Monday Movie Meme – Token of Appreciation

“the second time you see something is really the first time. You need to know how it ends before you can appreciate how beautifully it’s put together from the beginning.” (Film Club)

Visit the Bumbles for more Appreciation lists

We’re are supposed to list movies that get better the more we view them, our appreciation grows.  This is a hard one.  When I rewatch movies it is usually because I loved them the first time (and the second, third, and fourth), but these are movies I liked more the second time than the first.  There are many movies that I see and because of a twist (Sixth Sense, No Way Out) or just because I fell in love (Lord of the Rings) I want to see again immediately, but these are the ones that maybe I didn’t LOVE the first time.  Here we go…

I liked this a lot the first time, but I watched it again and fell in love with the individual performances.  Jodi and Anthony are flawless, as is the creepy Ted Levine, and their performances alone are reason enough to watch this again and again.

This is one I liked the first time, but really appreciated it more the second time.  I didn’t know the end, so when I watched again and saw the way it was all set up I was amazed by Hitchcock’s genius.

Jason and I saw this at the theater and there was so much ribald humor that I was a bit embarrassed to laugh (prudish, I know).  I saw it again in the privacy of my own home and I just let myself be taken over by the silliness and raunchiness.   But I find Ben Stiller funny, I don’t think you would ever appreciate this movie if you didn’t.

I watched this the first time after I had spent 5 hours watching the BBC mini-series with Colin Firth, so I spent much of my time noting everything they left out or changed.  When some time had passed and I watched in on tv I was able to appreciate it for it’s own merit.  I’ve seen it several times and love it each time.

I did like this the first time, but loved watching the way it was expertly woven together with each additional viewing.  And there are so many characters that it was much easier to keep them straight the second time and even third time around.

I know there are more, but these are the ones that come to mind this morning.  What about you?  Have any movies that get better the more you watch them?

13 thoughts on “Monday Movie Meme – Token of Appreciation

1. Kaye says:

I picked Pride and Prejudice too. I enjoyed the BBC Mini Series as well and I love the book.

Silence of the Lambs does have great performances–it’s just so creepy I could only watch it twice.

Creepy, yes, but awesome 🙂

2. jennygirl says:

Can you hear the lambs Clarice?

That movie stand the test of time.
    This P&P version gets better for me as I re-watch it. Great list!

It really has gotten better for me each time, which is a good thing because it’s always on cable!

3. Margot says:

I like re-watching favorite movies. I know lots of people who don’t. There is just something special about seeing favorite scenes and characters over and over that is so appealing to me, and obviously to you too.

Most of the time I’m re-watching because it is comfortable, I rarely watch movies over and over again if I’m going to have to think every time 😉

4. Bumbles says:

Traffic was one of those – like Crash – where there is a lot going on that the terrific performances get overshadowed the first time around just trying to keep the plot straight.

No Country for Old Men is one that I would like to see a second time – the first time I felt the power and was left a bit confused. I want to go back and take it in again.

Something About Mary is just incredibly hysterical. I have seen that movie a gazillion times and it never gets old for me! Franks & Beans!

I’ve probably seen the franks and beans a gazillion times too 🙂

5. Heather says:

A big YES to P&P — I’ve watched that I don’t know how many times. I’ll pass on the horror flicks, though. *shudder*

(Just visiting, not participating this week)

I do fall in love with it a bit more each time I see it.

6. Stephanie Dellosa says:

Silence of the Lambs is as perfect a movie as one can get – most of its perfection due to Jodi Foster and Anthony Hopkins’s performances. Creepy and unforgettable.

It really is pretty close to perfection.

7. Staci says:

These are all great movies and I have to own up to laughing at every crude joke in Mary and for watching P&P over 20+ times!!! 🙂

These are the two winners from this list, it seems from the comments 🙂

8. Peter says:

Oh my goodness, Stacy! You listed 3 of my favorite movies — The Silence of the Lambs, There’s Something about Mary, and Crash. Yes, I never grow tired seeing these movies, even though I can now recite the lines verbatim.

Three very good and very different movies 🙂

9. The old roomate says:

The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Memento, and (just re-watched this weekend) L.A. Confidential.

If you really want to do a number on yourself, re-watch Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and wonder if it isn’t a complete fabrication and creation of a sick-in-bed Cameron, creating an alter ego (like Fight Club) who’s everything he’s not. Hmmm…

The Usual Suspects almost made my list, but I haven’t seen the other 3 more than once.
    And thanks for totally ruining Ferris for me!

• The old roomate says:

At least I didn’t pass along the Fight Club as grown-up Calvin and Hobbes theory. Yeesh.

Hope you guys are doing well.

Sure. Still working on a way to repay you for dinner!