The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, loved it!

The Husband's SecretThe Husband’s Secret. Finished 9-16-13, rating 4.75/5, fiction, 395 pages, pub. 2011

I want to thank Kimberly Brock from She Reads for inviting me to be a part of this talented group of book bloggers.  This is the September choice and I loved it so much. If you are interested in winning a copy you can visit the She Reads review and leave a comment.

At the heart of The Husband’s Secret is a letter that’s not meant to be read
My darling Cecilia, if you’re reading this, then I’ve died. . .

Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . . Cecilia Fitzpatrick has achieved it all—she’s an incredibly successful businesswoman, a pillar of her small community, and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia—or each other—but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband’s secret.

from the publisher

Perfect mom and wife, Cecilia, finds the letter in the beginning of the book but we don’t actually find out what’s in it until almost halfway through and that’s when this page-turner became difficult to put down. The beginning is us getting to know the three main women and their stories. As the uber-mom, I had a difficult time connecting with Cecilia (at least until the end when her emotions were the most heartfelt to me) because I don’t get that perfection. I find motherhood all kinds of messy! And she ASKED her husband if she could open it!  Either open it or not, but don’t ask. For the record, I may have held on to it for a few days but I believe that I ultimately would have opened the letter, but I can be a nosy so that’s to be expected.  The most interesting question isn’t whether you’d open it, but what you’d do after you read it.  It’s a toughie and one that begs to be discussed with others!

Tess and Rachel were the other alternating storylines that intersect more and more as the story picks up steam.  Tess just found out that her husband and best friend from birth were in love with each other. As she hightailed it back to Sydney with her son, Rachel, the school secretary whose own daughter was murdered as a teen, was there to enroll him in school.  I liked Tess’s story best probably because I understood her social awkwardness, as many of us can.

This story addressed so many aspects of a woman’s life: marriage, secrets, infidelity, friendship and motherhood.  Tess and Cecilia had different marriage problems, but both came down to secrets and how much we really keep from and know our spouse.  By the end it was Cecilia’s marriage that was the most fascinating and that’s all I can say about that without giving anything away. The epilogue was like nothing I’ve read before and it elevated the already great story.

I am lucky.  This is my first Moriarty book so I still have more to read from this talented author.  Do yourself a favor and pick this one up.

This book was sent to me by the publisher.

September 19, 2013 - Posted by | 5 Star Books |

1. This book is getting great buzz. A lot of my book clubber friends are raving about it.

Comment by Care | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• Definitely lots to discuss. Perfect for a book club.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

2. Fantastic Review! I also loved this book. Welcome to She Reads Book Club!

Comment by Lisa | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• Thanks Lisa, I’m in great company 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

3. I also would be nosy. And sneaky. LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• Yes, I tried not to come off as too sneaky, but I would be 😉

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

4. I have this book on my list, which now has so many titles that I feel overwhelmed!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• Mine too. That’s the downside and upside of blogging. I am never without a book I want to read, but I will never be able to get to all of them!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

5. Everybody seems to love this one!! Must read.

Comment by lakesidemusing | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• Yes! And then discuss with friends 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

6. I loved What Alice Forgot so I’m really looking forward to this book. I’m glad to see you enjoyed it so much.

Comment by bermudaonion (Kathy) | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• That one is still on my to read list!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

7. It was like nothing I’d ever read before either … and I loved it!

Comment by Amused By Books (@amusedbybooks) | September 19, 2013 | Reply

8. Do yourself the biggest favor EVER and read What Alice Forgot. As much as I loved this one, that one is even better I dare to say. She certainly seems to “get” the heart of a woman more than almost any other author I know.

Comment by sandynawrot | September 19, 2013 | Reply

• I’m pretty sure I have that one on my shelves around here. Must. Find. Time.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

9. This looks fabulous!

Comment by Heather | September 19, 2013 | Reply

10. Great review Stacy, so glad you loved it. I’ve got What Alice Forgot on my must read stack and I’m adding this one to my wishlist. Talent sure runs in the Moriarty family, Nicola Moriarty’s Paper Chains was a five star favourite of mine this year 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | September 20, 2013 | Reply

• I didn’t make the Moriarty connection. Love that.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

11. I enjoyed reading your review. I enjoyed this book too. I’ve added What Alice Forgot to my “To Read” list.

Comment by Pat @ Posting For Now | September 20, 2013 | Reply

12. Great to hear you loved this. I just want to know the secret…LOL – affair, gay, LOL

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | September 20, 2013 | Reply

• If you are curious it is worth the read!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

13. I liked it and liked What Alice Forgot even more! Glad it was a winner for you, Stacy.

Comment by Mary | September 20, 2013 | Reply

• I need to get to Alice. I’ve only heard great things.

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

14. I enjoyed this one too. And I definitely would have opened the letter!

Comment by Leslie | September 21, 2013 | Reply

• I think I’d be worried about the women who wouldn’t!

Comment by stacybuckeye | September 22, 2013 | Reply

15. This sounds like a great read! I haven’t read a story like this on a long time so I’m adding it to my (long) list. So glad you enjoyed it!

Comment by Wrighty | September 24, 2013 | Reply

16. I’ve heard so many good things about this book. I’m in a long line waiting for the book from the library, but I’m so curious about the secret. Sounds like a thought-provoking read for sure.

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | September 26, 2013 | Reply

17. It does beg to be discussed with others, as did so much of this book! I loved how thought-provoking and not clear cut the characters’ decisions were. Definitely a good book club book 🙂

Comment by DoingDewey | September 29, 2013 | Reply

18. […] The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, loved it! (stacybuckeye.wordpress.com) […]

Pingback by Tess had a complex life… | The Tuareg Ladies | September 30, 2013 | Reply

19. I really enjoyed this one too and, like you, I haven’t read the author’s previous books so I have those to look forward to!

Comment by booksnyc | October 2, 2013 | Reply

20. […] The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty, loved it! (stacybuckeye.wordpress.com) […]

Pingback by The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty [Rated*****] | Dreams of a Library | October 9, 2013 | Reply

21. […] The Husband’s Secret had an excellent cast of characters with strong storylines that all came together in a powerful conclusion. […]

Pingback by 2013 Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2013 | Reply

22. I’m listening to this right now. I didn’t realize it was going to be three stories woven into one and for that I was a bit caught off guard. I’m hoping something happens soon because I’m starting to think it is building up too much. I so hate being let down!

Comment by Care | February 1, 2015 | Reply