Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is my first read of the year

Gone GirlGone Girl. Finished 1-11-13, rating 4/5, thriller, 415 pages, pub. 2012

I don’t often actively choose a book to be the first I read in a new year, too much pressure.  But as I was walking through the library after Christmas, Gone Girl just called out to me from the shelves.  I couldn’t resist.  I mean I’ve been reading so many raves about it that I was excited to read it.  Thankfully, I was not disappointed.

Nick and Amy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.  First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes blood on the kitchen floor.  As with most other reviews of this book, the less I say about the story the better.  It’s best to go in with no expectations.  I tried skim the reviews because I didn’t want my experience to be spoiled but I still caught a few hints that led me to a few good guesses.  It didn’t ruin the book at all.  But, in all honesty, I think Flynn does a good job of keeping you guessing no matter what you might expect.

I read Sharp Objects, Flynn’s first book, but I didn’t really care for it.  This one I really liked.  They are both dark novels with characters not always easy to like, but somehow, this one really worked for me.  I don’t know if it will end up on me year end favorite list, as seems to be the case with almost everyone who has read it, but it is one that I can happily recommend for the thriller lover with a twisty streak.

January 15, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. My niece lent me this book before I heard so much about it. I really enjoyed it. Now I recommend it to others.

Comment by Carol M | January 15, 2013 | Reply

2. “Nick and Amy sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes blood on the kitchen floor.” Best summary of the plot ever! LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks. I spent a little too much time trying to make it exactly right but gave up after 5 minutes (5 minutes is a lot of time these days!)

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

3. Without giving anything away, the twist half-way through made the book very worthwhile for me – even though I knew going in that something would change at that point.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• Yeah, I suspected the big twist too, but there were so many small ones that kept it riveting.

4. This is on my “hope to read it this year” list 😉

Comment by Mary | January 15, 2013 | Reply

5. A couple of my friends have been telling me to READ this. So after your review, I think it’ll have to go on my almost read next list 😉 It sounds so mysterious. It’s a build up, so I hope it delivers!

Comment by hmsgofita | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• my ‘almost read next list’ hee hee. Only a book blogger would say such a thing!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

6. I read this one, but did not like it as much as everyone else.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• It was actually darker than I expected and not in a totally good way.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

7. I must read this! Soon. Once I’ve recovered from the last thriller I read. LOL I am glad you liked this one, Stacy.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 15, 2013 | Reply

8. Everyone is raving about this book. I just don’t know if I am going to like it since it so dark.

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• As long as you know it’s dark going in you might be okay 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

9. This was one of my anxious to read books and I am in the minority and didn’t enjoy it. I knew halfway was coming but it made me angry, I was hoping something would change my opinion but it didn’t. Your KISSING was hilarious, well done Stacy.

BTW – I figured out how to comment to your blog from work, I had to download google chrome 😉

Comment by Tea Time with Marce | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• I’m sorry about having to use Chrome. There’s one blog I have to use that for and it makes me comment less.
      I had no idea til close to the end what would happen. It left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

10. Yikes! Blood on the kitchen floor? My book club will read this sometime this year so it shouldn’t be too long before I get to it.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | January 15, 2013 | Reply

11. Glad that this one was a 4 star read for you! I’ve read her other books and like them quite a bit..maybe I’m a bit more twisted!!?? LOL!! 😀

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | January 15, 2013 | Reply

• Yeah, I think she may be too twisted for me. Glad you are twisty enough to appreciate her 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

12. My dad is currently reading it and I get it next. I will most likely drop everything to read it which is something I rarely do. I can’t wait! Great review, Stacy. 🙂

Comment by thetruebookaddict | January 16, 2013 | Reply

13. It was “fun” in a twisted way wasn’t it? And I agree … the less you know, the better reading experience you have.

Comment by Jenners | January 16, 2013 | Reply

• Fun is not exactly the word I’d use. It was compelling in a twisted way. Like driving by a bad car crash and having to slow down to see the damage.

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

14. I can’t wait to read this one myself! I also have been avoiding the reviews but have heard lots of great things about it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Comment by Wrighty | January 16, 2013 | Reply

15. I think this one might be one of those books that get stuck on my to-read list, the ones I always say I want to get around to, but never do.

Comment by Carol | January 17, 2013 | Reply

• Wait until you forget everything you’ve read about it and then read it a month after that 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

16. I took this out of the library awhile back but unfortunately didn’t get to it before I had to return it. I’m glad you liked it. I tend to like dark novels so I still want to get to it at some point.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | January 17, 2013 | Reply

17. Glad you liked this one! It was definitely a twisty book that had me reading deep into the night. I knew NOTHING about it going in (except it was about marriage) but it’s certainly tough to talk about it without any kind of spoilers. Hope the next one is just as good!!

Comment by Trish | January 18, 2013 | Reply

• I don’t know if I can handle the next one!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

18. I loved this one and am glad that you liked it a lot, too! I’m excited to get to the others.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 19, 2013 | Reply

19. I actually returned this book to the library unfinished. I stalled out on it around the 100 page mark and couldn’t make myself go any further. But I’m not discounting it yet. I did the same thing with “The DaVinci Code” – I let it go a few years and tried again and loved it, so that’s my plan with this one. Glad you enjoyed it though 🙂

Comment by Tara | January 20, 2013 | Reply

• It did get bogged down in a few places but there comes a point when you just have to keep reading!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

20. Great way to start off the year! This is one of those books that everyone in our book club finished. Hard to put down!

Comment by susanbright | January 28, 2013 | Reply

• Hard to put down even if you wanted too!

Comment by stacybuckeye | February 2, 2013 | Reply

21. […] okay. There was so much hype it scared me away for a while. I’d seen the comparisons to Gone Girl and I had a love/hate relationship with that book. I do remember the end made me so mad that I […]

Pingback by The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins « Stacy's Books | July 12, 2016 | Reply

22. […] read comparisons to Gone Girl, a book I had a love/hate relationship with, and decided to give it a try because I was in the mood […]

Pingback by The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison « Stacy's Books | December 23, 2016 | Reply