Sundays with Gage – croupy week

Jason started feeling sick on Tuesday afternoon and even came home early from work on Thursday (gasp!).  So, it shouldn’t have been surprising when Gage got sick too.  But I was surprised that we made a trip to the ER at 1 am on Friday morning.  Jason stayed home, too sick to be any good, and Gage and I headed to the hospital to see if they could help him breathe easier.  After some drugs, a breathing treatment and a croup diagnosis we headed home at 3:30 am.

Jason’s getting better and Gage is holding steady.  He’s barely eating and refuses nose drops and Tylenol.  He isn’t sleeping well and still wakes up with a seal cough.  I took this photo before bed last night, does he look tired or what?  Any positive energy you can send his way…

Stay healthy friends.

November 11, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. Stacy, I am so sorry you guys are struggling with illness. It’s tough when you are the only one that is well. Hang in there. I remember dealing with croup – that barking cough and sitting and rocking my little girl. Big hugs to you all and here’s hoping this week will bring healing to everyone and then Mom can get some better rest. Take care!

Comment by Kay | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• The cough and breathing are scary! He did get better sleep last night so that’s helped and it’s supposed to be in the 70’s today so I’m hoping to get him outside for a bit.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

2. He still looks adorable, in spite of being sick and tired! Poor little guy! Sending lots of positive energy!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• The last line of defense has held so far 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

3. Hope everyone at your house feels better soon. I remember when my son (now 29) had croup as a toddler. We’d turn on the shower to the hottest temp and let the steam fill the bathroom and just sit in there. It helped a lot. I wonder, can one rent a nebulizer?

Comment by Mary | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• I tried that the first night and he didn’t like it, but since he didn’t like much of anything that night maybe I need to try again.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

4. Oh, that sounds awful! My little one has had a cold (so have I) this week, and that’s been plenty bad enough (on top of teething and more). Hope you’re all well again soon.

Comment by Word Lily | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• As scary as the croup is I think it’s worse if both mom and babe are sick. Hope you both feel better soon!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• Thanks, Stacy!

Comment by Word Lily | November 11, 2012

5. Oh, no! Hope he’s feeling better soon!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | November 11, 2012 | Reply

6. What a precious little guy, a smile even though he feels so awful. Hope the warmer weather helps.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• It helps the spirits if nothing else 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

7. I love his smile, even though he is sick. Hope you can get him outside for a bit today. Fresh air makes everyone feel better. Glad Jason is better and I’m sending all of my positive energy your way! So happy that you are staying healthy.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | November 11, 2012 | Reply

8. Poor little baby! My son had all kinds of breathing issues whenever he got any kind of cold when he was little. Even had to have an inhaler. It is so hard to see them suffer like that. Tis the season I guess. I hope he feels better soon, the little trooper!

Comment by Sandy | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• Just went back to the ER for more steroids 😦 They are too little to have so much sickness!

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

9. Sick kids are so hard! Hugs. I hope little Gage feels better soon. It’s so hard on all involved. Gabe has been sick for the last two weeks with cough and cold, ear infection, sinus stuff…Rough nights. I feel your pain. Sending my good energy your way!

Comment by Heather | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• Two weeks? Oh Heather that’s awful! I hope you and Gabe are hanging tough.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

10. Poor Gage, Poor Jason…I hope you stay well and I wish them quick recovery…we have colds in this house…uggg…

Comment by Pinkim (kim wright) | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• It’s not easy being sick. It’s much easier being the non-sick one 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

11. Poor baby, I remember my daughter getting the croup. A warm mist vaporizer helped back then.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• They suggest a mister with cool air, but did say to run a hot bath or shower and take them in the steam for 10 minutes for relief. There’s certainly no magic pill.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

12. Aw poor baby and mommy and daddy too! I have a crappy cough too so my heart goes out to Gage.

Comment by Jennygirl | November 11, 2012 | Reply

• At least you’re over 4 so you won’t get croup 😉 Hope you’re better soon.

Comment by stacybuckeye | November 11, 2012 | Reply

13. Sending good thoughts your way, poor Gage he does look wrecked, but still mighty cute. It’s awful seeing little ones sick! Nebulisers, vaporisers and steroids were all too familiar words in this house when my boys were little. Get well hugs

Comment by Teddyree | November 11, 2012 | Reply

14. Oh poor Gage!! Poor Mommy!!! I hope everyone is feeling better. Having a sick or hurt child is horrible and scary. My kids only had croup a few times but my grandson keeps getting it and he’s only 1. He gets over it in a day or two but he sounds awful. We have had a stomach bug (it started with the one year-old again!) and it’s been skipping around the extended family for a few weeks now. Being sick is not fun. Ugh.

Sending positive energy and good health your way. Get well! 🙂

Comment by Wrighty | November 14, 2012 | Reply

15. That croup-y cough/breathing is the scariest!! I hope both your guys are feeling better now.

Comment by lakesidemusing | November 14, 2012 | Reply

16. Oh dear … not a good week for any of you! I’m so sorry to hear this. I know it must just be miserable. Sending you every ounce of good thoughts I can muster up.

Comment by Jenners | November 14, 2012 | Reply

17. I am sorry Gage is sick with croupe. We have been there it’s not fun. I know its easier said then done but keeping him calm will help, also we found steamy showers helped (even though drs here dont recommend it any more), the showers for us was more for the calming not necessarily clearing passages.

Hope you don’t succumb as well.

Hugs.

Comment by caspette | November 15, 2012 | Reply

18. Poor Gage! I hope he is feeling better now. Mouse had croup last year, but it wasn’t as bad as it sounds like its been for Gage. 😦

Comment by Literary Feline | November 15, 2012 | Reply

19. Your poor guys…hope everyone is on the mend!

Comment by softdrink | November 15, 2012 | Reply

20. I’m quite far behind in my blog reading and so sorry to hear that poor Gage had the croup. My son went through that when he was about 2 and it was truly awful. I trust that he is feeling all well again by now!

Comment by boardinginmyforties | December 10, 2012 | Reply