A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

A is for Alibi, finished 10-27-12, rating 4/5, mystery, 214 pages, pub. 1982

After I finished the 1000+ IT, I knew I wanted to read something short and satisfying.  I’ve had this book on my shelf for a while but knowing that I was SO BEHIND in the series it was never much of a temptation.  Until I came across the book featured in Books to Die For.  This is a little of what Meg Gardiner says about it, “In Kinsey I discovered a young woman doing a job that had previously been restricted to male private investigators, and doing so in a thoroughly grown-up way, inhabiting her life and her story with confidence and uncertainty and charming, flawed honesty.”  With that recommendation I finally started the alphabet series.

For those who have yet to meet Kinsey she is a hard-edged private eye with an aversion to attachments.  Divorced twice and a one time cop it’s her policy never to sleep with anyone involved in a case, unless they prove irresistible, as in this case.  She’s hired to find the real killer of Laurence Fife, hired by the ex-wife who served eight years for his murder.  The cold case becomes hot again as Kinsey tracks down all the usual suspects.

I really liked this quick mystery.  There were many suspects for such a short novel, but it never seemed too much.  I was kept mostly guessing until close to the end.  It wasn’t perfect for sure, sometimes Kinsey being too oblivious to gloss over and a few extraneous storylines that went nowhere, but I thought it was a solid mystery for a series debut.

I know some of the appeal of Kinsey is that she was one of the first women in the central character detective role, but I think she proved herself worthy of more than just a cursory pat on the back.  Kinsey didn’t give much of herself away in this book and I’m looking forward to getting to know her better as I continue through the alpahbet.

October 31, 2012 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I love this series and am so glad you decided to give it a try!

Comment by Literary Feline | October 31, 2012 | Reply

2. I have loved this series and am up to date with all the books. Kinsey is a great character and it is wonderful to follow the same basic cast of characters from book to book. Glad to hear that you are onboard!

Comment by Linda Prahst Yanega | October 31, 2012 | Reply

• Nothing like a late hop on the bandwagon 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 31, 2012 | Reply

3. I love this series too. And you don’t have to start at ‘A’, I started somewhere around ‘G’. Someday I intend to read the earlier ones though.

Comment by Leslie | October 31, 2012 | Reply

• I have a compulsion to start at the beginning of a series. I don’t fight it anymore 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 31, 2012 | Reply

4. My mom is a big fan of this series and tells me I am missing out big time by not getting onboard with it.

Comment by Nise' (Under the Boardwalk) | October 31, 2012 | Reply

5. If you’re just starting this series, you’re in for a treat! It gets better and better.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | October 31, 2012 | Reply

6. I’ve kept up with this series all the way until the latest one (I think it is V???) and will continue until she is done. I love Kinsey!

Comment by Jenners | November 1, 2012 | Reply

7. I read the first few of these a while back and liked them –then stopped for some reason.

Thanks for sending your sympathies with my tale of woe with trying to sell my parent’s “haunted house” LOL I’m sure the neighbors will love the fact it will be the only boarded up house in the neighborhood, until we can resolve the title issues.

Have a great weekend.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | November 2, 2012 | Reply

8. I have a friend who has collected everyone of these books. They are all red leather with the stamped letter covered in gold leaf. It makes a stunning display in her bookshelf.

Comment by kelley | November 2, 2012 | Reply

9. My mother started at K, went up to T, then backtracked to A and started all over.

Comment by Rosemary Wolfe, NoChargeBookbunch | November 3, 2012 | Reply

10. I’m on E and have thought the series for the most part has been good, but nothing great. I didn’t care for D, but will still continue on as road trip audioreads. Glad you like your first introduction. I think I liked A best.

Comment by Thoughts of Joy | November 3, 2012 | Reply

11. Kinsey was a character that I quickly loved and back when I read it (first published) it was so refreshing to have a woman as a PI!! I can’t remember what letter I stopped on but would like to get back to this series at some point!

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | November 4, 2012 | Reply

12. I read A through D a few years ago and then stopped. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy them, I just thought that there were better series out there. I keep saying I’ll pick E up and give it another go. So glad you enjoyed “A” 🙂

Comment by Tara | November 6, 2012 | Reply

13. I read one of them a long time ago. I dont remember enjoying it or I suppose I would have continued. Maybe I could give it another try. Glad you enjoyed A. it is nice when you find a quick light read that you can just relax and enjoy.

Comment by caspette | November 15, 2012 | Reply

14. […] thoughts: Stacy’s Books, Mervi’s Book Reviews, Mysteries in Paradise, My Two Blessings, The Book Frog, Follow the […]

Pingback by A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton | | February 5, 2014 | Reply

15. […]  Second in the Kinsey Millhone series. (Book 1) […]

Pingback by B is For Burglar by Sue Grafton « Stacy's Books | August 21, 2014 | Reply

16. […] A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton was chosen by Meg Gardiner. “Deftly plotted, vivid, and convincing, the story has twists, multiplemurders, and some we-intended B&E by the heroine. It has sex. It has regret, and gunplay.  It has a cast of motley neighborhood characters that, over the course of the series, become beloved.  And in the center of the action it has Kinsey…  My thoughts here. […]

Pingback by Books to Die For edited by John Connolly and Declan Burke « Stacy's Books | February 17, 2015 | Reply