Oscar Night Notes

I love the glitz and the glamour of Oscar Night. I love to watch all of the beautiful people arrive in their finest and do a personal critique of their dresses.  Yes, I like to see who wins, but often that is the sideshow for me.  Not so this year.  Amazingly I have been able to see a few of the nominated performances this year so I am much more interested in who wins.  I’ve bolded the ones I’m hoping will win.

BEST PICTURE

Armour

Argo – Sad I haven’t seen this one

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Miserables – Good

Life of Pi

Lincoln – Good

Silver Linings Playbooks – Very good

Zero Dark Thirty – Had no desire to see it but I did and was impressed.

BEST ACTRESS

Jessica Chastain – She carried a very good film

Jennifer Lawrence – Quirky and loveable.

Emmanuelle Riva

Quvenzhane Wallis

Naomi Watts – I want to see this one!

BEST ACTOR

Bradley Cooper – Gets to show his talent (and his good looks)

Daniel Day-Lewis – Totally got lost in the part

Hugh Jackman – Was very good.

Joaquin Phoenix  – Love him so I don’t know why I haven’t seen the movie.

Denzel Washington – He did a great job even if the movie left me feeling sad.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams

Sally Field – She was a little annoying in the role of Lincoln’s wife.

Anne Hathaway – Totally nailed it.

Helen Hunt

Jacki Weaver – Um, okay.  Liked her but not what I consider one of the 5 best performances of the year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Alan Arkin

Robert DeNiro – Excellent

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Tommy Lee Jones

Christoph Waltz

So, who has your vote tonight?

25 thoughts on “Oscar Night Notes

1. hmsgofita says:

I’m hosting a little Oscar party tomorrow night and am sooo excited. I only saw three of the movies but they were all great. I’m hoping for Silver Linings but I’m thinking Lincoln or Les Mis will take it.

Daniel Day Lewis

Jennifer Lawrence

Helen Hunt—she did an amazing job for an amazing film.

Robert De Niro–Amazing job as always

2. Trish says:

I really really really wanted to see Silver Linings Playbook before today but it just didn’t happen. The only one I’ve seen on the list is Les Miserables but I don’t think it’ll take home the cake (though I’m pulling for Anne Hathaway). Will be fun to watch!!

3. harvee says:

I have seen only Argo and Life of Pi and was so glad they both took home great awards. Life of Pi is an awesome film, cinematographically and in it’s message.

4. Jenners says:

I stayed up way too late last night watching. I didn’t think Argo should have won Best Picture. I thought it was OK but not the best. Zero Dark Thirty would get my vote. And I’m with you on Jessica Chastain but I was totally OK with Jennifer Lawrence getting it. Love her! I never did see Lincoln but every clip I’ve seen makes it seem like no one could beat Daniel Day-Lewis. It seemed almost spooky how he played that part. Anne Hathaway deserved it and got it — YAY! I would have given DeNiro the Oscar too … but I didn’t see Django Unchained either so I don’t know anything about Waltz’s performance.

• stacybuckeye says:

I was ok with Jennifer getting it too. Given her performances in Silver Linings and Hunger Games she was a star last year 🙂 I thought DeNiro was fantastic and would have been ok with him winning, but then I didn’t see any of the other performances.

5. Literary Feline says:

I hadn’t planned to watch the Oscars at all, but suddenly, during the red carpet walk, I thought maybe I would check in. Not sure why, but I was hooked. I missed the last hour of the show, but I caught up on the awards via Twitter. I’ve only seen three of the movies that were up for Best Picture (Argo, Les Miserables, and Zero Dark Thirty). I am happy for all the winners. Can’t say I felt strongly about any of them or their competition to feel disappointed by any of the awards given. 🙂

6. Care says:

I just couldn’t stay up to watch the whole thing but always feel like I missed something. I didn’t see but two of the movies. Am looking forward to finally being able to DVD most of these!