The Beach House, by Jane Green – audio

The Beach House by Jane Green: CD Audiobook CoverFinished audio 8-6-10, rating 3/5, fiction, pub. 2008

This unabridged book was narrated by Cassandra Campbell

Nan is a widower who owns a large house in Nantucket.  When her money runs out she decides the best thing to do is fix up the bedrooms and rent them out for the summer.  She has two boarders, Daniel who has just come out of the closet to his wife and Daph who is on her own when her teen daughter spends the summer with her father.  When Nan’s son, Michael shows up the house is full of camaraderie, even through turmoil.

The blurb on the back of the book focuses on eccentric Nan and she is a great character, but she was just a peripheral player once all of the house guests arrived.  I liked Nan and would have loved the story being a little more deeply focused on her.  While I liked all of the characters the book did become a little too thin when each of their stories were being told at once.

That being said it was a nice audio book for the car.  It was easy listening, if not the most fulfilling of stories.

I checked this book out of the library.

August 11, 2010 - Posted by | 3 Star Books |

1. Sometimes light is perfect for this time of year.

Comment by Carol | August 11, 2010 | Reply

2. I like Cassandra Campbell as a narrator.

Comment by JoAnn | August 11, 2010 | Reply

3. For me, a book with a lot of story lines is better in print. This does sound like a nice read for the summer, though.

Comment by bermudaonion | August 11, 2010 | Reply

4. Actually I prefer light books for the car, since it seems like it’s easier then to “share” your attention with the book and with traffic!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | August 11, 2010 | Reply

5. That’s a shame when the most interesting character disappears on you.

Comment by Jenners | August 11, 2010 | Reply

6. Sounds like it might be a good beach book, even if it was slightly disappointing.

Comment by Marie | August 11, 2010 | Reply

7. I have never read Jane Green though I have seen her books around. Its a shame the character didn’t get more “read” time. Might be a good light and fluffy for me to read later when I have beaten Mt TBR (which at this rate could be years and thats not even buying new books).

Comment by Caspette | August 12, 2010 | Reply

8. I almost checked this one out a month ago because I thought Nan sounded like a great character. Good to know that she really isn’t very central in this book…so I will probably pass on it.

Comment by Staci | August 12, 2010 | Reply

9. I have always wanted to read this author. And I have read good reviews of this one as well! I think I will read this because it is an easy read.

Comment by Veens | August 13, 2010 | Reply

10. Now this one is more my style. I love stories where people who are strangers are brought together and then the reader gets to see the interaction.

Comment by Margot | August 13, 2010 | Reply

11. A light read has a place in everyone’s reading schedule!

Comment by Mystica | August 15, 2010 | Reply

12. I also listened to the audio book of this one. It was okay, but a bit boring IMO.

Comment by diane | August 17, 2010 | Reply