Weekends with Gage-Welcome to 2014!

Gage wasn’t on the blog much this year, but that will change in 2014 as I plan on having Weekends with Gage every week.  I will have the usual kid book reviews, kid book activities, some milestones, but I’ve also decided to go back to basics and come out of the closet, such as it is.  I miss blogging about being Gage’s mom and after I read through my posts from that first year I was so glad that I had taken the time because they are all moments I can’t get back.  The coming out of the closet part is a closet that some of you already know about but now one that I am taking public on the blog, last December before Christmas Gage was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (for him the mild side of autism).  Last year I wasn’t up to talking about about it and Jason didn’t think it was fair to blog about Gage when he had no control or say over it, but we’ve come to an understanding 🙂  This past year I have found so many bloggers who have already been through what we are going through and lived to tell the tale and they were a source of comfort and information to me and I think I can add to the conversation.  Gage’s PDD diagnosis is a small part of who he is (some therapists aren’t even sure the diagnosis is correct) but a part I want to acknowledge because otherwise it seems like I think it’s something bad or embarrassing and that’s not true.  I couldn’t be prouder of him.  He is super smart and comes up with some of the best lines.  He is doing well because he’s worked so hard this year and the sky’s the limit for 2014!

Jason’s dad came over the weekend and I had the chance to recreate a photo I took in May 2011.  Oh my how times have changed 🙂  Forgive the quality – I only had time for the camera phone!

ej&g

December 29, 2013 - Posted by | Gage |

1. Stacy, glad to hear that Gage will be a regular part of your blog. I’ve enjoying watching his progress through crafts etc with you.

As a grandma of a 20 mth old and 2 more on the way, may I ask how you suspected that Gage might have had issued. Our 20mth Stella is very smart but slow to talk. Knows many objects etc but says fewer than 20 words.

Wishing you continued success with your little cutie.

Diane

Sent from my iPhone

Comment by Bib | December 29, 2013 | Reply

• Diane,
      My first inkling was his lack of good eye contact and interaction from the start that didn’t get better with age. Both have improved dramatically over the past year. My pediatrician told me (and still does) that he’s completely fine, but at 23 months he didn’t have any two word combos (plenty of words though) so I wanted him tested. Gage’s speech is actually pretty good but he has speech therapy once or twice a week.
      Thanks for the encouragement 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 29, 2013 | Reply

2. I love the sparkle in Gage’s eyes! He’s a terrific little guy so I can see why you’re proud of him. He’s lucky to have y’all as parents and you’re lucky to have him as a son! I’m looking forward to seeing more of him on your blog.

Comment by BermudaOnion | December 29, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Kathy! Don’t let him fool you that sparkle is pure ornery 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 29, 2013 | Reply

3. I’ve said it before, and I say it again … you are a terrific mom, Stacy. I echo Diane in wishing you continued success! Wishing you and your family lots of blessings and happiness in 2014.

Comment by Beth Hoffman | December 29, 2013 | Reply

• Thank you Beth! I am always in need of cheerleaders and I can always count on your positive outlook 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 29, 2013 | Reply

4. Yeah! More Gage! He is such a wonderful boy and I am glad you are in a place to share what is going on in your lives. I know you can add to the conversation and will in turn help others! Happy New Year to you all.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | December 29, 2013 | Reply

• Nise, I appreciated your supportive words from the start of our journey. They made me cry, but in a good way (everything made me cry for a good 6 months anyway ;)).

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 29, 2013 | Reply

5. Gage has an amazing mom and dad! I look forward to seeing more of him this year and all that you do with him and for him! Hugs and loves from me 🙂

Comment by Heather | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Heather! One day he and Gabe can have their own blogs.

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

6. It helps to share your journey with these things. My Gabe has ADHD and anxiety disorder (and I also suspect very mild autism though he is not officially diagnosed with that) and it has been a lot of extra work with him and the schools, etc. We started him on a new medicine last month and it is really so much better for him. After being in trouble a lot since the start of the school year, he is finally back on track with the meds and regular counseling. It’s a hard road, but it’s worth it when it’s the love(s) of your life…your child(ren). 🙂

It will be nice to see Gage on the blog again. Happy New Year to you all!

Re: the pic…my, he has really grown!

Comment by thetruebookaddict | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Michelle. It does help to know that all mothers are dealing with something. Kids that need extra support are so much work sometimes that it’s hard to remember that. I;m glad Gabe is responding to the meds. We aren’t opposed to that in the future, but he’s too young now.

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

7. They grow so fast don’t they? I applaud you for speaking up about Gage’s diagnosis. It is hard – it is so personal and emotional because it is your kid. I don’t know if you follow Farm Lane Books (Jackie) but one of her son’s was diagnosed with Asperger’s, and she has been pretty open about it. It definitely affects the types of books she reads. About a year ago my teenage son was diagnosed with something similar to truebookaddict…ADHD, anxiety and depression. It is has been a very tough year, with a gazillion doctor appointments, medications, and issue after issue with the school. I haven’t said much about it online because he IS 14 and knows when I post stuff, and want to honor his privacy. But I do reach out to others in my circle of friends, and it helps to talk. A very good friend of mine has a daughter with all kinds of things…autism, Asperger’s, anxiety, etc. and actually had a blog for awhile called “Diagnosing Mary”. I think that really helped her work out her feelings. 🙂

Comment by sandynawrot | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Sandy. For me it was hard to review some of the books I read or write books about Gage without mentioning that extra piece of his life. I’m sorry you are going through issues with your son I can see where it would be almost impossible to talk about them on the blog while dealing with a teen boy’s privacy. I’ll have to connect with Jackie and see if I can find the blog. Community is important and sometimes online is the easiest one for me right now.

