S is for Shreve’s Still Secret Sparrow Sound

Blogging from A to Z

movieThe Sound of Music, 1965

Most of the songs that I sang to Gage when he was a babe were from this movie.  During college I watch this movie to help me fall asleep (yes, I know, weird).  It remains one of my all-time faves and such a comfort movie.  I did not like what they did to it when they translated it to tv last December.

bookTIE! The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell AND The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Sparrow is a must read! This book is not only highly entertaining, but also very thought provoking. What would your reaction be if you learned that NASA had just discovered music being sung from a planet four light years away from earth? Would it shake your belief in God or make it stronger? What if you were chosen with six others to travel to this planet, knowing that by the time you returned back (if you did) those important to you would probably be dead? What if you were the only one from the mission who made it back to earth alive?  Russell blows me away with her first novel.

The Secret Life of Bees, it’s 1964 in South Carolina and Lily is a fourteen year old living with her abusive dad and the knowledge that she killed her mother.  All she has of her mother is a photo and a picture of a black Mary with the words Tiburon, South Carolina written on the back.  When she chooses to spring her nanny, Rosaleen, from jail they hitchhike to Tiburon so Lily can find the memory of her mother.  What she finds are three African-American beekeepers that live in a pink house.  The three sisters take  in Lily and Rosaleen.  Not a faulty note in this southern novel.

authorAnita Shreve

I first read The Pilot’s Wife and loved the complexity of it.  I’ve read three more and really liked each of them.

actorBen Stiller

Can you believe I’ve seen 25 Ben Stiller movies?  I can’t!  Some people don’t think he’s funny, but I love him and he makes me laugh every time.  My favorites are  There’s Something About Mary and Meet the Parents, but Gage loves the Madagascar movies so I get to hear him as Alex the lion quite often.

April 22, 2014 - Posted by | Blogging from A-Z

1. I loved The Pilot’s Wife so much. Anita Shreve is one of my favorite writers.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | April 22, 2014 | Reply

• Yay! I’m in good company then 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

2. The Secret Life of Bees is so good! Anita Shreve is hit or miss for me but The Pilot’s Wife was outstanding!

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 22, 2014 | Reply

• Of the four of hers I’ve read only one was average so I’m hoping the odds are in my favor 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

3. Favorite Stiller is Zoolander. Blue Steel!

Comment by Tony Laplume | April 22, 2014 | Reply

• I have a picture of my 3 year old making the perfect Blue Steel! I should have included it here 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

4. The Sound of Music is a great musical. I’ve seen the original movie, the remake, and a stage production–the original movie is still my favorite of the three. (I sang many of the songs to Mouse too! Still do, actually.)

I loved The Secret Life of Bees! I haven’t read The Sparrow. Everyone says I should, and I attempted to start it a couple times, but the timing just hasn’t been right.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 22, 2014 | Reply

5. You need to go into The Sparrow with no expectations, I think. I don’t know if I would have liked it so much otherwise. It’s different.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

6. I’ve only seen the movie version of The Secret Life of Bees, although I have a vague memory of maybe reading it in an English class. That I was subbing in, not in one I took.

Love The Sound of Music too.

Comment by Liz A. | April 23, 2014 | Reply

7. YAY I have The Secret Life of Bees on audio, might listen to it this week while I’m walking. I loved The Pilot’s Wife too!

Comment by Teddyree | April 23, 2014 | Reply

8. Sound of Music and Secret Life of Bees! Great ones. I’m also a big Ben Stiller fan. I even loved his short-lived TV show back in the 90’s the Ben Stiller Show. Meet the Parents is one of my favorites.

Comment by Heather | April 23, 2014 | Reply

9. Oh my goodness, The Secret Life of Bees is one of my favorite books and movies EVER!

Comment by kelley | April 24, 2014 | Reply

10. […] The Sparrow – Mary Doria Russell.  I pushed my book group to read this and it was a little out there for them.  It was a reread for me and though I still loved it, it wasn’t as much as the first time almost 20 years ago. […]

Pingback by End of the Year Survey « Stacy's Books | December 27, 2016 | Reply