Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

Title: Before the Fall, Author: Noah HawleyBefore the Fall. Finished 7-5-16, rating 4/5, thriller, 390 pages, pub. 2016

On a foggy summer night, eleven people—ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter—depart Martha’s Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the plane plunges into the ocean. The only survivors are Scott Burroughs—the painter—and a four-year-old boy, who is now the last remaining member of an immensely wealthy and powerful media mogul’s family.

With chapters weaving between the aftermath of the crash and the backstories of the passengers and crew members—including a Wall Street titan and his wife, a Texan-born party boy just in from London, a young woman questioning her path in life, and a career pilot—the mystery surrounding the tragedy heightens. As the passengers’ intrigues unravel, odd coincidences point to a conspiracy. Was it merely by dumb chance that so many influential people perished? Or was something far more sinister at work? Events soon threaten to spiral out of control in an escalating storm of media outrage and accusations. And while Scott struggles to cope with fame that borders on notoriety, the authorities scramble to salvage the truth from the wreckage.                                from Goodreads

I hate to fly, I do it when I have to because I know it will get me somewhere beautiful, but I still hate it.  This book started with a bang, or a blast, or a fire, or whatever might have brought the plane down and led is into cold Atlantic waters with a swimmer and a boy trying to survive.  Even knowing from the description that they will be safe didn’t make those pages any less tense or nail biting.  I was hooked.  What happens when the two hit land is where the story and the condemnation of 24 hour cable news, especially the ones touting a specific point of view, begins.

But journalism was something else, wasn’t it?  It was meant to be objective reporting of facts, no matter how contradictory. You didn’t make the news fit the story. You simply reported the facts as they were. When had that stopped being true?  (page 274)

This book has been called  the book to read this summer from just about every corner of the blogging and print world so I was curious.  I loved the first half of the book very much. The victims of the crash all had their say and it was compelling, even though they were dead.  The mystery of the crash remained and Scott was a character I wanted to figure out.  It is a very smart book.  I did think it was a little anticlimactic by the end, but I’d still recommend it.

I want to thank She Reads and the publisher for sending me a copy of the book to read.  She Reads is an excellent group and if you aren’t reading their blog then you are missing out!

July 20, 2016 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. I enjoyed this one as well, but, the ending was disappointing.

Comment by Diane | July 20, 2016 | Reply

• I agree. The first 3/4 was so good and then it sort of lost its way.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 20, 2016 | Reply

2. This book has gotten so much buzz. It sounds like I need to read it and be prepared to be let down at the end.

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 20, 2016 | Reply

• I think that the ending has disappointed most people.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 21, 2016 | Reply

3. I am definitely seeing it everywhere in the blogging world. And it sounds good. With all the books I’ve got in my TBR pile, I’m not sure the endorsement is ringing enough to get a hold of it. But maybe.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | July 20, 2016 | Reply

• It’s a smart book and if you can be prepared for the ending to be a little disappointing I still think it’s a good read.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 21, 2016 | Reply

4. I have seen this title around and been curious about it. I am glad you liked it even with the anticlimactic ending. I actually love flying, but my husband isn’t a fan. And it’s so expensive!

Comment by Literary Feline | July 20, 2016 | Reply

• I’m a TERRIBLE flight partner. I’m a mess up there. We haven’t taken Gage yet because I know the noise would be a problem. It is expensive and since Gage has special dietary needs it’s easier for us to pack up a car.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 21, 2016 | Reply

5. I just sort of assumed I didn’t “get” the ending, LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | July 21, 2016 | Reply

• Haha! I hadn’t thought of it. I guess I wasn’t smart enough 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 21, 2016 | Reply

6. My mom and I will be listening to this as we drive from Florida to Michigan next week.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | July 25, 2016 | Reply