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

8. Yaaaaaay for Weekends with Gage!!!! The best part of weekend blogs! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | December 30, 2013 | Reply

9. Oh Stacy, I had no idea this was the reason you wrote less about Gage. I know this is difficult and so personal – but I think like you rightly pointed out – such a miniscule part what of who he is. It is nothing to be worried about. Since Aarya’s birth we had to deal with issues too ( one of his feet could turn 180 degrees and later he had bow-leg thing and then flat foot and so on) and as you have seen, my blogging came to a stand-still not because I did not want to read and blog or anything but I just read so much about kiddo stuff, I never had energy or time for anything else. It is exhausting – all the opinions and all the gazillion things you should have done to prevent it (according to others) – very emotionally draining for me! It took me an year to come out of it, and now as you see – he is absolutely ok (he has flat – foot – but then i have it too). ANd it seems as though I wasted 3 years of his beautiful life worrying about something that was a no-issue from the beginning. My focus on the “how – bad- will it- become” was the killer. Since then we still have speech – delay issues and all that… but my focus is now on just enjoying our times together, doing more stuff together and just being healthy and not bother much about anything else – and I know in my heart and mind that he is going to be just fine. So all I want to tell you is, Gage is going to be just fine, and he is super adorable and he is getting tall and handsome just like his Dad and GrandDad… looking forward to reading more about him 🙂

Comment by Veens | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• I wrote my comment in a very emotional state-of-mind (brought back a lot of tough memories), so it looks all muddled up to me. I am sorry, I hope you understand what I wanted to say 🙂

Comment by Veens | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Veens, I knew you were dealing with speech issues but not the other stuff. It does become more about the what-if and the worst case scenario, doesn’t it? It’s taken me most of this year to come to terms with it and move past that. With autism he has so many different therapies, about 20-25 hours a week plus school in the mornings so life gets hectic and it’s hard to just enjoy. I’m trying. I wish our guys could get together and play 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• It is hard. We are still struggling, we all are. I think you are doing a great job, look at how happy and adorable he is. I know it is not the same all the time, but I am praying that your sweet kiddo has an awesome year ahead. I hope your family has a fabulous, less-stressful and happy Year ahead. And as I said, looking forward to ‘Sundays with Gage’.

Comment by Veens | December 30, 2013

10. He seems like a pretty great kid. His parents must be doing something right.

Comment by snoozing on the sofa | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Huh. I’ll have to think about that one because I can’t think of a thing!

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

11. Gage is an awesome boy who has equally awesome parents. He is loving, smart, funny, entertaining and so much more. He has grown and matured so much during the past year. He is amazing and constantly surprises me with what he says and does. I love Sundays with Gage – glad you are bringing it back!

Comment by Gage's Grandma | December 30, 2013 | Reply

12. Stacy, you definitely have support throughout the blogger community. In fact, of all the bloggers that I follow, you were the first and certainly the one that I feel the closest connection to you (with Kathy #2).

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Stacy’s Books

Comment by Lloyd Russell | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• That’s so sweet Lloyd! I am jealous of all of your bookstore adventures so I love seeing what you are up to on your blog 🙂 I like to live vicariously.

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

13. Love the photo comparisons. Gage has grown SO big 🙂

Glad that you feel comfortable about discussing Gage’s issue, and think it’s hard to do it all along. The community will be there to support you, and I’m sure others will find comfort in reading how you and Gage handle things that come up along the way.

Happy new year to you and yours sweetie.

Comment by Jennygirl | December 30, 2013 | Reply

• Thank you Jennifer! He has gotten quite handsome. right? 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 30, 2013 | Reply

14. Great comparison pics – Such a big boy now! And thank you for sharing. I look forward to more Gage posts and photos! I found that I am learning something new about myself everyday through parenting. Some good, some not so good… but I try.

Comment by Christa @ mental fooide | December 31, 2013 | Reply

15. Gage is a beautiful kid (and looks so much like your dad).

Get him away from that hideous sweatshirt. 🙂

Comment by The old roommate | January 1, 2014 | Reply

• Today he is allowed to surround himself with green. Big 10 needs a few wins!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 1, 2014 | Reply

16. I’m glad Weekends with Gage is coming back also! 🙂 And . . . Gage has the best parents for him. He is a treasure. {{{Stacy}}}

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | January 1, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks Joy. He is a treasure. A very big handful of treasure 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 2, 2014 | Reply

17. Oh Stacy! Your bravery and your immense love for Gage are both palatable in this post. Many many hugs to you–how lucky Gage is to have you as his mama.

Comment by Trish | January 1, 2014 | Reply

• Thanks Trish. The bravery has only come with acceptance. The first 6-12 months I fought it with every dream and expectation I had.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 2, 2014 | Reply

18. Look at big Gage has gotten! Oh my gosh. And it was just a short time ago he was born. I am amazed when I look at Mouse today in comparison to just a year ago. She’s changed so much.

Big hugs to you, Stacy, and all you’ve been through. Gage is a wonderful boy, and I am glad you are going to continue sharing with us about his progress.

Comment by Literary Feline | January 6, 2014 | Reply