French Scattergories Quiz

I had fun with the Color Scattergories Quiz last month and thought we could try a different version today.  Next month I’m headed to France!  We are going to visit friends in Lyon and then to spend some time in Paris.  So, this is French Scattergories.

List up to 10 titles or movies that are set in France.  The title only counts if you are the only one who lists it.  If there are repeats no one gets points.

So, you may come up with 10 titles and get 0 points or give me one title and get 10 points.   Tricky, huh?

Feel free to browse your own blogs or bestseller lists for ideas.  You have until Thursday night to submit your answers.

10 points per title.  New Leaderboard.

36 thoughts on “French Scattergories Quiz

1. Kathy says:

~ Forget Paris with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger
    ~ French Kiss with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline
    ~ The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LeRoux
    ~ Beauty & The Beast… Disney
    ~ An American in Paris with Gene Kelly
    ~ Perfume by Patrick Susskind
    ~ Ratatouille… animated movie
    ~ The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by Carolly Erickson
    ~ American Werewolf in Paris (sequel to American Werewolf
    in London)
    ~ Murder on the Eiffel Tower by Claude Izner (great novel. I really enjoyed it!)

• stacybuckeye says:

20 points. All of these wonderful titles, except Phantom and Ratatouille, were guessed by others. Just saw Ratatouille a few days ago and liked it.

2. bermudaonion says:

I’m so excited that you’re going to Lyon! Make sure you ride in the TGV and take lots of pictures so I can see how it’s changed.

Forget Paris

Cleopatra’s Heir
    Charlotte Gray
    Suite Francaise
    The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette
    Birdsong
    Five Quarters of the Orange
    Travels with a donkey in the Cevennes
    Tout Sweet

Jean Cocteau’s La Belle et La Bete
    The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
    Ever After
    Pret a Porter

6. Kay says:

French Kiss
    The Three Musketeers (book & movie)
    The Man in the Iron Mask (same)
    Tourjours, Provence
    Cara Black’s mystery series (all of them)
    The Secret of the Pink Carnation (most of it)
    Suite Francaise
    Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
    Murder on the Eiffel Tower
    Marie Antoinette

7. Bumbles says:

1. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer – P. Suskind (historical fiction)
    2. The DaVinci Code – D. Brown (thriller)3. Suite Francaise – I. Nemirovsky (historical fiction)
    4. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly – J. Bauby (memoir)
    5. Gone To Soldiers – M. Piercy (historical fiction)
    6. A Year In Provence – P. Mayle (memoir)
    7. The Crimes of Paris: A True Story of Murder, Theft and Deception – D. Hoobler (non-fiction)
    8. The Count of Monte Cristo – A. Dumas (classic)
    9. Life with Picasso – F. Gilot (memoir)
    10. Forget Paris (movie)

8. Bumbles says:

For the record, when I started my post, Kay’s wasn’t displayed. So I did not intentionally duplicate Suite Francaise. But the more it is mentioned the better – what a wonderful piece of writing that is.

• Kay says:

Bumbles, I laughed at your comment. I did my list without looking at Stephanie’s above mine and as I was waiting for mine to post I thought, I hope half of mine aren’t duplicates and everyone thinks I copied! LOL

You are very right about Suite Francaise. A wonderful book.

• Bumbles says:

Oh Stacy you would really like it. The author’s literary hero was Tolstoy. This was her attempt at writing a glorious epic a la War & Peace, except she wrote it about WW2 as it was unfolding in front of her, waiting for things to play out as she plotted the fate of her characters. She did not manage to finish her work because she was murdered in a concentration camp. Her book went undiscovered in her daughter’s care for decades before it was discovered and published just in the last few years. The parts she did write were absolutely beautiful writing – with the same deep character development Tolstoy used – so I would say that she would have certainly reached her goal had she survived. There are notes from her journal published at the end which give you a sense of the directions she was thinking to take each character, so there is some closure – but the parts stand well enough alone regardless.

9. Wrighty says:

A Goose in Toulouse
    Hotel Patis
    Chocolat
    The Fly-Truffler
    Chasing Cezanne
    Anything Considered
    Interview with a Vampire
    European Vacation
    An American Werewolf in Paris
    Disney’s Hunchback of Notre Dame

10. Margot says:

You are going to France!! How lucky is that. I’m so glad for you. You are becoming quite the traveler this year. It seems like you just got back from San Francisco.

The only movies I can think of are An American In Paris and Gigi.

11. Kathy says:

I picked up a library book on hold yesterday and laughed when I realized it was set in Paris :o) I had completely forgotten about it. Anyway, it’s called The Alchemy of Murder by Carol McCleary.

12. Calila says:

Little Dorrit by Dickens
    Les Miserables
    Moulin Rouge
    Atonement
    Au Revoir Les Enfants
    Paris, Je T’aime (2006)
    Flight of the Red Balloon (2007)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)
    The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant