Sundays with Gage – Turning 2

Oh the difference a year makes…

There were moments that first year I wasn’t sure we’d see a 2nd birthday.  They were fleeting and mostly connected to his health scare at four months, but once the fear is there it never quite goes away.  There’s this thin layer of worry covering each bump of the head, every fever, the bouts of vomiting.  So, they sneak up on me, these quiet moments of reflection when I can truly appreciate the giant leaps Gage has made in his development.

He runs, talks some but still babbles a lot, can follow directions when he wants to, can take off his sandals and socks, can use utensils, knows his alphabet and numbers.  He loves to be outside with his sticks and rocks.  He gives welcome hugs and kisses.  He loves swings and slides and books, especially Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  He loves watching Sesame Street and Super Why.  Elmo used to be a favorite but right now he’s got a pretty big crush on Abby.    He’s outgrown library story time or at least his hyper activity has but he does love to go to the Kid Zone at the gym.  He loves to swim and dance and watch car racing (I blame this entirely on Grandpa).  We even started a class with other kids his age and so far he’s managed to behave well enough not to get us kicked out 🙂

He still has allergies which is an ever-present danger but he also has the cutest smile and laugh so that helps offset the panic that sets in when he starts picking stuff off the ground and eating it.  So far this has not caused any problems and I hope our luck continues.  He hits his head a lot, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not, which has led us to the ER twice and caused much worry the other times.  He does know how to throw a tantrum, hitting his head on the floor in anger or frustration so if any of you have any great insight or experience it would be much appreciated. He does try my patience and I have failed many a day to be the best mom I can be, but for some reason he still loves me and keeps giving me more chances to get it right 🙂  Isn’t he generous?

I look forward to seeing the changes this next year will bring, as my baby/toddler grows into a full-fledged boy.  I bet it’s going to be fun.

October 21, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. I have lived it with 3 kids, now ranging in age from 28-36, and recognize all of those things you mentioned. Now I get to see it in my 4 (so far) grandkids. It’s all so very worth it. Even after 36 years of parenthood, my wife and I still have lots of opportunities to be proud of our kids.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• Gage makes me broud every day. Let’s see, when Gage is 36 I’ll be…well, not as young as you 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

2. How did that darling little boy get to be 2 already? I think it’s important for kids to know their parents aren’t perfect – I know you’re a great mom!!

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• I don’t think I have to worry about him putting me on a pedestal!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

3. I don’t know anyone who CAN handle tantrums consistently well. It’s so awful not to be able to break through! But thankfully, they just seem to go away after a while! Like Kathy said, we all know you’re a great mom, and Gage will always know that too!!! Happy birthday to the cutest boy ever!!!! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• The head banging tantrums are dragging me down these past few weeks!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

4. Give that adorable 2 year old a huge hug for me! His generous spirit show what great parents he has! Happy Birthday Gage.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | October 21, 2012 | Reply

5. Wow! Hard to believe he is two alreadY. He has kept you on your toes during that time. And I have to tell you that the angle of the cake makes Elmo’s eyes look like something else! Happy birthday Gage!!

Comment by Jenners | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• Jenners! I’m shocked that you would see anything but pure innocence in that cake!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

6. I can hardly believe that your cute little man is two!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | October 21, 2012 | Reply

7. Seriously, I can’t believe Gage is TWO! Happy birthday 🙂

Comment by Mary | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• He’s getting to be a little man, isn’t he?

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

8. Happy Birthday to Gage! So hard to believe the little guy is 2 already. No great words of wisdom on the tantrum phase…. other than ‘this, too, shall pass’.

Comment by lakesidemusing | October 21, 2012 | Reply

• That’s what I keep telling myself. Thanks for reminding me, Joann!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

9. Hey Stacy, hope we get to see this little guy in January when we visit Newark. Yes a year makes a big difference and you will soon be amazed at how time just seems to fly, so enjoy, relax and just love yourself and Gage.

Comment by Aunt Carol | October 22, 2012 | Reply

10. Happy birthday Gage! And welcome to the terrible twos, Mom. Don’t worry, the terrible twos only last a year, at which point they become the terrible threes; these are just like the terrible twos, only with more cunning and sophistication.

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | October 22, 2012 | Reply

11. Happy birthday, Gage! (I think you need to have a serious discussion with your mom as to why your birthday cake was smaller this year… you’re older…you should be getting MORE cake!).

Comment by softdrink | October 22, 2012 | Reply

• I was wondering if anyone would mention that and I’m not surprised it’s you! Last year we had a huge bash, this year not so much 🙂 Maybe next year when he has some friends.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

12. happy birthday to Gage 🙂

Comment by kaye | October 22, 2012 | Reply

13. Oh my! I can’t believe that he’s 2 already!! What a doll and Stacy, lighten up on yourself!! None of us have been perfect parents, it doesn’t exist. The only word of advice that I ever give is for you, the mom, to listen to what your guts tells you. It’s usually right!! 😀 glad that you haven’t been kicked out of anything….yet 😉

Happy Birthday, Gage!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | October 22, 2012 | Reply

• It’s just the head banging getting me down. I have not been dealing with it vey well.We’ll both get through it, hopefully with no brain damage!

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 24, 2012 | Reply

14. Happy Birthday, Gage! What a cutie. 🙂

Comment by thetruebookaddict | October 23, 2012 | Reply

15. Gage is 2 already ~ time flies so quickly! He has learned a lot in the past year and he couldn’t possibly be any cuter. He brings so much joy. Parenting isn’t easy, but you & Jason are the best!

Comment by Gage's Grandma | October 23, 2012 | Reply

16. Can’t believe Gage is 2 already, Happy Birthday to the little guy! You’re doing a great job, the worry doesn’t stop even when they’re all grown up so be kind to yourself. We were asked to leave Pizza Hut once when my eldest who is turning 21 had a mega up-sized temper tantrum, he was about 3. We were mortified at the time, but I look back now and laugh LOL

Comment by Teddyree | October 28, 2012 | Reply

17. Happy Belated birthday and welcome to the terrible 2’s!!! My brother threw tantrums, and my mom basically ignored him. Three times and that was it.
    Love the two photos. You can see how much he has grown. Amazing 🙂

Comment by Jennygirl | October 28, 2012 | Reply

18. Happy belated birthday, Gage! How much they grow! We say that often, don’t we, how fast they grow, but it’s so true, especially when they are this young. We are so lucky!

Comment by Literary Feline | October 30, 2012 | Reply

19. Happy Belated Birthday. He did have a pretty eventful first year didn’t he? You are doing a good job and it seems to be a toddler’s job to push every button we have so go easy on yourself. All to soon our little munchkins will be starting school and we will wonder where our toddlers went 😦 But on the positive you should really see him take off speech wise now.

Comment by caspette | November 15, 2012 | Reply