Sundays with Gage – to the circus

A few weeks ago we took Gage to his first circus.  It was a small one, held in a local armory, and perfect for his first experience.  Perfect because he didn’t last long, our $20 investment was worth the 30 minutes.  I’m finding that  he really doesn’t like big noisy crowds, well, at least when he is expected to sit and focus for any length of time.  He’s only 3 so  think we can give him a pass 😉  When we got to the circus we saw a boy who Gage knew and the boys lined up for front kneeling seats.

IMG_6435Then we moved to Daddy’s lap for awhile.IMG_6441And then we checked out the big clownIMG_6456All in all a good first experience.  He was able to see a monkey and miniature horse act, but we didn’t stay long enough for the dogs.

I tried to find some good circus books for him after and the one that he loves (and so do I) is Stay:The True Story of Ten Dogs by Michaela Muntean with photographs by KC Bailey abd Stephen Kazmierski.  40 pages. Perfect for preschoolers.

The True Story of Ten Dogs: Stay

This is the story of Luciano Anastasini, born to generations of circus performers.  He fell from the high wire and broke so many bones it took four operations to put him back together.  He needed a new act if he wanted to continue performing and he found one.  He rescued dogs that no one else wanted and worked with them until he had a show.

This book warmed my  heart as it will any dog lover.  The story, the bio of each dog, the overall theme of second chances left a smile on my face and a desire to see them in action.

Gage likes the beautiful photography of each dog and their circus act.  He looks through it almost every day.  I really can’t recommend this one enough.

I checked it out of the library and will be sad to take it back.

June 8, 2014 - Posted by | Gage, Kids Books | ,

1. What fun pics!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | June 8, 2014 | Reply

2. I think you made a wise choice in finding a small circus… the bigger ones were overwhelming for my kids until they were 8 or 9.

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• I was surprised at how well some of the younger kids handled this one.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

3. When my kids were small, the only circus we took them to was at the local armory. Big ones are just too much for little ones, at least I think so.

That book does look cute!

Comment by Vicki | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• It was a good size, maybe next year we’ll strive fir 45 minutes!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

4. 3 is still young Stacy. My 2 liked the circus best when they were in the 5-10 age range.

Comment by diane | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks for reminding me that Gage is young – sometimes I forget. And no, I’m not being sarcastic!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

5. There’s always so much going on at a circus, I can see how it would be overwhelming for little ones.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• I was ready to fo home after 30 minutes myself 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

6. Circus! How fun 🙂 Glad he was able to hang on for a little bit!

Comment by Heather | June 8, 2014 | Reply

7. What fun! Thanks for sharing, and the book looks wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Comment by laurelrainsnow | June 8, 2014 | Reply

8. My kids were never fans of the circus. I do like the book. I am on the look out for books for our soon to arrive grandson.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• Required reading for any dog lover! And the photos are so big and vibrant I think all ages will enjoy it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

9. Thanks for sharing your photos. I’m glad you had a good time. Stay: The True Story of Ten Dogs sounds perfect!

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | June 9, 2014 | Reply

10. I am glad Gage’s first experience with the circus went well. How fun for the family! I remember Mouse not being able to sit in one spot for long, she was so excited. 🙂

Stay sounds like an awesome book.

Comment by Literary Feline | June 9, 2014 | Reply

• Yeah, even in the 30 minutes we were there it was a challenge to keep him interested.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 13, 2014 | Reply

11. Glad you had fun at the circus. Looks like a cute book.

Comment by Carol | June 9, 2014 | Reply

12. looks like he had a good time.

Comment by kelley | June 26, 2014 | Reply