Storm Prey, by John Sandford

Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport Series #20) by John Sandford: Book CoverFinished 7-10-10, rating 4/5, thriller, pub. 2010

Book #20 in the Lucas Davenport Prey series

Lucas and the gang are all back and ready to find the bad guys.  Weather is involved in a very high profile operation to separate conjoined twins and she unwittingly sees the inside guy of the pharmacy hold up at the hospital.  When one of the four men kills the pharmacist mere robbery turns to murder and the police are even more motivated to find the culprit.  The bikers who were responsible decide to bring in a hired gun to take out each other but they also decide that Weather must go too and this brings Lucas front and center.  Lucas trusts his friends Virgil Flowers, Jenkins, and Shrake to protect Weather and he is free to do what he does best, track down killers.

I’ve read every book of the series and the past few have only been okay for me, so I was happy to find myself completely engaged with Lucas again.  Maybe it was because this was as much about Weather as Lucas and the contrast worked.  And the bad guys were really bad.  The inside guy at the hospital was a real piece of work, even more so than the scary hired gun, Cappy.

There was no mystery, only a compulsion to turn the pages to see how it would all play out, not only with the bad guys, but with the conjoined twins too.  The separation operation took up a lot of the storyline and it wa a nice change of pace.  Lucas and Weather seem to have a healthy home life with teen Letty and baby Sam, although they seem to have little interaction with the kids.  So, the one thing that struck me as odd was when Weather said she wanted another baby.  She never held the baby, even when she was housebound and under police protection fearing for her life.  But other than that this was a spot on thriller.

Another great addition to the series.

I checked this book out of the library.

July 15, 2010 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. Yay!! I’m thrilled to read that you enjoyed this one. I was really disappointed in his last few but hey…this is #20 so I should cut him some slack right? 😀

Comment by Staci | July 15, 2010 | Reply

• Yeah, I was relieved to like this one after being a little disappointed at the last few Lucas books. Hope you like it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2010 | Reply

2. Sounds good to me.

Long time I read a Sandford book!

Comment by gautami tripathy | July 15, 2010 | Reply

• It’s a good thriller 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2010 | Reply

3. I won this in a giveaway so I’ll have to check it out soon. This would be my first read of the series though … which kind of seems wrong, doesn’t it?

Comment by Jenners | July 16, 2010 | Reply

• Starting at #20 takes guts. I liked the beginning of the series best, so it’ll be interesting to see what you think of starting so late. I’m guessing you might be disappointed in character development.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 18, 2010 | Reply

4. The only mystery to these books is how and if they’ll catch the bad guys, but they’re still loads of fun! I really enjoyed this book too!

Comment by bermudaonion | July 17, 2010 | Reply

• It is fast and fun 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 18, 2010 | Reply

5. Your loyalty amazes me. If I were I series writer, I’d want all my readers to be just like you.

Except for Agatha Christie and Nora Roberts, I can’t think of any author I’ve read 20 of their books. I’ll have to think about this. Meanwhile, I’m glad you get so much enjoyment from John Sanford.

Comment by Margot | July 17, 2010 | Reply

• I am nothing if not loyal 🙂 Although this last Evanovich book is the first one since I gave up on the series. So, I can get bored it it’s the same book over and over.

I am picky about series books I read because I know I might get sucked in!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 18, 2010 | Reply

6. I’ve only read one book in the series so far, but I’m looking forward to reading more. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Stacy!

What an interesting observation about Weather and the baby! I wonder if I will pick up on it when I read this one.

Comment by Literary Feline | July 18, 2010 | Reply

7. I can’t wait to get back to Lucas. I’m only on #4 I believe.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | August 8, 2010 | Reply

8. […] Davenport series #22.  (book 17) (book 18) (book 19) (book 20) (book 21) Lucas Davenport has seen many terrible murder scenes. This is one of the worst. In the […]

Pingback by Stolen Prey by John Sandford « Stacy's Books | September 19, 2012 | Reply