Mailbox Monday – June 2

mmb-300x282Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week.Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists.

I received three books in the mail the past few weeks.

IMG_6607

That Night by Chevy Stevens  (from St. Martin’s Press)

As a teenager, Toni Murphy had a life full of typical adolescent complications: a boyfriend she adored, a younger sister she couldn’t relate to, a strained relationship with her parents, and classmates who seemed hell-bent on making her life miserable. Things weren’t easy, but Toni could never have predicted how horrific they would become until her younger sister was brutally murdered one summer night.

Toni and her boyfriend, Ryan, were convicted of the murder and sent to prison.

The Blonde by Anna Godbersen (a win from Tara at Tales of a Book Addict)

Part biography, part spy thriller, and part love story, THE BLONDE is a whip-smart re-imagining of the relationship between Marilyn Monroe and John F. Kennedy that draws on historical events to create a dark tale of American celebrity, sex, love, violence, power, and paranoia.

Collision:The Battle for Darracia by Michael Phillip Cash (from the author)

The Darracia saga continues with all the key players spread out and searching for answers throughout the solar system. Prince V’sair struggles to hold his fractured kingdom together without help from his family. His stepbrother Zayden is on a vengeful hunt for his evil uncle Staf Nuen. Tulani navigates her two worlds trying to bring them together. Staf Nuen, the orchestrator of the original coup, is making unholy alliances with nefarious new allies. Like the comet zipping across the horizon, all the different factions are heading for a collision course that will test both their faith and power.

And I went to a huge book sale at Case Western Reserve University yesterday.  There were over 75,000 books and I showed enough restraint to only come home with these…

IMG_6611

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton

Blessings by Anna Quindlen

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

The Whole Golden World by Kristina Riggle

Little Face by Sophie Hannah

The Unfinished Garden by Barbara Claypole White

So, have you read any of these?  Anything fun arrive in your mailbox this week?

June 2, 2014 - Posted by | Mailbox Monday

1. That Night is supposed to be terrific! All of the books you picked up at the book sale look good to me – I’ve read 3 of them already.

Comment by BermudaOnion | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• I’ve not read Chevy Stevens yet so I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

2. Enjoy all your books and have a good read.

Comment by Mystica | June 2, 2014 | Reply

3. WOW you did show restraint! I read The Whole Golden World and enjoyed it. Kristina is a local author. The Color Purple is a classic.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• I think I first heard about Kristin Riggle from you and I’ve been wanting to give her a try.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

4. Looks like you found some good books at the sale. I liked The Unfinished Garden.

Comment by Mary | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• It looks good, but I admit, it’s the cover that caught my eye first 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

5. Book sale season is just getting underway here and I can’t wait to hit a few. Sure looks like a great haul, Stacy. Enjoy!

Comment by lakesidemusing | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• This is my favorite one every year and I can’t ever get out of the auditorium in less than and hour and a half. I always find fun things there. This you I also found 3 puzzles, old postcards, and a nice photo book for Gage. And add my total with the books was $10.50!

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

6. I got the same book from Michael Philip Cash. I feel guilty, though, because I’ve gotten 3 other novels by Michael, along with a novella, and haven’t read any of them. Unfortunately, I don’t know if I feel guilty enough to read them.
    I have read Blessings by Anna Quindlen. I remember liking it a lot. It’s only her last couple of books that I didn’t like as well as the earlier ones.
    Sounds like much fun to go to such a big book sale.

Comment by Lloyd Russell | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• Yes, I receoved the first of this series by Michael and I gave it away during the read-a-thon to a reader who wanted to read it – yea! I might email her and see if she wants the sequel too. He did send me Stillwell and I plan on giving that a try someday.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

7. I’ve read that Grafton (ages ago, want to start that series over from the beginning), The Color Purple is FAB!, and Eats Shoots and Leaves is a good laugh.

Comment by Word Lily | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• I finally read A last year and don’t want to wait too long to continue with the series.

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 2, 2014 | Reply

8. Wow! You got some good ones…I loved The Blonde and That Night…and from your book sale, you have so many good ones, like Little Face, The Whole Golden World, the Grafton book, and Blessings. Not to mention The Color Purple. You are in for a treat! Enjoy….and here’s MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST

Comment by laurelrainsnow | June 2, 2014 | Reply

9. The Blonde and That Night are both on my reading schedule. I’ve been reluctantly staying away from book sales because I have, ummmm, too many books. 🙂

Comment by Leslie | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• Oh, Leslie, can you ever really have too many book?

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

• Theoretically, no. But my bookshelves are full and I’m tripping over the piles on the floor in my office. I suppose I could buy taller shelves!

Comment by Leslie | June 9, 2014

10. You did very well at the book sale! I wonder how good my restraint would be. 🙂 The last couple times we’ve been to Barnes and Noble, I’ve been very good, but that’s because my husband’s been with Mouse and me.

I hope you enjoy your new books!

Comment by Literary Feline | June 2, 2014 | Reply

• I exercised great restraint and this is the first year since I started going 7 years ago that I haven’t brought home a book I already owned! Yea me 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

11. Oh, I want the Chevy Stevens book –enjoy

Comment by diane | June 2, 2014 | Reply

12. Looks like you got some good ones! I have not read any of them but I did see the Color Purple movie. I hope you enjoy them!

Comment by Heather | June 3, 2014 | Reply

13. Everyone seems to be reading That Night, can’t wait to hear what it’s like. I’m impressed with your restraint at the sale but good choices with The Color Purple and The Unfinished Garden. Happy reading 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | June 5, 2014 | Reply

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

14. ENJOY That Night. It was good as the book continued. The beginning was background, and sort of made it slow, but the ending was GREAT!! Don’t give up.

Have a great rest of your reading week.

Elizabeth
    Silver’s Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

Comment by Elizabeth P. (Silver's Reviews) | June 5, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks for the warning about the That Night. Glad you ended up liking it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | June 8, 2014 | Reply

15. I’m slightly jealous of the Chevy Stevens book…. It sounds really good! Enjoy!!

Comment by Tara | June 6, 2014 | Reply

16. Great book sale finds. Happy reading!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | June 7, 2014 | Reply