Baby Gage’s Arrival

Gage’s arrival was a bit earlier than expected.  I wasn’t due until November 3rd, but last week my blood pressure spiked and they decided I had preeclampsia, which meant that Jason and I checked into the hospital on 10/16 around 10 pm.  After getting situated they decided to start me on Magnesium.  That meant I could not get out of bed or have anything to eat but ice chips and Popsicles until 24 hours after Gage decided to make his appearance.  I did not enjoy my 3+ days on this awful drug.  I couldn’t see, hear, or concentrate correctly.  But I did eat lots of Popsicles.
After trying to induce and making little progress a doctor finally decided to do a c-section on Tuesday morning.  At 10:12 am Gage came into the world with 10 fingers and 10 toes.  While Daddy cut the cord, Mommy made a nuisance of herself by continually asking the surgical team, “How much longer?”  The answer was always 10-15 minutes.  Liars.
Gage came in at 6 pounds even and was 19 3/4  inches long.  He is doing well and is very, very sweet.  He is trying to get over jaundice right now and is on a blanket machine that makes him look like a glow worm.  Too cute.  He is being spoiled by his grandparents, who we couldn’t have done without.  And I’m convinced that I gave my son the best possible father.  Gage and I are lucky to have him.
The c-section is taking me a little longer to recover from than I thought it might.  Maybe it’s because I tried to be a tough girl and resist too many drugs.  I’m past that.  If I haven’t returned your call or email, don’t be offended.  I haven’t returned any.  I’ll be working on that soon.

October 25, 2010 - Posted by | Gage

1. Oh, he’s precious! So happy for you … take good care and enjoy this new chapter in your life! Big hugs

Comment by Beth Hoffman | October 25, 2010 | Reply

2. Congratulations Stacy! What a precious bundle of joy! After having a c-section it is important to never deny the drugs that they offer you in the hospital! lol lol

Enjoy your new addition to the family and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Comment by Jo-Jo | October 25, 2010 | Reply

3. Stacy, I’m so happy for you. Your little boy is a doll and both you and your husband (and a grandmother I assume?) look so happy. My daughter is a labor/delivery nurse and so I am familiar with the magnesium thing and I had a c-section when I had her, so I’m familiar with that. Take it easy and take care of yourself. You’ll get over it soon. I didn’t know about this new way of treating jaundice. They used to just put kids under a light.

Enjoy this time. They grow so fast! Hugs to you and your precious one!

Comment by Kay | October 25, 2010 | Reply

4. Congratulations to all! He’s so cute.

Comment by Nise' | October 25, 2010 | Reply

5. Congratulations Stacy! He’s adorable! Take care of yourself and enjoy him.

Comment by Carol | October 25, 2010 | Reply

6. What a handsome boy! Congratulations to all!

Comment by Mary | October 25, 2010 | Reply

7. Cute as a button. You and Gage! Props to Jason for starting off his fatherhood so well. I’m glad to see the happy family. And I’m glad you didn’t name him Tolstoy ;0)

Comment by Bumble | October 25, 2010 | Reply

8. I’m glad he’s there safe and sound, even if it was tough on you! He’s precious and I know he’s getting lots of love at your house. A c-section is surgery, so it will take you a little while to recover – let everyone else spoil you! I’ve never seen or heard of a blanket machine.

Comment by bermudaonion | October 25, 2010 | Reply

9. Oh my gosh Gage is such a cutie!
    Mom, you are looking rather good yourself after all that you had to endure. You poor thing. Take those drugs. That’s why they were invented after all. Congratulations toy ou all. I am so happy for you. Take care, get some rest, and enjoy your new son.
    Talk to you when you can. No worries…ever 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | October 25, 2010 | Reply

10. What a cutie pie! Thank you for posting these adorable photos! It’s so nice to meet the little man. You have a beautiful family.

Take all the help you can get but don’t be afraid to tell company you need quiet time too. Don’t worry about being the hostess. You’re a new mom and you need your rest (and drugs!). I was always so excited that I tried to do too much and by the second week I was really exhausted. Do what works for you and take good care of yourself. Congratulations! 🙂

Comment by Wrighty | October 25, 2010 | Reply

11. Gorgeous baby boy!
    Have fun with him and all the sweet moments to come!

Comment by Kathy | October 25, 2010 | Reply

12. Oh, he is so adorable!

Congratulations to all of you!

Comment by Melissa | October 25, 2010 | Reply

13. Just precious! I’m so glad you are all home now. Congratulations!

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | October 25, 2010 | Reply

14. Your son is so sweet looking. I’m so glad to hear you are okay. Please take care of yourself and let everyone spoil you. Remember that part of being a good mom is that the mom has to also take care of herself. Give your little guy a smooch from all your blogging friends.

Comment by Margot | October 25, 2010 | Reply

15. he’s adorable! congrats again!

Comment by pinkflipflops | October 25, 2010 | Reply

16. Oh my gosh, little Gage is sooo cute!! Wish you’d had a better time of it Stacy but judging by that glowing smile it was all worth it. 🙂

I’m loving the little blanket thing, must be new technology? My first two both arrived three weeks early and had jaundice, they had to spend a few days in the incubator getting light therapy. I boo-hooed every time I had to put them in there.

