Someone Else’s Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson

Someone Else's Love StoryFinished 11-24-13, rating 4/5, fiction, 352 pages, pub. 2013

I received this book from She Reads.  Go on over and see what other bloggers think about this one.

At twenty-one, Shandi Pierce is juggling finishing college, raising her delightful three-year-old genius son Natty, and keeping the peace between her eternally warring, long-divorced Catholic mother and Jewish father. She’s got enough complications without getting caught in the middle of a stick-up in a gas station mini-mart and falling in love with a great wall of a man named William Ashe, who willingly steps between the armed robber and her son.

Shandi doesn’t know that her blond god Thor has his own complications. When he looked down the barrel of that gun he believed it was destiny: It’s been one year to the day since a tragic act of physics shattered his universe. But William doesn’t define destiny the way other people do. A brilliant geneticist who believes in science and numbers, destiny to him is about choice.

Now, he and Shandi are about to meet their so-called destinies head on, in a funny, charming, and poignant novel about science and miracles, secrets and truths, faith and forgiveness,; about a virgin birth, a sacrifice, and a resurrection; about falling in love, and learning that things aren’t always what they seem—or what we hope they will be. It’s a novel about discovering what we want and ultimately finding what we need.   (from Goodreads)

This may be the first book I’ve read with a main character, “the Aut-astic Dr. Ashe”, on the spectrum and it was refreshing to see how respectfully Jackson did it.  I was impressed.  William may  have problems in the social department but he was above the grade in mental capacity and physical presence, so there wasn’t a lack of opportunity for him.  Shandi, on the other hand, was a 21-year-old single mother who had convinced herself that her genius boy was a miracle baby and her opportunities were limited.  But because of her loving parents and best friend Walcott she had a great support system and people who wanted to see her succeed. I think too often young single mothers are portrayed as having some missing parental relationship so it was nice to see that, yes, the undesirable can happen to decent parents too.

I found it hard to put this book down. Jackson has a way of drawing you in and making you want to stay in the world she’s created.  Alternating chapters helped this story move along and I loved getting so much backstory with the current one.  There was a shock near the end that I didn’t see coming and for some reason I didn’t like it.  I know I will be in the minority here and I can take it.  It just didn’t work for me.  I get it and I get why people love it, but there were some threads to the story that made this surprising turn of events seem…disappointing in a way.  It didn’t ruin the story because I still loved it, it’s more of a personal preference I guess.

This is my second Joshilyn Jackson book and I consider myself a new fan this year.   I highly recommend this one.

November 25, 2013 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I’m loving this book too. I can really hear Jackson’s voice in it.

Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy) | November 25, 2013 | Reply

2. I can’t wait to get to this book. I love Joshilyn’s books. I am listening to the prequel, My Own Miraculous. Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | November 25, 2013 | Reply

3. Wow. I still have no idea what this book is about after reading that Goodreads description! Sounds like a good book club book, but I don’t know if I’d pick it up on my own. But glad you enjoyed it other than the ending 🙂

Comment by Heather | November 25, 2013 | Reply

4. I enjoyed reading your review. I enjoyed this book. You bring up some good points.

Comment by Pat@postingForNow | November 25, 2013 | Reply

5. I liked it too, but it wasn’t my favorite. Happy Turkey Day Stacy

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | November 25, 2013 | Reply

6. I just received my copy this weekend and hope to get to it soon. I’m glad to see so many people like it. This will be my first Joshilyn Jackson book.

Comment by Leslie | November 26, 2013 | Reply

7. This sounds like a really good book. I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Comment by kelley | November 27, 2013 | Reply

8. This one will definitely appear on my favorites list this year!

Comment by booksandmovies (@booksandmovies) | November 27, 2013 | Reply

9. I love her from her last book and really want to read this one, too 🙂 She’s so great.

Comment by Marie (@bostonbibliophl) | November 28, 2013 | Reply

10. […] Someone Else’s Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson (stacybuckeye.wordpress.com) […]

Pingback by She Reads November Book Month Pick: Review & Giveaway-Someone Else’s Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson | Books in the Burbs | November 29, 2013 | Reply

11. I really need to read this author. I’m glad you still enjoyed it, even with being a bit disappointed by that one thing (you’ve made me curious about that!).

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | December 2, 2013 | Reply

12. I had trouble putting this down too! And I was very impressed by how seamlessly the background was worked into the present day story.

Comment by DoingDewey | December 2, 2013 | Reply

13. I haven’t read Joshilyn Jackson yet but I have a couple of her books on my kindle, this one included, have to get to them next year lol. I’m curious about the shock near the end.

Comment by Teddyree | December 4, 2013 | Reply