinsey Millhone, she’s reluctant to take on the case of locating Beverly Danziger’s sister Elaine Boldt. It’s a small matter that Beverly should be able to handle herself. So why is she enlisting Kinsey’s services? Beverly claims she needs Elaine’s signature on some documents so that she can collect a small inheritance. But the whole affair doesn’t sit well with Kinsey. And if there’s something she’s learned in her line of work, it’s to always follow your instincts…

Kinsey’s hunch proves true when she begins her inquiries into Elaine’s whereabouts and discovers that the attractive widow was last seen in a flashy lynx coat boarding a plane for Boca Raton. But the more Kinsey searches for Elaine the more questions she encounters. Is Elaine’s disappearance tied in to the brutal murder several months ago of one of her bridge partners? And what happened to Elaine’s Persian cat who seems to have also vanished?

from Goodreads

Second in the Kinsey Millhone series. (Book 1)

I need more of these short, satisfying books. With time as limited as it is these are perfect in size and scope (short and not too deep) and I really liked Kinsey in the debut novel and knew I’d continue on with her eventually.  I felt like I got to know the private detective more in the first mystery (feisty, relationship wary) so I’m glad I read it, but I think I liked this mystery better.  There were so many potential avenues and suspects to pursue that I found it hard to put this novel down.

I know I am way late to this series, I think she’s on W now, but I like the comfort of knowing I’m going to get a great mystery with a great woman heroine in as few pages as possible 😉  I’m not going to be reading these back to back, but I will be picking them up often!

What about you? Are you reading or have you read this series?  How well does it age?

I picked one up at a book sale and also picked up the next in the series.

August 21, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I have the first twelve books in this series but haven’t really read any of them yet. I did start on A is for Alibi way back when I got them (more years ago than I care to remember) but at the time I was reading a handful of other books and so it got put down and forgotten before the end.

What I did read, I enjoyed and I think they’ll be right up my street. The only other crime books that I’ve really read like these are the Kathy Reichs Temperance Brennan books.

Comment by clicksclan | August 21, 2014 | Reply

2. I haven’t read them, but I know bloggers who do and enjoy them very much. Feisty women detectives are always good 🙂

Comment by Rita H DuffyGal | August 21, 2014 | Reply

3. I haven’t read this series. The book sounds good, but I’d have a lot of catching up to do.

Comment by Vicki | August 21, 2014 | Reply

4. I discovered this series when we lived in France and fell in love with Kinsey. I love this series!

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 21, 2014 | Reply

5. I started this series and got as far as my library at the time had, I think, but this was more than a decade ago and I can’t remember where I stopped. As I’ve acquired a few of the more recent ones, I’ve resolved to start the series over from the beginning, since I recall liking them but nothing else, at this point.

Comment by Word Lily | August 21, 2014 | Reply

6. I jumped in to the middle of this series and read a few of them – somewhere around J, K and L. I picked up some of the earlier ones at library sales. Now I need to go back and read them. And yes, I do like Kinsey, and one of the things I enjoy is that they take place in the 80s, before cell phones, etc.

Comment by Leslie | August 21, 2014 | Reply

7. The funny thing is that time doesn’t pass very quickly in these books so she is perpetually in the 1980’s, which makes it age really well in my opinion. My neighbor had all of these books up to like…R I think. And I binge read them all. But I’ve slowed down. I think I’ve missed the last couple. Not sure why I lost interest (maybe other shiny pretty books distracting me).

Comment by sandynawrot | August 22, 2014 | Reply

8. Boy, I read 65-70 books a year but have never started this series. You obviously think it’s worthwhile. I’ll have to give it some consideration (no promises though).

Comment by Lloyd Russell | August 24, 2014 | Reply

9. I love this series and am glad you are enjoying the books, Stacy. I think I last read T, and so have a little catching up to do.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 26, 2014 | Reply