Brewster by Mark Slouka

Brewster: A NovelBrewster. Finished 10-3-13, rating 4.25/5, fiction, 283 pages, pub. 2013

My friend Golda, who works at WW Norton, sent me this ARC in the spring telling me that she thought I’d like it.  It didn’t look like my normal reading, but I trusted her.  It’s a coming of age story in the Vietnam War era (I should have told her that a college class I took on post-Vietnam literature ruined this period for me)  BUT, this book is beautifully written. I can’t even tell you how many of the passages leapt off the page and had me wishing I had a pen and paper, too many to keep track of for sure.  It is a slow novel, even for such a slim one, but it does pack a punch at the end that was so satisfying.

The year is 1968. The world is changing, and sixteen-year-old Jon Mosher is determined to change with it. Racked by guilt over his older brother’s childhood death and stuck in the dead-end town of Brewster, New York, he turns his rage into victories running track. Meanwhile, Ray Cappicciano, a rebel as gifted with his fists as Jon is with his feet, is trying to take care of his baby brother while staying out of the way of his abusive, ex-cop father. When Jon and Ray form a tight friendship, they find in each other everything they lack at home, but it’s not until Ray falls in love with beautiful, headstrong Karen Dorsey that the three friends begin to dream of breaking away from Brewster for good. Freedom, however, has its price. As forces beyond their control begin to bear down on them, Jon sets off on the race of his life—a race to redeem his past and save them all. (from Goodreads)

Let’s start by saying that if swearing turns you off, this is not the book for you.  They are rebellious teen boys, especially Ray, and it’s a little bit jarring at first.  After that I didn’t notice it as much.  I don’t know  if this was because there was less swearing or I just accepted it and stopped noticing it. But on to the story.

Jon is the good kid, the one with good grades, a physical talent, and two still married parents, but you learn that his parents are broken and withholding affection.  His mother is a tough pill to swallow, but Ray’s father took withholding affection to a whole other level.  These two boys meet on common ground even though looking from the outside you might not see the connection (insert your own governemt shutdown reference here).  I love the friendship between the boys and the foursome they made with Frank and Karen.

The impact of the slow but powerful storytelling was that the surprising end snuck up on me.

Thank you Golda!!!

October 9, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. You had me at “it does pack a punch at the end that was so satisfying.” I will have to look for this book. I haven’t read too much set in the Vietnam Era, although it’s a time period that interests me, if only because my dad served in that war. It’s always felt like a part of my own history, you know? Anyway, I like the sound of this one! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Stacy.

Comment by Literary Feline | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• My dad served too, but I think I read too many of the heavies in college (Roth, Heller, Vonnegut, Updike…)to love the era in literature. This was not heavy so I did enjoy it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

2. I read this a few months ago, and though I had some trouble getting into it initially, I was surprised by how much I liked it by the time I’d finished.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• Yea, we had the same reaction 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

3. I grew up in that era so find books set then endlessly fascinating. This sounds so good!

Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy) | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• When my mom gives it back I’d be happy to send it your way 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

4. I’m surprised you found it slow, I was pulled in immediately! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. My rec for the fall is The Cartographer of No Man’s Land, by P. S. Duffy, for anyone who likes historical fiction. It’s set during WWI, alternating between the trenches of France and a small harbor town in Nova Scotia.

Comment by Golda | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• Actually, I was pulled in at the beginning and then it felt like it meandered a bit. Obviously I did like it 🙂 I’ll make a note of your recommendation.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

5. This doesn’t sound like a book I’d normally choose, but I am certainly curious now…

Comment by lakesidemusing | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• I think you might like it Joanne!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

6. I was very curious about this one. I love stories that pack a punch.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | October 9, 2013 | Reply

• I think it might be one you like!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 9, 2013 | Reply

7. I’ve seen this book, either on my stack 😉 or at the library. Will have to check it out.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | October 10, 2013 | Reply

8. just ordered this from the library at the recommendation of a fellow reader. After reading your review – now I can’t wait to get it.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | October 10, 2013 | Reply

9. The Vietnam War was just ending when I was a teenager, the year my brother would have been drafted. I was awful glad it ended. The book sounds good, but swearing does turn me off so I probably won’t read it. I just wanted to thank you for your kind comments on my Thursday post. I really appreciated it.

Comment by kelley | October 11, 2013 | Reply

10. I don’t think I’m interested in this one. It’s not calling to me at all. 😦 Glad to see that you really enjoyed it though.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | November 2, 2013 | Reply