Miracle Cure by Harlan Coben

Miracle CureMiracle Cure. Finished 6-14-14, rating 3/5, thriller, 391 pages, pub. 1991

A stunning, controversial, nonstop thriller that careens through the inner halls of high-stakes medical research, the upper echelons of Washington politics, and the steamy streets of Bangkok, on the trail of a dangerous and deadly cure for AIDS.

from Goodreads

On the very first page of this re-released book is a note from the author, bestselling author Harlan Coben.  He tells you to put it down if you haven’t read any other books by him. Why?  Well, the very obvious reason is that the book isn’t really up to snuff with his other thrillers.  I think this is his second book and while I’m a huge fan, I’m not sure if I’ll be going back to read the first.

This centers around a clinic looking for and possibly finding a cure for AIDS in the early 90’s.  Their top-secret patients are showing signs of being cured and the three doctors are trying to perfect the treatment before going public.  Newswoman Sara and her NBA player, Michael, are good friends with one of the doctors and are very familiar with the clinic.  There is a religious televangelist trying to make AIDS into God’s war against gays and there are politicians more than willing to settle old scores before considering what’s best for the American people.  Oh, and there is a gay slasher who is killing the cured.

There’s a lot going on and Coben deftly keeps the story moving. I didn’t mind the outdated story about AIDS, it’s a snapshot of a time that I remember well, but there were pages of fairly preachy dialogue that I just barely skimmed past.  The story was all over the place and there were plenty of loose ends, but I was surprised by the killer, so that was good.

Who should read this one?  Anyone who thinks their writing is no good and never will be.  Read this and then Tell No One and see how far one author can go.  This was from my personal library.

June 19, 2014 - Posted by | 3 Star Books |

1. I’ve only read a couple of his books – the first was an audio book you sent me. I think I’ll stick with the more recent ones for now.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 19, 2014 | Reply

• I forgot I sent you an audio book. That must have been ages ago!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

2. This is an author I haven’t read. I love that he tells you to put it down if you haven’t read any other books by him!!

Comment by Vicki | June 20, 2014 | Reply

• I think he’s afraid of losing potential fans!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

3. I’ve read several of his books, and even the more recent ones seem to be hit or miss. I’ve got another one loaded on my iPod but because he is inconsistent, I have been sitting on it for awhile. I find it interesting he puts that disclaimer in the Foreward!

Comment by sandynawrot | June 20, 2014 | Reply

• It left me with a pretty clear idea that he was not proud of this book. Said he hadn’t even read it since it was first published!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

4. My gosh I though I had read everything by Harlan so I was shocked to see this is a re-release and I have not read it. I will get this one as soon as I can. I am on a Board for a camp that helps people infected and affected with AIDS, while the book may seem outdated – the topic sure is not. Thank you for chatting up this one 🙂

Comment by Sheila (Book Journey) | June 20, 2014 | Reply

• I think there was one more early work that was re-released. I’m not sure if I’ll be checking that out and, like you, I’ve read all of his other books.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

5. There was another author who said that about one of his older books too. I wish I could remember who. Robert Crais maybe. I’ve still only ever read one book by Coben. I really need to read more by him.

Comment by Literary Feline | June 22, 2014 | Reply

• I love his Myron books and Tell No One is still my standalone fave.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

6. And I thought I’d read all of his books … but I haven’t read this one. You know I’m a fan but not sure whether I want to read this one. Do you know if the re-issue had the benefit of editing or a do-over?

Comment by Teddyree | June 23, 2014 | Reply

• He mentioned that he hadn’t even read the book since it was first released! I don’t know if the publisher had the rights and did it even though Harlan wasn’t crazy about it, It SEEMS that way, but who knows?

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 23, 2014 | Reply

7. Like you, I read Miracle Cure well after I had read a bunch of his other books. And I have to say that I liked it quite a bit – along with the 1st one. They weren’t Myron Bolitar or post-Myron Bolitar quality, but I thought they were both good reads and recommendation-worthy.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 25, 2014 | Reply

• If this had been the first book I’d read by him I would have been entertained enough, but not sought him out to read again.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 27, 2014 | Reply