Mailbox Monday – August 18

mmb-300x282Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week.Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

It’s been almost a month since I posted so that’s my excuse for so many books 🙂

books

Fagin’s Boy by Christina Pilz (a win from The True Book Addict – thank you!!!!)

Five years after Fagin was hanged in Newgate, Oliver Twist, at the age of seventeen, is a young man of good breeding, and fine manners, living a quiet life in a corner of London. When Oliver loses his protector and guardian, he is able, with the help of Mr. Brownlow’s friends, to find employment in a well-respected haberdashery in Soho.

However, in the midst of these changes, Jack Dawkins, also known as the Artful Dodger, arrives in London, freshly returned from being deported. Olovers’ own inability to let go of his past, as well as his renewed and intimate acquaintance with Jack, take him back to the life he thought he’d left behind.

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die (purchased this one)

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die is a highly readable list of the best, the most important, and the most influential pop albums from 1955 through 2003. Carefully selected by a team of international critics, each album is a groundbreaking work seminal to the understanding and appreciation of music from the 1950s to the present. Included with each entry are production details and credits as well as reproductions of original album cover art. Perhaps most important of all, each album featured comes with an authoritative description of its importance and influence. Among the critics involved in selecting the list are some of the best known music reviewers and commentators, including Theunis Bates (music writer for Time and urban editor at worldpop.com), Jon Harrington (staff writer at MTV), Seth Jacobson (writer for Dazed & Confused), as well as many others.

Brood X by Michael Phillip Cash, If You Were Me and Lived in Turkey by Carole P. Roman, The Universe-ity, Just Ask the Universe, and Keep Calm and Ask On, all by Michael Samuels

(sent to me by Red Feather Productions)

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, Surrender by Brenda Joyce, Bleachers by John Grisham, The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan, C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton, Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled by Dorothy Gilman, The Landower Legacy by Victoria Holt, The Captive by Victoria Holt, The Road to Paradise Island by Victoria Holt, The Silk Vendetta by Victoria Holt, Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd & Ann Kidd Taylor, The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time by Mark Haddon, 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, The Divorce Papers by Susan Rieger

(all purchased from the library sale for $4.50 – woo hoo!!)

So, did anything fun arrive in your mailbox this week?

August 18, 2014 - Posted by | Mailbox Monday

1. Wow! That’s a nice lot of books you got this week. I loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night. Here’s my MM.

Comment by Sarah Mortimer | August 18, 2014 | Reply

• I don’t know what’s taken me so long to get that one. Looking forward to it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 20, 2014 | Reply

2. Lots of good ones there. Enjoy!

2 Kids and Tired Books MM

Comment by Holly (2 Kids and Tired) | August 18, 2014 | Reply

3. I have The Bluest Eye poised to read whenever for my Classics Club. I used to love Victoria Holt as a young adult and I think I read almost all her titles! The Bleachers in on my wishlist– I love Grisham. Enjoy this whole stack and your week!

Comment by Rita H DuffyGal | August 18, 2014 | Reply

• Still considering the Classics Club. 50 claasics in 5 years is a tght time frame for me!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 21, 2014 | Reply

4. You got some great deals! It took me a little while to get used to the voice in The Weird Sisters but, once I did, I loved the book.

Comment by BermudaOnion | August 18, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks for the warning about Weird Sisters!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 21, 2014 | Reply

5. Wow…nice stack.

I read The Weird Sisters a long time ago. It was very good.

I haven’t read a Victoria Holt book in a LONG time.

ENJOY all your books.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

Comment by Elizabeth P. (Silver's Reviews) | August 18, 2014 | Reply

• It’s been a long time for Victoria Holt for me too but when I saw the four book set I suddenly HAD to have them!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 21, 2014 | Reply

6. Wow! Look at all those books! I hope you enjoy them all! The Bluest Eye made such an impression on me when I read it. I’ve never forgotten it.

Comment by Literary Feline | August 18, 2014 | Reply

7. A nice mix of titles , enjoy!

Comment by mary Ann Langan | August 18, 2014 | Reply

8. Wow, look at all the books! Enjoy!

Comment by Carol | August 18, 2014 | Reply

9. Wow, what a haul! I liked The Weird Sisters. Hope you do too. Enjoy!

Comment by Mary | August 18, 2014 | Reply

10. I adore library book sales — enjoy the great loot. My favorite one is coming up the week after Labor Day

Comment by diane | August 18, 2014 | Reply

11. The Weird Sisters is one I have had my eye on…happy reading!

Comment by Jo-Jo | August 18, 2014 | Reply

12. So many great books there -enjoy!!

Comment by lakesidemusing | August 19, 2014 | Reply

13. Nice choices, and a great bargain! That’s why I both love and try and stay away from library sales.

Comment by Leslie | August 20, 2014 | Reply

• Me too:) This was my favorite library book sale though. The whold basement is filled with wall to wall books for sale. I never even made it to the big room!

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 21, 2014 | Reply

• I know the feeling! My library has several small sales so they aren’t as compelling, but a neighboring town’s library has a huge, multi-floor, multi-room sale. I could spend all day there! It’s next month – must resist, must resist. If you want to make yourself crazy, this site lists book sales around the US: http://booksalefinder.com/

Comment by Leslie | August 21, 2014

14. HA good excuse. I haven’t read a Victoria Holt in a long time … must do that. 84 Charing Cross Road is on my TBR stack and I really enjoyed The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time, I listened to it on audio. Happy, happy reading 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | August 20, 2014 | Reply

• I’m curious about Curious for obvious reasons. Always interested in seeing how the autism spectrum is fictionalized.

Comment by stacybuckeye | August 21, 2014 | Reply