Sundays with Gage – Summer Camp

IMG_7075This week Gage started summer camp and he his having a lot of fun, as you might be able to tell from the binoculars he made during jungle week.  They spend an hour each day outside in the kiddie pools or on the playground, what’s not to like about that?  In this Thrilling Three class they also eat lunch there, so for the first time I am having to come up with gluten-free, dairy-free, AND Kosher lunches (this is a Jewish preschool).  He pretty much had the same thing every day this week so I need to come up with a few more ideas today.

I don’t think I ever wrote about Gage’s school experiences this past year, but I’ll try to sum it up for you.  He entered our city’s integrated preschool (4 days) in the fall and then I sent him to this Jewish preschool one day a week.  After a few months his behavior was bad at the Jewish school and the director asked us to take a break during December and to come back in January.  I never sent him back.  Gage’s behaviors maybe were rough, but not anything we were seeing anywhere else.  I think some teachers who aren’t familiar with kids on the spectrum tend to place the blame there and leave it at that.  It was a shame.  But, we wanted to send him back to spend the summer with his old friends (and it’s less than 5 minutes from our house) and I talked to the director about it and she told me that I would have to send a shadow with him.  We decided to pay for the camp and the aides, with the understanding that maybe we could cut the aides time down after a few weeks if he was doing well.

On Friday she pulled me aside when I dropped him off to tell me that we have done an amazing job with him and that her daughter (one of his teachers) said with or without the aide he was one of the best kids in the class.  She told me how she found it hard to believe he even had a diagnosis.   Did this make me feel good?  Yes, of course it did.  I am sure that he will have bad days just like any other kid, but he made it through the week without his aides having to do anything.  Well, our Friday aide helped them change diapers – so glad we can pay for an extra pair of hands (sarcasm).

So, yes I am happy and it’s nice to know that he is doing as well as I thought he would in the first place.  And I’m hoping that he has another great week so that I can confidently tell the director, “I told you so!”

June 29, 2014 - Posted by | Gage

1. Yay for Gage and yay for parents who believe in their kids!!

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 29, 2014 | Reply

2. Way to go Gage! I am glad he is enjoying camp and is showing the director up. 🙂 It sounds like she and her staff need more training (or to be trained at all) in regards to working with children on the spectrum. I know it must be frustrating at times, but you are doing a great job, Stacy.

Comment by Literary Feline | June 29, 2014 | Reply

3. I’m so happy to hear Gage is doing well and that the director even commented on how she finds it hard to believe he is diagnosed! I’m usually a lurker, but I had to say this!

Also, if you’re looking for recipe ideas, browse Chaviva’s blog at http://www.thekvetchingeditor.com for recipes. She also has links all over the place for kosher, gluten-free recipes from other blogs. (She has even found a recipe for cinnamon rolls!)

Comment by Kathrin | June 29, 2014 | Reply

4. Glad to hear that things are going well for him.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 29, 2014 | Reply

5. Good for Gage!!

Comment by pinkim95 | June 29, 2014 | Reply

6. You should be feeling pretty proud Stacy.

Comment by diane | June 29, 2014 | Reply

7. Ha! He totally showed them!

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | June 30, 2014 | Reply

8. I’m so happy to read this post, Stacy! Can only imagine how proud you must be 🙂

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 30, 2014 | Reply

9. Yay for Gage and his wonderful parents! He is so amazing and he seems to love summer camp.

Comment by Gage's grandma | June 30, 2014 | Reply

10. Glad you had a positive turn about with this school, and that Gage is having a great time.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 30, 2014 | Reply

11. YAY for awesome parents and I’m glad Gage is loving summer camp. We were asked to leave a private catholic pre-school when my eldest son was little, they couldn’t cope with his behaviour or meet his needs (didn’t want to was more to the point) but moving him to the public school system was the best decision and eventually lead to his diagnosis … was a long road way back then lol. You are Gage’s ‘champion’ … great job!

Comment by Teddyree | July 1, 2014 | Reply

12. Good job Gage! And you too. Time and patience pay off.

Comment by Leslie | July 2, 2014 | Reply

13. I’m glad to hear he is doing so well.

Comment by kelley | July 5, 2014 | Reply

14. […] you remember last week’s proud and a little boastful post about how well Gage was doing at camp?  When I posted it I wondered if it was going to come back […]

Pingback by Sundays with Gage – Jinxed! « Stacy's Books | July 6, 2014 | Reply