Oscar Night Notes

I love the glitz and the glamour of Oscar Night. I love to watch all of the beautiful people arrive in their finest and do a personal critique of their dresses.  Yes, I like to see who wins, but often that is the sideshow for me.  Not so this year.  Amazingly I have been able to see a few of the nominated performances this year so I am much more interested in who wins.  I’ve bolded the ones I’m hoping will win.

BEST PICTURE

Armour

Argo – Sad I haven’t seen this one

Beasts of the Southern Wild

Django Unchained

Les Miserables – Good

Life of Pi

Lincoln – Good

Silver Linings Playbooks – Very good

Zero Dark Thirty – Had no desire to see it but I did and was impressed.

BEST ACTRESS

Jessica Chastain – She carried a very good film

Jennifer Lawrence – Quirky and loveable.

Emmanuelle Riva

Quvenzhane Wallis

Naomi Watts – I want to see this one!

BEST ACTOR

Bradley Cooper – Gets to show his talent (and his good looks)

Daniel Day-Lewis – Totally got lost in the part

Hugh Jackman – Was very good.

Joaquin Phoenix  – Love him so I don’t know why I haven’t seen the movie.

Denzel Washington – He did a great job even if the movie left me feeling sad.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams

Sally Field – She was a little annoying in the role of Lincoln’s wife.

Anne Hathaway – Totally nailed it.

Helen Hunt

Jacki Weaver – Um, okay.  Liked her but not what I consider one of the 5 best performances of the year.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Alan Arkin

Robert DeNiro – Excellent

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Tommy Lee Jones

Christoph Waltz

So, who has your vote tonight?

February 24, 2013 - Posted by | movies

1. I’m hosting a little Oscar party tomorrow night and am sooo excited. I only saw three of the movies but they were all great. I’m hoping for Silver Linings but I’m thinking Lincoln or Les Mis will take it.

Daniel Day Lewis

Jennifer Lawrence

Helen Hunt—she did an amazing job for an amazing film.

Robert De Niro–Amazing job as always

Comment by hmsgofita | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• I wanna come to your Oscar party! Oh well, maybe next year 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

2. Don’t you love years like this with so many good choices? It’s too bad for the contenders though – many of them who would have been shoo-ins in other more mediocre years!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• It really was a great year for movies.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

3. p.s. wait – you didn’t have Gage draw the winners? LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• my mom did suggest it but I just wasn’t up to is, LOL!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

4. I’ve only seen 3 of the Best Picture contenders – Argo, Lincoln, and Silver Linings Playbook. Silver Linings was my favorite but I still think Lincoln will win.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | February 24, 2013 | Reply

5. I’ve only seen Argo and Lincoln and I reallly liked both of them. Daniel Day Lewis did AMAZING. Um going on my two watches, I’d piinkfck Lincoln ha.

Comment by The Many Thoughts of a Reader | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• 2 watches is better than choosing from 1 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

6. I really really really wanted to see Silver Linings Playbook before today but it just didn’t happen. The only one I’ve seen on the list is Les Miserables but I don’t think it’ll take home the cake (though I’m pulling for Anne Hathaway). Will be fun to watch!!

Comment by Trish | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• Anne totally deserved it, but that dress, ACK!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

7. I’ve only seen one nominated movie (Le Miz), I agree with Trish, I don’t think it will win. Not sure how much I will watch.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | February 24, 2013 | Reply

• I keep meaning to do a post on Les Mis. Maybe next week!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

8. I don’t usually watch but I like most of your picks.

Comment by kelley | February 25, 2013 | Reply

• It’s fun when I’ve seen a few of the movies. Some years I haven’t seen any of the nominated ones!

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

9. I have seen only Argo and Life of Pi and was so glad they both took home great awards. Life of Pi is an awesome film, cinematographically and in it’s message.

Comment by harvee | February 25, 2013 | Reply

• Two that I haven’t seen. I read that the tiger is 95% CGI and that it took a year to create for the big screen. It must be visually stunning.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

10. I stayed up way too late last night watching. I didn’t think Argo should have won Best Picture. I thought it was OK but not the best. Zero Dark Thirty would get my vote. And I’m with you on Jessica Chastain but I was totally OK with Jennifer Lawrence getting it. Love her! I never did see Lincoln but every clip I’ve seen makes it seem like no one could beat Daniel Day-Lewis. It seemed almost spooky how he played that part. Anne Hathaway deserved it and got it — YAY! I would have given DeNiro the Oscar too … but I didn’t see Django Unchained either so I don’t know anything about Waltz’s performance.

Comment by Jenners | February 25, 2013 | Reply

• I was ok with Jennifer getting it too. Given her performances in Silver Linings and Hunger Games she was a star last year 🙂 I thought DeNiro was fantastic and would have been ok with him winning, but then I didn’t see any of the other performances.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

11. I hadn’t planned to watch the Oscars at all, but suddenly, during the red carpet walk, I thought maybe I would check in. Not sure why, but I was hooked. I missed the last hour of the show, but I caught up on the awards via Twitter. I’ve only seen three of the movies that were up for Best Picture (Argo, Les Miserables, and Zero Dark Thirty). I am happy for all the winners. Can’t say I felt strongly about any of them or their competition to feel disappointed by any of the awards given. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | February 26, 2013 | Reply

• Once the red carpet starts I always get sucked in too. It’s like fantasy land for us regular folk 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

12. I just couldn’t stay up to watch the whole thing but always feel like I missed something. I didn’t see but two of the movies. Am looking forward to finally being able to DVD most of these!

Comment by Care | February 27, 2013 | Reply

• There were so many good ones this year. Still need to see the winner, Argo.

Comment by stacybuckeye | March 8, 2013 | Reply

13. I love watching the Oscars but never seem to get around to seeing all of the nominated movies.

Comment by boardinginmyforties | March 19, 2013 | Reply