Film Friday- a look at The Outsiders (1983)

When I listened to Rob Lowe’s memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, last month I was particularly entertained by his memories of making his first big movie, a movie that would launch the careers of many.  I am an 80’s movie lover, but I never read the book by S.E. Hinton or watched the movie directed by Francis Ford Coppola and I thought while the book was still fresh in my mind that I should watch it.

The most obvious place to start is the all-star cast.  They were mostly unknown – Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Ralph Macchio, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, C Thomas Howell and this movie made them stars.  I was particularly impressed with Patrick Swayze, even if he didn’t have a large role.  If you want to see these guys and gal as babes you should check it out.  Diane Lane looked and sounded so different to me.

The movie was okay bordering on cheesy (mainly the cheese came from the music).  A few scenes made no sense to me.  There was an abandoned church where two of them had hidden for a week, they leave for a few hours and return to find that it’s on fire and there are children in there.  Made no sense and the movie sort of lost me from there.  The movie itself, set in 1950’s Oklahoma, pits the greasers and the socs against one another, and even though there was a lot of blood there wasn’t much depth.

I do think this is more of a guy movie and probably one teens would enjoy more.  For me, the best part was knowing the behind the scenes stories from Rob Lowe.

So, have you seen it?  Am I being to hard on it?

October 19, 2012 - Posted by | movies |

1. I know I’ve seen parts of the movie but don’t think I’ve ever watched it from beginning to end.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | October 19, 2012 | Reply

2. Sounds like it would be more fun from a “look at these stars when they were young and unknown” type of view.

Comment by Jenners | October 19, 2012 | Reply

3. I read the book YEARS ago, so my memory is hazy. And like Kathy, I’ve seen parts of the movie. All those famous actors look like little kids!

Comment by softdrink | October 19, 2012 | Reply

4. I also got curious about this movie from reading Rob Lowe’s book. Sounds like I could/should skip it, but I’ll probably wstch anyway just to see the actors at thst age.

Comment by Tami | October 20, 2012 | Reply

5. I think you should read the book. I remember parts of the movie and what made it better was knowing the story already. 😉

Comment by Vasilly | October 21, 2012 | Reply

6. I watched it way back in the day and read the book too. I had a mad crush on all of them except Ralph Macchio. Never did think he was cute! Now, Patrick Swayze…he’s been my crush for a very long time. When he died I was devastated. I will be listening to Rob Lowe’s book on audio, heard it was great!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | October 22, 2012 | Reply

7. I read and watched it back in my younger years, and totally loved it. Never saw it as an adult though. Wonder what I would think now. I do think the church and kids thing is better explained in the book.

Comment by Jennygirl | October 28, 2012 | Reply