Weekends with Gage and Harry

I am a regular at our library.  I do take Gage, but find it near impossible to actually shop for books so for personal time I tend to go before I pick him up from school about once a week.  The limit for checkouts is 50.  I am always very close to that – right now I have 49 items checked out.  Books, audios, movies, play-a-aways, music cds…the majority are enjoyed by Gage.  He loves books.  We always have them on the table for before or after meal times and before bed.  I brought home these three books weeks apart (our library will let you renew indefinitely as long as no one is waiting for it) and he loves them all.

harryHarry is read often in this house.  At first I thought they might have too many words and be too long, but no worries he listens and looks the whole time.  The illustrations are so great. They are bold and big and easy to follow.

We started with Harry the Dirty Dog. In this book Harry doesn’t like to take baths and runs away from home and after he’s had all the fun he can handle he gets tired and hungry and returns home, only his family doesn’t recognize him because he is so dirty.  Gage may have initially fell in love because there is a train and any book with a train must be good.  So cute and my personal favorite.  It’s 32 pages and first published in 1956.

In No Roses for Harry he receives a sweater from grandma that he hates.  He tries to ditch it but has no luck until a little birdy helps him.  This one could be confusing at first, but after a few readings I think he started to get the concept of the sweater just being one long piece of wool.  32 pages and first published in 1958.

Harry and the Lady Next Door is the one I brought home this week and I haven’t warmed up to it yet, maybe part of it is the length, it’s 64 pages.  It took two tries to get through the whole thing.  Seriously, yesterday alone he wanted to read it at least 4 different times.  I also think Harry is not very nice in this one, always trying to drown out the lady who sings too loudly next door, but it’s a teaching moment 🙂  This was published in 1960.

I know there’s at least one more Harry book.  We’re sure to read it soon.  These are classics. but I don’t remember reading these.

Did you read the Harry books growing up?

November 10, 2013 - Posted by | Gage, Kids Books |

1. I read these and owned at least two that I remember (no roses and dirty). I used to love these books and can’t wait to buy then for J. But I will wait a wee while as this year he is getting another classic from his nana so one classic a year me thinks 🙂

Glad Gage likes them. They are cute books. If he likes this he might also like Clifford the big red dog.

Comment by Caspette | November 10, 2013 | Reply

2. I didn’t read them but they sound like wonderful books. I’m going to check my library for them. My granddaughter would love them, for sure!

Comment by Mary | November 10, 2013 | Reply

3. wow, what a flashback. my kids were born mid to late 70s and yes my son liked Harry. I hadn’t thought of him in years. glad Gage enjoys these and that mom gets some free time alone at the library on occasion.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | November 10, 2013 | Reply

4. Oh my goodness … the photo of Gage with the Harry books is adorable!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | November 10, 2013 | Reply

5. Yes, totally adorable! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | November 10, 2013 | Reply

6. I don’t remember these books (although somehow I don’t remember any picture books except from reading them to my younger siblings). Maybe I’ll look for them soon at our library, though, thanks!

Comment by Word Lily | November 10, 2013 | Reply

7. I didn’t read them but my kids came home with them from the school library. I miss those days!

Comment by sandynawrot | November 10, 2013 | Reply

8. What a great photo! I loved Harry when I was a kid, and read the books to my girls, too 🙂

Comment by lakesidemusing | November 10, 2013 | Reply

9. I love the look on Gage’s face! I’m not familiar with those books so I’m pretty sure I never read them.

Comment by BermudaOnion | November 10, 2013 | Reply

10. It thrills me that Gage loves Harry! I love Harry too. I have my original books that I read to my kids and can’t wait to read to future grandkids.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | November 10, 2013 | Reply

11. I’m glad to see he loves the Harry books. My daughter did too. 🙂

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | November 11, 2013 | Reply

12. It’s wonderful that Gage loves books. He looks adorable surrounded by the “Harry” books. The name didn’t mean much to me but as soon as I saw the cover, my childhood time spent reading Harry came rushing back to me! I loved these books and I’m so happy Gage does too!
    Aren’t libraries wonderful? It’s great you can make so much use of yours.

Comment by Amy | November 11, 2013 | Reply

13. The picture is adorable! I don”t remember reading these books as a kid, but it is so much fun to read them to Gage now. He knows the stories as well as I do! He is so lucky to have such a book-loving Momma who keeps him well stocked with wonderful stories.

Comment by Gage's Grandma | November 12, 2013 | Reply

14. haha such a cute photo. I love Harry too, I’ve still got my childhood copy of Harry the Dirty Dog 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | November 14, 2013 | Reply

15. I think this pic of Gage is ADORABLE! I read about Harry, but I don’t know how old I was.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | November 16, 2013 | Reply

16. I love that Gage loves books! Mouse does too, although her interest has somewhat waned over the past couple months. Not sure why. 😦 We visit the library about once a week, although we have yet to check anything out. My husband argues that she has enough books at home. I argue that it’s a good learning experience for her–borrowing and returning, taking care of someone else’s book, music, etc. Not to mention how awesome it is that there are places like the library out there. Now that I’ve finally gotten my library card updated and renewed, Mouse and I will be checking out books. (I haven’t used the library for myself in years given all the books I already own I need to read–I’ve always felt guilty checking out books and ignoring my own. Not that it has stopped me from buying more books . . . )

Comment by Literary Feline | November 18, 2013 | Reply

17. So adorable! Gage is so lucky to have you as his momma!

Comment by Heather | November 27, 2013 | Reply

18. Love this post, Stacy! We have he 1st book in the series and Aarya really like that one 🙂 I hope to get the others as well 🙂 Gage is just adorable!

Comment by Veens | December 7, 2013 | Reply