Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

Northanger AbbeyNorthanger Abbey. Finished audio 5-7-14, rating 4/5, classic, pub. 1817

Unabridged audio 7 hours 40 minutes, read by Anna Massey

A wonderfully entertaining coming-of-age story, Northanger Abbey is often referred to as Jane Austen’s “Gothic parody.” Decrepit castles, locked rooms, mysterious chests, cryptic notes, and tyrannical fathers give the story an uncanny air, but one with a decidedly satirical twist.

The story’s unlikely heroine is Catherine Morland, a remarkably innocent seventeen-year-old woman from a country parsonage. While spending a few weeks in Bath with a family friend, Catherine meets and falls in love with Henry Tilney, who invites her to visit his family estate, Northanger Abbey. Once there, Catherine, a great reader of Gothic thrillers, lets the shadowy atmosphere of the old mansion fill her mind with terrible suspicions. What is the mystery surrounding the death of Henry’s mother? Is the family concealing a terrible secret within the elegant rooms of the Abbey? Can she trust Henry, or is he part of an evil conspiracy? Catherine finds dreadful portents in the most prosaic events, until Henry persuades her to see the peril in confusing life with art.

from Goodreads

Catherine was a charming, and naive teen who lost herself in novels.  Her imagination and youth made for a nice beginning as she sets off for Bath with family friends, wide-eyed and looking for adventure.  She finds it with the Thorpes and Tilneys, both sister and brother pairs offering her a different view of the world.  By the time Henry invites her back to his home, you would think that she had gained enough experience to settle her, but youthful exuberance and a penchant for looking for drama won out.

I liked Catherine.  She wasn’t as nuanced as some of Austen’s other heroines, but I did like the her fresh, excited eyes way of looking at the world.  Her imagination did come face to face with reality and she suffered from misplaced friendship and judgement based on her family’s wealth.  She never lost her spark.

I’ve now read 5 of Austen’s 6 completed novels and this one felt so different from the others.  I’d put it right in the middle with Persuasion and Pride & Prejudice at the top and Sense & Sensibility and Emma at the bottom (I may have to give Emma another chance someday because so many people adore her).   The story was fun and enjoyable.

I listened to and read this book.

June 6, 2014 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I really need to read more Austen… is it a goal Maybe this fall or winter I will go on a reading binge 😉

Comment by Sheila (Book Journey) | June 6, 2014 | Reply

2. I have to read more Austen at some point.

Comment by Tony Laplume | June 6, 2014 | Reply

3. Would you believe that I have never read Austen? Maybe I need to give one a try to see what I’m missing.

Comment by Vicki | June 6, 2014 | Reply

4. I’m kind of embarrassed to admit how little of Austen’s work I’ve read. What I find fascinating is how those 6 novels have inspired so many more.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 6, 2014 | Reply

5. I really enjoyed this one, and I laughed throughout. My favorites are Emma, Persuasion, and P&P, but I do love all of her novels. I’d have to say my least favorite is Mansfield Park, but I haven’t read it in years, and I’ve grown to appreciate Fanny more since then, so I think it’s time for a re-read.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | June 7, 2014 | Reply

6. I’m such an Austen fan, but have never listened to one of her books. Northanger Abbey is SO different from the others, but I loved it… feels like Jane at her funniest!

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 7, 2014 | Reply

7. I got this as a free book on my Kindle about a year ago and really enjoyed it. I’ll admit I was quite surprised by that. I think it’s one of my favourites. 🙂

Comment by clicksclan | June 8, 2014 | Reply

8. Great review! I haven’t read Jane Austen’s books. So many people seem to love them. I’m glad you enjoyed this one.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | June 8, 2014 | Reply

9. Persuasion is my favorite, then P&P, Sense and Sensibility, then Northanger Abbey, Emma, and I will never get through Mansfield Park…thank goodness for movie magic to bring the stories to life when I don’t want to slog through the book! Glad you enjoyed this one. It was a pleasant surprise for me too!

Comment by Heather | June 8, 2014 | Reply

10. Emma is my least favorite too. I need to listen to Mansfield Park and I will have read and listened to them all. A couple of them numerous times.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 8, 2014 | Reply

11. I haven’t yet read this one yet, but I want to. I am one of those who really likes Emma. The character grated on my nerves initially, but the more I read and thought about the character, the more I appreciated how much she grew over the course of the novel.

Comment by Literary Feline | June 9, 2014 | Reply

12. I adore them all so I don’t think I could ever rate them. I just watch or reread depending on the mood I’m in. All of Austen’s characters are likeable, even the ones that aren’t supposed to be.

Comment by kelley | June 26, 2014 | Reply

13. […] Oldest book read? Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen […]

Pingback by 2014 Book Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2014 | Reply

14. […] wasn’t sure I was going to compare the two because I listened to the book in 2014 and so many of the details alluded me, but after I watched the 2007 movie and re-read my book review […]

Pingback by N- Book Vs. Movie – Northanger Abbey « Stacy's Books | April 17, 2017 | Reply