Love Life by Rob Lowe

Love LifeLove Life. Finished July 2, 2014, rating 4/5, memoir, pub.2014

Unabridged audio read by the author

When Rob Lowe’s first book was published in 2011, he received the kind of rapturous reviews that writers dream of and rocketed to the top of the bestseller list. Now, in Love Life, he expands his scope, using stories and observations from his life in a poignant and humorous series of true tales about men and women, art and commerce, fathers and sons, addiction and recovery, and sex and love.

from Goodreads

I loved Rob Lowe’s first memoir about his start in the movie industry (Stories I Only Tell My Friends).  It even ended up on my favorite list at the end of the year.  Here’s what I said about Lowe’s narration at the time, “the audio is definitely the way to go with this one.  Lowe’s charm and intelligence come through loud and clear and I looked forward to getting in the car and visiting with him every day because that’s what it felt like.  He was very conversational and it was just a fun and easy listen.”  This is again true with this second memoir.

This one is a little less focused than the first, with stories ranging from acting to fatherhood to marriage, but no less engaging.  He still does lots of name-dropping, but the stories are told with respect and they aren’t always easy to hear. I’m thinking of the one when he went to rehab and his experience with other well-known celebrities; it broke my heart.  His stories about his boys growing up and leaving home, as well as his love for his wife, might have left a tear or two in my eyes.  But, for the most part I was smiling and chuckling.

If you want inside info on the movie industry or enjoy hearing fun stories about famous people then I recommend this one with both thumbs up.  And if you like those things I say listen to the first one too 🙂

I checked the audio out from the library.

July 30, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books | ,

1. Coincidentally I just got this book from the library recently and renewed it because I haven’t read it yet. It sounds good to me!

Comment by Rita H DuffyGal | July 30, 2014 | Reply

2. Yeah I really enjoyed this last one too. He has a great sense of humor, and a very entertaining way of name-dropping and characterizing some of these celebrities. I’ll have to order this one. He is also a great narrator!

Comment by sandynawrot | July 31, 2014 | Reply

• It’s like it was written for audio lovers! I like him so much more after listening to his books 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 31, 2014 | Reply

3. I agree – this wasn’t as good as his first memoir but it was still pretty darn good! I cried when I read of his love for his family.

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 31, 2014 | Reply

• When he talked about his sons I got teary too. I hope he writes more 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 31, 2014 | Reply

4. I really liked his first memoir and hope to listen to this one as well.

Comment by Mary | July 31, 2014 | Reply

• If you liked his first one then listening to this one is a no-brainer!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 31, 2014 | Reply

5. I don’t generally read celebrity memoirs, although there are exceptions. I think Bossy Pants was the last one I listened to and I enjoyed it. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one!

Comment by Literary Feline | July 31, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, listen to the first one, Wendy! I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I liked it better than Bossypants and I love Tina Fey.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 31, 2014 | Reply

6. I enjoyed this book a lot. A nice mix of touching family stories and hysterical tales about the entertainment industry. After hearing him talk about Lyon’s Den, a series I never heard of, I now want watch it and see if it’s as awful as the network thought. And I couldn’t stop laughing at how they ended it!

Comment by Leslie | July 31, 2014 | Reply

• You are so right about the Lyon’s Den story. That had me laughing and wanting to see it too! That took guts 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 31, 2014 | Reply

7. I have yet to read any of his books, but they’ve been on my radar for a while. When I get to them, I’ll chose to listen instead of read.

Comment by Vicki | August 2, 2014 | Reply