You have a great support system, way to go home team! Enjoy your newborn and welcome to Motherhood. 😉

Comment by Wanda | October 25, 2010 | Reply

17. Congratulations, Stacy, and to your whole family (although you did all the work). Gage is one cute little guy, and I love his name.

Comment by Charlie | October 25, 2010 | Reply

18. Congratulations! It is great to see that you are home and enjoying life as a family. Give Gage a big hug from me 🙂

Comment by farmlanebooks | October 25, 2010 | Reply

19. He’s beautiful! And you look great after all that work. I hope your recovery speeds up!

Comment by StephanieD | October 25, 2010 | Reply

20. Aw he is super adorable!! Congratulations on your new family!

Comment by Calila | October 25, 2010 | Reply

21. I am in love with him!!! 😀 What a beautiful boy and I love his name. You moved me to tears with the best dad comment!!! Give Gage a big kiss for me!!

Comment by Staci | October 25, 2010 | Reply

22. What a cute little peanut! Congratulations Stacy!

Comment by DarcyO | October 25, 2010 | Reply

23. What beautiful pictures. Congratulations!

Comment by Julie H. | October 25, 2010 | Reply

24. Gage is beautiful! 🙂
    Take care and thanks so much for sharing with us, Stacy!

Comment by Melody | October 25, 2010 | Reply

25. Congratulations, Stacy! Gage is a beautiful baby!

Comment by Alice Teh | October 25, 2010 | Reply

26. Awww…he looks so cute!!! Reminds me of my little one when he was born!

And it sounds like you had a pretty rough time … I’m sure it wasn’t what you were hoping for but I’m glad Gage got here safe and sound. Enjoy!!!

Comment by Jenners | October 25, 2010 | Reply

27. Congratulations! I’m sorry things didn’t go as smoothly as you would have liked. I had an emergency c-section with my 3rd and know how hard the recovery can be – take it easy and be gentle with yourself. 🙂

Comment by Carrie K. | October 25, 2010 | Reply

28. OMG Stacy, he is so so so cute! Jaundice is normal i think … mine had it too!
    Gage is perfect lil baby! But I can’t believe you look so beautiful in that 1st pic…did u just deliver 🙂

Take care, dn’t worry I am sure you will be recovering very fast 🙂

Comment by givingreadingachance | October 26, 2010 | Reply

29. Awwwe – so sweet.

Congratulations again 🙂

Comment by sally906 | October 26, 2010 | Reply

30. Congrats ! he’s Cute ! 🙂

Comment by Mariska | October 26, 2010 | Reply

31. Stacy, he is sweet! I wanna hold him! Congratulations to you all!

Comment by gautami tripathy | October 26, 2010 | Reply

32. He’s absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | October 26, 2010 | Reply

33. He is beyond adorable! Congrats and take your time healing. You had surgery – it’s okay to act like it for a little bit.

Comment by Heather | October 26, 2010 | Reply

34. Congratulations!! Sounds like quite a feat but with a great reward!

Did they tell you about putting him in the sun to help the jaundice as well? 🙂

Take your time on recovery.

Comment by Julie | October 27, 2010 | Reply

35. Congratlations again. What a cutie.

I dont know about in the US bt here in Oz yo are not allowed to drive or pick up anything heavier then a baby for 6 weeks after the operation. Even now 8 months on from my c-sect it still hurts when there is pressure on my scar. I recommened rubbing in something called Bio Oil if you have it in the US. Its a great product that keeps your scar area moisturised (and alledgedly reduces the scar but cant comment on that yet).

Take it easy and remember the #1 rule is sleep when baby sleeps!

Comment by Caspette | October 27, 2010 | Reply

36. Congratulations on your new baby. You have lots of on your plate right now. Best of luck recovering from surgery.

Comment by Esme | October 28, 2010 | Reply

37. Congratulations Stacy and Jason (and all the happy/proud grandparents!) … and welcome to little Gage!

I hope your recovery goes quickly – it’s great to see that big smile on your face! And, yes, sleep when Gage sleeps, and accept all offers of help.

Best wishes to you and your family!

Comment by Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books | October 30, 2010 | Reply

38. Aw! He’s gorgeous! I hope you recover quickly! 🙂

Comment by trish | October 31, 2010 | Reply

39. Congratulations, Stacy! He’s beautiful! Take care and speedy recovery to you.

Comment by Robin | October 31, 2010 | Reply

40. Sorry, this is belated but super-duper, massive CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Hooray!

Comment by Tiny Librarian | November 2, 2010 | Reply

41. I’m a little late here but wanted to say Congratulations!!! He is super adorable.
    :0)

Comment by Natalie | November 2, 2010 | Reply

42. Oh Stacy he’s just adorable. And I love the name Gage. Congratulations to you and your family!

Comment by Trish | November 6, 2010 | Reply

43. […] Can you believe my guy is 4?!?!  If you want Gage to take up a few more minutes of your time you can read all about his entry into the world here. […]

Pingback by Sundays with Gage – And birthday makes 4! « Stacy's Books | October 26, 2014 | Reply

44. […] his birth story is here […]