Cleveland Christmas Memories by Gail Ghetia Bellamy

Cleveland Christmas Memories: Looking Back at Holidays PastFinished 12-4-12, rating 4/5, 120 pages, pub. 2012

To be born in the ’50’s and raised in the ’60’s in a middle-class family meant that nothing much happened.

It is difficult to describe the simplicity  of those years to the current generation.  It is the scarcity of material possessions, the absence of media and ubiquitous electronic communication devices that make my generation’s Christmas memories so unique.

My memories, I am sure, are almost exactly like those of all the children of my era-those of us fortunate enough to have parents who took the time to carry out all the relatively new traditions of an American Christmas.

(from the entry by Diane Vogel Ferri in Christmas, Cleveland-Style)

Native Clevelander, Gail Ghetia Bellamy, collected hundreds of stories from those who lived in Cleveland from the 1940’s on and put them together in this great book.  It’s a glossy oversized paperback that feels like a scrapbook of Cleveland in the 1950’s and 60’s.  Along with the hundreds of stories from the people who lived and worked here there are over 200 photos that add to the eye-catching layouts.  If you know of a Clevelander from that era or even a little later this is an easy gift choice.  It will sit out and be looked at all year round.

As a somewhat new Clevelander, we moved here in 2000, I thought it was a fun look back at the days when downtown was THE place to be at Christmas, with its huge department stores and window displays.  Our new casino is housed in the old Higbee department store so it was fun to see the pictures of a different time.  My favorite section was the one about food.  It really highlighted the diverse Cleveland population.  (Something I think Les Robert’s mystery series does very well too :))

A great addition to any Cleveland library (home or public), a perfect gift for anyone who grew up here or who has an interest in Cleveland history.

I want to thank Jane from Gray & Company for sending me a copy.

December 5, 2012 - Posted by | 4 Star Books

1. Oh my gosh! I have so many memories of Cleveland during my childhood! I still remember holding my grandma’s hand as we stood in front of the Higbee’s display window. I was gobsmacked by the winter wonderland they created. I will definitely have to get this book!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | December 5, 2012 | Reply

• I think you will love it, Beth! I’d send you my copy but it’s been read by Gage 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | December 5, 2012 | Reply

2. I think it would be cool to be able to look at my local area like that. And isn’t it a shame that the downtown areas aren’t the “it” place to be nowadays?

Comment by Jenners | December 5, 2012 | Reply

3. What a cool book!! I’m always interested in what the cities looked when downtown was the happening spot! Makes me sad to see the town square areas dying out only to be replaced with soulless strip malls and such!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | December 5, 2012 | Reply

4. There’s a casino in Cleveland? I bet this was a real pleasure to look through.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | December 5, 2012 | Reply

5. One a great book for people who live in (or grew up in) the Cleveland area!

Comment by Mary | December 5, 2012 | Reply

6. Sounds like a great book. I was raised in the 60s, but not in Cleveland. How are you feeling?

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | December 5, 2012 | Reply

7. What a neat book, especially for current, or former, Clevelanders.

Comment by Carol | December 6, 2012 | Reply

8. I really like a book set in a place I lived or am from. Sounds like an awesome book.

PS – Love Gage’s pic on the right corner.

Comment by Veens | December 7, 2012 | Reply

9. Even though I’m not familiar with Cleveland, I enjoy looking at the photos from the 50s and 60s. I remember downtown Chicago being the highlight of Christmas season. The entire family, (aunts, uncles, cousins) would go downtown to Marshall Fields to see Santa, eat at the Walnut Room and look at the beautiful display windows. Now I’m wondering if there is a Chicago version.

Comment by Leslie | December 8, 2012 | Reply