The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley, spreading the love

The Winter SeaThe Winter Sea. Finished 7-24-13, rating 5/5, historical fiction, 544 pages, pub.2010

History has all but forgotten the spring of 1708, when an invasion fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.

Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write.

But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory…making her the only living person who can know the truth of what did happen all those years ago – a tale of love and loyalty…and ultimate betrayal.

from Susanna Kearsley website

Satisfied. I finished this book tonight and I am completely satisfied.  I was drawn into the story right away.  Scotland, both now and in 1908, is an appealing setting and the idea of a successful woman being able to pick up and move anywhere in the world to world is exciting.  I admit to being a little confused in the earlier chapters by all of the people and politics of 1708, but I got a handle on most of them and dismissed the others until they became useful in the story 😉

I was rooting for Carrie and Sophia to find love and happiness. I was sure of Carrie’s fate and hopeful for Sophia, but I did get nervous.  I also kind of love that Sophia’s happy ending did not include everything she wanted.  I shed tears and that’s not something I do often when reading a novel.

My love of genealogy was celebrated and Carrie’s discovery of ancestral memory was a fun one to consider.  We all know we share DNA with our ancestors, why not the memories of them too?  It’s safe to say that we won’t come close to this romantic notion in our own experience, but it is fun to dream.

A book full of love, political intrigue, strong women, strong men, mystery, and both storylines were good.   I wish there’d been more of Carrie’s story but that’s because I’m greedy.  I didn’t want it to end!

I will definitely be reading Kearsley again.  I bought this for my Nook.

This isn’t Slains Castle or even Scotland, but it is a French castleFrance 054that’s close enough, right?  .(courtesy of Bookbath)

July 24, 2013 - Posted by | 5 Star Books |

1. that is so weird, I am on page 150 right now. I am totally loving this book and oddly, loving both the current and the past storylines equally. Glad it finishes as wonderfully as it starts!! 🙂

Comment by ocdreader | July 24, 2013 | Reply

2. I’m so glad it’s so good! Looking forward to reading it soon 🙂 Love that pic of you two 😉

Comment by hmsgofita | July 25, 2013 | Reply

3. I fell in love with Kearsley’s writing after reading The Shadowy Horses, this one’s next on my list. Glad you’re in the majority of those who loved it 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | July 25, 2013 | Reply

4. Actually we share 96% of our DNA with chimpanzees, which may be why I love reading books by Jane Goodall so much! :–)

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | July 25, 2013 | Reply

5. I will have to think about this book because I struggle with historical fiction even though I’ve heard Kearsley’s writing is wonderful.

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 25, 2013 | Reply

6. I’m sure you will enjoy the second book in the series, The Firebird. Thanks for your review.

Comment by postingfornow | July 25, 2013 | Reply

7. Yay for books that leave you replete!

Comment by Word Lily | July 25, 2013 | Reply

8. I look forward to this novel.

Comment by Anne | July 25, 2013 | Reply

9. I loved this novel too. She has become a favorite author of mine. I know you will enjoy her other books.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | July 25, 2013 | Reply

10. Sounds so good! I’m adding this to my wish list.

Comment by lakesidemusing | July 26, 2013 | Reply

11. This was my favorite Kearsley book too. I wanted more of the story for Sophia and felt a little loss at the end of the book. Now . . . you have to read “The Shadowy Horses” and then “The Firebird”. The three books are tied together. I loved the twist.

Comment by kelley | July 27, 2013 | Reply

12. I discover Susanna Kearsley last year with the book “The Shadowy Horses”. There is something magical about her writing and I will read more. This sounds like a good book to try 🙂

I love the photos and glad you liked the book!

Comment by Caspette | July 28, 2013 | Reply

13. I’ve never heard of this before, but I like it. Having someone else’s memories would be really creepy, though.

Comment by Tanja | July 28, 2013 | Reply

14. YES!!!! I have loved every single book written by her and couldn’t be happier that you had such a wonderful experience with this one, which is one of my faves!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | July 28, 2013 | Reply

15. I discovered this author last year when I read “the Shadowy Horses” and I loved it. I have been meaning to pick up another book and read it so will bump it up the TBR pile when I am back in the reading saddle I think 🙂

Comment by caspette | August 2, 2013 | Reply

16. I wish there were more time in a day. This is another author that I want to try, but just haven’t taken the time. So glad to see you have a raving review!

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | August 16, 2013 | Reply

17. […] The Winter Sea was a romantic delight from beginning to end. I can’t wait to read more! […]

Pingback by 2013 Favorites and Stats « Stacy's Books | December 31, 2013 | Reply