The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Title: The Girl on the Train, Author: Paula HawkinsThe Girl on the Train. Finished 6-3-16, rating 4/5, thriller. pub. 2015

Unabridged audio read by Clare Corbett, Louise Brealey, India Fisher. 11 hours

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?    from Goodreads

I’m a little late on this one and that’s okay. There was so much hype it scared me away for a while. I’d seen the comparisons to Gone Girl and I had a love/hate relationship with that book. I do remember the end made me so mad that I wanted to throw it across the room (actually, that might have happened). So, I went into this one with dark, twisty expectations and it delivered.  As with Gone Girl, the multiple points of view and the hot mess of unlikable characters, were somehow elevated by terrific storytelling.

I don’t even really want to say more. I think the less you know the better.  I’ll just say that someone dies and there are quite a few people who could have done it.  And  Rachel, the first narrator, isn’t even the biggest hot mess of them all.  Quite a story. It may make you feel like going to your happy place afterward since none of those people have seen a happy place in just about forever.

Perfect for thriller lovers who like dark, twisty novels.

July 12, 2016 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. Wasn’t this good? I can’t wait for the movie to come out!

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 12, 2016 | Reply

• I forgot there was a movie! Should be good.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2016 | Reply

2. I enjoyed this one as well – no perfect but very enjoyable.

Comment by Diane | July 12, 2016 | Reply

• I liked it quite a bit and didn’t want to throw it across the room when I was done, like Gone Girl 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2016 | Reply

3. You liked it more than I did. I thought it was well-written but didn’t care about any of the 5 characters. I gave it a 2.5/4.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | July 12, 2016 | Reply

• Yes, the characters were a hot mess, but I really wanted to know if Rachel would make it through intact!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2016 | Reply

4. I really liked this story – much better than Gone Girl.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | July 12, 2016 | Reply

5. I liked this book much better than Gone Girl. It really convicted me about an attitude that I had towards a family member,

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | July 14, 2016 | Reply

• It’s a good thing when it can touch your life that way!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2016 | Reply

6. I thought it was really fun. I enjoyed that the characters were generally unlikeable. Everyone’s human, everyone’s messed up and everyone has a motive. A very fun thriller. I think I enjoyed this one more than Gone Girl as well. Looking forward to the movie!

Comment by hmsgofita | July 15, 2016 | Reply

• Me too, now that I know there is a movie! I need to look up who’s going to be in it!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 15, 2016 | Reply

7. I just watched the movie trailer for the upcoming movie and it looks like it sticks pretty close to the book. I enjoyed this one. I thought it was not at all like Gone Girl, with the exception of the unreliable narrators. I felt sorry for Rachel rather than dislike her like so many others.

Comment by Literary Feline | July 20, 2016 | Reply