Home Safe, by Elizabeth Berg

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg: CD Audiobook CoverFinished audio 6-10-10, rating 4/5, fiction, pub. 2009

Unabridged audio read by the author

Helen is a 50 something widowed author who is still trying to find her way a year after her husband’s death.  She cannot do the most basic things around the house relying instead on her 27-year-old daughter Tessa and she has not been able to write at all.  When she finds out the nest egg she thought would support her financially is gone, having been taken out of the bank by her husband before his death, she has no idea what to think.  She takes a job teaching a writing workshop and the eccentric students force her writer’s instincts to kick in.  When the truth comes out about where the $850,000 went a fork in the road presents itself and Helen is forced to evaluate her life and what she wants to do with it.

Elizabeth Berg always writes books I can relate to even though I am not in the same age range or situation as the main character.  There is such truth and beauty in her writing that I am immediately drawn in, as I was here.  And the fact that she read it herself was wonderful.   My favorite part of the book revolved around Helen receiving a not-so-flattering letter from a reader and how it affected her.  It felt like Berg may have been telling her own story.

I did feel it was similar in some ways to another of her books, The Year of Pleasures, and I actually think I prefer The Year of Pleasures.  Helen did get on my nerves at times.  What woman, no matter how reliant she is on her husband, calls the police when she has a leak?

So, it was good, not my favorite, but a solid read, or in my case, listen to.

I borrowed this audiobook from the library.

28 thoughts on “Home Safe, by Elizabeth Berg

1. Nicole says:

I really like the sound of this and I want to know what happened to that nest egg! I love to read about women in different stages of their lives and how they deal. Most of the time I find that behavior has very little to do with age.

• stacybuckeye says:

Helen seemed surprisingly unconcerned about the nest egg, until she found out what it had been used for! 🙂

• Bumble says:

I have a big plastic cup in the pantry that Andy drew a spider on with magic marker – it is my Spider Cup to use when he is traveling and I am invaded by a spider. I scoop it up and dump it outside while recovering from the heebeejeebees.

2. jennygirl says:

Agree with the comment above, premise is onteresting but callin the police for a leak….I don’t think so. I don’t like people that can’t help themselves. Thanks for the review. Maybe I’ll check out her other titles.

• stacybuckeye says:

So far I’ve liked Pull of the Moon and Joy School best, but even the ones I don’t liked best are better than most the stuff out there!

3. Staci says:

I loved this one but now that you mentioned Year of Pleasures I tend to agree with you in regards to liking that one better. Berg is a favorite of mine.

4. Margot says:

I’m listening to The Day I Ate Anything I Wanted, also read by the author. I thought it was hilarious. I want to read more of Elizabeth Berg’s books, actually listen to them. Thanks for recommending two more.

5. Jenners says:

I’ve read Elizabeth Berg off and on for years…. but I can never remember the titles of the ones I read. I don’t think I read this one though. She is a gifted writer.

6. Tiny Librarian says:

Hmmm…I might give that one a try. I really her liked Open House a lot. I need to catch up on her books, she’s another one that I discovered too late! 🙂 I’m intrigued to find out what happened to the nest egg…

(Glad to hear all’s going well on the baby front!)

7. diane says:

This was NOT a favorite of mine either. Actually I have been disappointed in this author in the past few years…have not read her latest book yet, have you?

• stacybuckeye says:

I haven’t read her books in any kind of order. This one happened to be at the library last time I went and it was unabridged so I snagged it.

8. Teddyree says:

This is the only one I’ve read of Elizabeth Berg’s and I’ve been told it’s not her best. I did like her writing style though and I had the same thoughts about Helen LOL

9. Wanda says:

Ah ha, now I get the cover! Helen doesn’t sound like she’d be making my list of favourite female characters but I still think I’d like to give this book a go.