May’s Movies

A fine month of some quality theater time.  I loved both documentaries and recommend them highly!

Add your 5 words (or less!) to mine and earn $1 for charity.  Once we get to $100 the person with the most reviews will choose the charity.  Click here to see the past winners, the charities they chose and the other reviews you can add to.  Anyone is welcome to join in at any time.

I hope that you will take a few minutes to participate when you can each month.  It’s fun for me and for everyone else who reads it.  I’m not looking for a critical review, just a few words about how you felt about the movie.  This is ongoing so you can leave your 5 words anytime.

We’re up to $26

Happy film.jpgHappy, 2011. Documentary.                                                                             Grade B+

What truly makes us happy?

Great for reevaluating my happiness.  (Heather)

Dead poets society.jpgDead Poets Society, 1989 (Cast-Robin Williams, Robert Sean Leonard, Josh Charles, Ethan Hawke, Kurtwood Smith)      Grade B

Poetry rocks boys boarding school

‘Distinction’ worthy performance years ago  (Sheree)

Poignant movie on following dreams.  (Heather)

O captain, my captain.  Indeed.  (Tony)

Fed Up poster.jpgFed Up, 2014. Documentary.                                                                                 Grade B

The sugar is killing us!

Madagascar2poster.jpgMadagascar 2, 2008 (Voices-Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, Jada Pinkett Smith, David Schwimmer)        Grade B

Prodigal son returns to Africa!

Love story for Melman rules!  (Heather)

A Million Ways to Die in the West poster.jpgA Million Ways to Die in the West, 2014     (Cast- Seth MacFarlane, Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson, Sarah Silverman,  Giovanni Ribisi, Amanda Seyfried, Neal Patrick Harris)   Grade C

It had its LOL moments

A truly hilarious Western satire.  (Tony)

Neighbors (2013) Poster.jpgNeighbors, 2014 (Cast-Seth Rogen, Zac Ephron, Rose Byrne, Dave Franco)           Grade C-

Get high or get even?

Switchposter10.jpgThe Switch, 2010 (Cast-Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston,Patrick Wilson, Jeff Goldblum)    Grade D+

Ill conceived plot about conception

Jennifer Aniston couldn’t save it.  (Sheree)

Stereotypical man comedy on family.   (Heather)

I started using Letterboxd this year thanks to Sandy.  If you are interested in rating your movies and keeping tabs on your friends, check it out (sort of like Goodreads).  I’m stacybuckeye if you want to follow me and get a few more than 5 words about the movies I watched.

June 4, 2014 - Posted by | 5 Word Movie Reviews |

1. I will have to check out Letterboxd. I love IMDB for my movie info but sometimes wish it was more like goodreads. I never can remember which movies I want to watch when it is time to watch one.

Comment by Care | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I haven’t startedusing it as a wish list yet – I’m not that organized- but I know I can when I get myself organized enough!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

2. I haven’t been to the movies in a while so I haven’t seen any of those. :/

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 4, 2014 | Reply

3. The only one of these I’ve seen is Dead Poets Society, but it was so long ago that all I remember is I enjoyed it.

Comment by Carol | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I remember that I watched it way back when too, but found that I over-remembered Robin Williams.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

4. nothing outstanding, huh? Too bad about Neighbors…I think it looks funny but it’s definitely one I’d rather watch from the comfort of my couch (since we go to the movies so rarely). I think I saw The Switch but I can’t remember the details now. Jason Bateman is very hit or miss for me. Hope your next movie is a homerun!

Comment by Trish | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I usually like Jason Bateman, but he’s in so many movie there are bound to be duds.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

5. Of these I have only ever seen Dead Poet’s Society but I loved that one and really thought some of the young actors gave really powerful performances. My son enjoyed it too so that was a bonus, when we got to watch and enjoy it together.

Comment by boardinginmyforties | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I loved seeing all of those actors as youngsters. There were all excellent. It is a great movie to shaire with your son!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

6. I need to make Million Ways a priority if only for NPH (that’s Neil Patrick Harris for people who aren’t big fans). But it’s got a…million?…other selling points, too.

Comment by Tony Laplume | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• NPH was excellent so I think you will love it! I’m still humming the moustache song 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

7. A handy movie theater is one of the biggest things I miss since we moved three years ago. We rarely see a movie anymore until they hit TV. Dead Poet’s Society is one of our favorites – but in small doses. 🙂

Comment by Tami | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I mentioned on Facebook that that last time we went to our local theater I found that they added a bar! I got a glass of wine just because I could!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

8. I enjoy reading these. I rarely watch movies but at least now I know which ones to avoid renting! My bookclub is planning on going to see Gone Girl when it comes out later this year so I may actually get to the theater.

Comment by Leslie | June 4, 2014 | Reply

• I’m interested to see what they do with Gone Girl but I heard they changed the ending and that would pretty much change the whole book!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• I had heard that too. And the ending is what bookclub had the biggest discussion about.

Comment by Leslie | June 9, 2014

9. The Switch … Jennifer Aniston couldn’t save it.

Dead Poet’s Society … ‘Distinction’ worthy performance years ago

Haven’t seen any of the others, well maybe Madagascar 2 but I don’t remember so …

Comment by Teddyree | June 6, 2014 | Reply

• I like Aniston, but am in no awe of her acting chops. When she chooses good roles I like her. It’s the cutie Jason Bateman that had me watching The Switch.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

10. Happy: Great for reevaluating my happiness.

Dead Poets Society: Poignant movie on following dreams.

Madagascar 2: Love story for Melman rules!

The Switch: Stereotypical man comedy on family.

Comment by Heather | June 8, 2014 | Reply

11. […] watched actor- Jason Bateman with 4 films. (Horrible Bosses 2, This is Where I Leave You, The Switch, Identity […]

Pingback by 2014 Movie Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 30, 2014 | Reply