Paris in July – Paris Versus New York

(courtesy of Birdbath)

Paris Versus New York: A Tally of Two CitiesParis Versus New York by Vahram Muratyan. Finished 7-1-13, rating 5/5, travel, pub. 2012

Love, love, love!  I have loved New York since the first weekend trip Jason and I took there to visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1997.  After many trips and a 5 month stay in 2000 I felt like I was a decent tour guide to out of town guests.  I loved the city, but Jason and I both agreed that it would only be doable long term if you could afford to get out of the city on weekends.  We only spent five days in Paris so any real comparison between the two would be superficial, but it is safe to say that both cities are favorites of ours.  I probably prefer New York and Jason, Paris.

This book comes from a blog by graphic artist Muratyan and features a contrast between the two cities with pictures and one line captions.  I thought this was a fun 15 minutes and  I’ve found myself flipping through again and again in the past few days.  I think there are some stereotypes in his 100+ comparisons, but some stereotypes fit the bill.  I think this is a fun gift for someone who loves both cities.  It’s also a great book to look through at the library or bookstore since it doesn’t take long.  I checked this copy out of the library and I’m a little sad to have to return it.  Totally fun, but not a serious expose of either city.

parisvsny1parisvsny2parisvsny3

France 271I found the Pompidou Museum interesting, but some of the exhibits disturbing.   We spent quite a bit of time here with our friends and it was a mix of very cool and very gross.

July 3, 2013 - Posted by | 5 Star Books | ,

1. I can’t pick between Paris and New York – I love both of them! We have a great picture of Vance outside of the Pompidou giving his opinion of the museum. I’ll have to look for that book!

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 3, 2013 | Reply

• I think you’d really like it, Kathy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 9, 2013 | Reply

2. I would love to visit both places one day so I too can say which I prefer! What a fun little book 🙂

Comment by hmsgofita | July 3, 2013 | Reply

3. The book looks like fun! I have never been to New York City (although I’ve been to upstate New York) or Paris. Both are foreign worlds to me. LOL I’ve always wanted to visit New York City though–someday.

Comment by Literary Feline | July 3, 2013 | Reply

• One day you can take Mouse to Broadway 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 9, 2013 | Reply

4. Ok, now I need to know what made the exhibits gross and disturbing! You can’t end on that note and not elaborate!! 😛 I’ve been to both cities but would need to go again to decide. They’re really so different, though. Plus Paris has that European charm…

Comment by Trish | July 3, 2013 | Reply

• I agree about the European charm – I’m a sucker for it 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 9, 2013 | Reply

5. I love New York too!

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | July 3, 2013 | Reply

6. I can’t compare since I have not been to Paris in 40 years and being young at the time I came home with the impression that the food was awful, the people unfriendly and the city dirty – I am sure I would view it differently now. As for NYC – it’s a great place to visit, so much to do, but I would never want to live there.

I’m curious about what was disturbing about the exhibits you saw?

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | July 3, 2013 | Reply

• I admit that I was not all that crazy about the food. Some of it was off limits to me because I was pregnant but I still didn’t get it. Maybe if I’d been able to drink the wine 😉

As for the exhibits, I should have stuck with disturbing instead of gross. Even these three years later I do remember several exhibits that I found gross (mainly having to do with nudity and animals). I think because we started with stark self portraits and ended with stark nudity (and animals!) it just made the few hours spent there feel heavy. But then I’m kind of a prude!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 9, 2013 | Reply

7. Both are on my bucket list but Paris will be first … a UK trip Oct 2014 with a side trip to Paris, sadly only an overnighter 😦
    The Pompidou Museum sounds very cool.

I’m excited to be doing Paris in July for the first time too 🙂

Comment by Teddyree | July 4, 2013 | Reply

• One night in Paris is not enough, but it’s better than not seeing Paris at all! I want to visit the UK!

Comment by stacybuckeye | July 9, 2013 | Reply

8. That book looks pretty cool!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | July 14, 2013 | Reply

9. Very interesting and special.

Comment by Anne | July 15, 2013 | Reply