Q is for Queen Quinny Quindlen’s Quilters

Blogging from A to Z

actorAidan Quinn

I first laid eyes on Quinn in 1984 when he played bad boy to Daryl Hannah’s golden girl in the movie Reckless.  He was such a hottie 🙂  I loved him in Benny & Joon (1993) and Legends of the Fall (1994) too.  In both he played big brothers who took that responsibility very seriously.

authorAnna Quindlen

I read Every Last One and liked it quite a lot.  I’ve also read a book of her essays but prefer the fiction.  I’m hoping to read a few more by her this year!  Do you have a favorite Quidlen book that I should start with?

movieThe African Queen, 1951

I cheated a bit with this title, but when I went through the Q movie list there were only two I had seen and neither of them were worthy of any favorite list.  This classic is Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart at their cantankerous best.

bookThe Quilter’s Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini

This is the first book in the Elm Creek Quilts series and liked it quite a bit even if I am a failed quilter.  The story of friendship is a heartwarming one and I hope to continue with the series someday.

April 19, 2014 - Posted by | Blogging from A-Z

1. I loved The African Queen!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | April 19, 2014 | Reply

• I saw it ages ago so I need a re-viewing.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

2. For me, all of Qundlen’s novels prior to Rise and Shine were excellent. And Rise and Shine was okay, just not one of my favorites. I can’t comment on the collections of essays because I’m just not a big fan of that type of book. I want just one story in the books I read.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | April 19, 2014 | Reply

• I’m not a big fan of the essay type books either. I’ve read several over the past year and been underwhelmed by them all. I’m looking forward to reading more of her fiction.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

3. I can’t list something different than Legends of the Fall for Quinn.

Comment by tonylaplume | April 19, 2014 | Reply

• I love that movie. (sigh) In making my lists this month it has only made me want to go back and watch favorites!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

4. Well, you kind of do have to cheat for Q. At least a little bit.

Comment by Liz A. | April 19, 2014 | Reply

5. I’ve only read Qundlen’s essays. I thought they were terrific so I guess I better try her fiction!

Comment by BermudaOnion | April 19, 2014 | Reply

• See, I have a hard time with essays, by even the best writers. Something I’ve learned about myself this past year 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

6. I haven’t seen The African Queen or read The Quilter’s Apprentice, but I’ve read a Anna Quindlen book!

Comment by Vicki | April 20, 2014 | Reply

7. I’m trying to place Aidan Quinn. Is it sad that I can’t? I feel so bad.

I really enjoyed the one Anna Quindlen book I’ve read. I look forward to reading more by her.

Comment by Literary Feline | April 21, 2014 | Reply

• I think he’s hard to place because he usually isn’t the main guy. You have to be looking for him to notice.

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

8. I’ve got one of Anna’s books on my bookshelf but haven’t tried her yet. So many books and so little reading time! Ahh! lol

Happy A to Z-ing!
    ~Anna
    herding cats & burning soup.

Comment by anna@herding cats & burning soup | April 21, 2014 | Reply

• Ain’t that the truth. You should come back this weekend and see my stacks of unread books!

Comment by stacybuckeye | April 22, 2014 | Reply

9. Aidan Quinn is also a fave. Benny and Joon is fabulous!

Comment by Heather | April 23, 2014 | Reply

10. I’ve read 4 books from the Elm Creek Quilters series. They are fun.

Comment by kelley | April 24, 2014 | Reply