It is officially summer and that got me thinking of some of my favorite movies that celebrate the sun, the unbearable heat, and vacations. Here are my favorite 10 movies that celebrate summer. What are some of yours? Maybe I’ll have to revise my list if you remind me of better ones 🙂
1. Summer School (1987). It’s Mark Harmon. That should be all I need to say.
2. Jaws (1975). Ruined the beach for me for a long time.
3. Dirty Dancing (1987). Who didn’t want to spend a summer with Johnny Castle when they first saw this?
4. National Lampoon’s Vacation (1983). Who doesn’t remember the summer road trips with family? Let me know if any of you have a story as good as this one 🙂
5. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005). I didn’t read the book but I was charmed by the 4 friends in this movie.
6. Summertime (1955). A movie that celebrates summer vacations, Venice and Katharine Hepburn.
7. An Affair to Remember (1957). It starts on a vacation and the romantic last scene has snow falling in the background. I still need to see the original.
8. Under the Tuscan Sun (2003). If only I had been able to convince my husband we needed to buy a fixer upper while we were on vacation in Italy!
9. Weekend at Bernie’s (1989). Probably the only list where you will find this movie listed above Stand By Me. For a summer cheesefest you really can’t go wrong with this one.
10. Stand By Me (1986). Was I the only one surprised to find out that Stephen King could write such a sweet and heartwarming coming of age story?
EDITED TO ADD- Grease (1978) You were all so right! It was completely wrong to leave Grease off this list! I’d probably add it in at 5 or 6.