Sundays with Gage – the countdown to Christmas

Gage is a little young to appreciate counting down the days til Christmas, but I’ve seen so many cute children’s books for advent posts that I thought I’d give it a shot. I chose 22 books and 2 dvds (mostly from the library) and wrapped them up, put a number on them and them put the numbers on a box I still had wrapped from last Christmas.  I’m hoping that this will help him with numbers too since he doesn’t seem to care about learning them!

Each day we’ll open the box and find the corresponding book.  I plan to have a corresponding activity for each of the books.  I found this easy one on Pinterest (bubbly bowl of snowballs).  He liked the sensory aspect of the book, but was less interested in the bubbles.  I am going to post all the books and activities, so watch out for toddler overload the next few weeks 🙂

007009

012015

December 2, 2012 - Posted by | Gage

1. What a creative mom you are! Can’t wait to see more of the advent countdown!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | December 2, 2012 | Reply

2. Oh what fun!

Comment by Mary | December 2, 2012 | Reply

3. Ha … What a cutie!

Comment by Beth Hoffman | December 2, 2012 | Reply

4. Bring it on…can’t wait because this sounds like a blast!!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | December 2, 2012 | Reply

5. This will be a fun Christmas even if Gage doesn’t understand the countdown to it.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | December 2, 2012 | Reply

6. Sounds like a great idea; Kids are so anxious to learn about everything at this age. Enjoy your week.

Comment by diane | December 2, 2012 | Reply

7. I had a house thingy, where you opened a little door every day of Advent, with little treats inside. But I tell you, it got out of control and was more stressful than shopping for Xmas! I have not brought the thing out this year, and so far my kids haven’t mentioned it. This sounds much healthier and more creative!

Comment by Sandy | December 2, 2012 | Reply

8. What a great mom you are, Stacy!!

Comment by lakesidemusing | December 3, 2012 | Reply

9. A great tradition to start even if it is a bit out of his understanding as of yet. Kids surprise us and learn/absorb more than we know.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | December 3, 2012 | Reply

10. Oh, what fun! I’m loving seeing everyone’s ideas for Advent and little ones! I think Asa’s a bit young to get much out of any of them, this year, but I’m saving up ideas!

Comment by Word Lily | December 3, 2012 | Reply

11. You are so great about these activities! I’m terribly at looking for activities to do with Elle. Mostly it’s “Ok, now let’s run to Target.” So I’m glad you’ll be posting these finds! My cousin also does the thing where she wraps up the books to open one a day and so I’ve been slowly collecting Christmas books to do the same. I figure by the time I have my Christmas quilt finished Elle will be able to read the books herself. 😉

Comment by Trish | December 3, 2012 | Reply

12. How fun! What a great idea, Stacy! You are so creative. Gage is so lucky to have you as his mom. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | December 3, 2012 | Reply

13. You’re such a good mom!! And be warned … once you do a Christmas countdown like this, they start expecting it each year. My mom started something like this for my son and now it is a tradition.

Comment by Jenners | December 3, 2012 | Reply

14. What a creative idea! Looking at the pictures, I can tell that Gage is enjoying himself. Have a good week.

Comment by Vasilly | December 4, 2012 | Reply

15. I really wanted to do the book one this year but we are smack in the middle of a move so had to let all things Christmas slide. I Love the snow thing idea might try that when we are settled in our new place and I love easy ideas 🙂

Comment by caspette | December 8, 2012 | Reply