Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe

Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An AutobiographyStories I Only Tell My Friends. Finished audio 9-28-12, rating 4.5/5, autobiography, pub. 2011

Unabridged audio read by Robe Lowe.

It’s no secret that I am a child of the 80’s and lover of the teen movies of the day.  Rob Lowe was never one of my favorites, he was just too pretty, but he starred in some great 80’s films.  I picked up the book at a library sale but then remembered that a few bloggers (maybe Mary is one?) recommended the audio so I tried that instead and the audio is definitely the way to go with this one.  Lowe’ charm and intelligence come through loud and clear and I looked forward to getting in the car and visiting with him every day because that’s what it felt like.  He was very conversational and it was just a fun and easy listen.

Lowe knew he wanted to be an actor at an early age in Dayton, Ohio, and was involved in an acting group called Peanut Butter and Jelly.  He even had a few star encounters, a favorite of mine is when he knocked on Liza Minnelli’s hotel door and was allowed in to chat!  His parents divorced, his mother remarried and her behavior became erratic.  When she moved the family of three boys to Los Angeles it was culture shock for Rob, but the perfect place to really pursue his goal of becoming an actor.

Lowe is a master name dropper.  It is amazing to me how many famous people he came in contact with at a young age.  I LOVE Cary Grant and Rob got to watch his first after school special on Cary Grant’s bed with Grant and his daughter.  So cool (and not creepy at all).  The Sheens, Janet Jackson, Ron Howard and many others all come into Rob’s orbit before his first big break, The Outsiders (1983).   The Outsiders takes up a nice percentage of the book, but we get to meet these new upstarts as Rob does, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Matt Dillon…

I highly recommend this for any fan of the 80’s, Hollywood memoirs, or the man himself.  You’ll feel like Hollywood insider.  I think it could have been more complete, he does choose to gloss over chunks of his life, but what is included is very entertaining and insightful.  A man who has been on both the inside and the outside of the Hollywood scene and has managed to survive with sanity intact.

After finishing the book I immediately put The Outsiders on hold at the library.  I feel like I know so much about behind the scenes that the movie will be extra fun to watch.  I think my favorite role is Sam Seaborn from the West Wing.  What’s yours?

October 1, 2012 - Posted by | 4 1/2 Star Books | , ,

1. I became a fan of Lowe’s after seeing him in Class. After his little episode with the sex tapes, I kind of wrote him off, but he got himself back on track and I came to admire him for that. I really do need to get this book. It sounds perfect for me.

Comment by bermudaonion(Kathy) | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• Oh, you should! You will love the audio. He does gloss over the sex tape even though he mentions the events around it. I know I saw Class but remember little so I’ll have to take another look.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

2. I am a big fan of the 80s too so I am definitely going to have to listen to this one! He was one of my favorite characters in Brothers and Sisters…oh I miss that show!

Comment by Jo-Jo | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• That was a show I never watched because I knew I could get addicted 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

3. I totally agree about pretty boys! LOL

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• I feel bad, it’s not his fault he’s too gorgeous 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

4. I’ve had this book since it was released and I’ve just realised that I’ve still not read it! Thanks for the reminder! 🙂

Comment by Nikki-ann | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• I hope the paper version is fun too.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

5. I fell in love with Rob Lowe when he was on West Wing, so I couldn’t wait for the book. Thought it was a little disappointing – lots of time spent name dropping without a lot of content – but still fun to hear his stories.

Comment by Tami | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• It was a light, fun read, but the audio was great. Loved him on West Wing.

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

6. I’m guessing he glossed over the sex scandal? : )

Comment by Jenners | October 1, 2012 | Reply

• He sort of talked around it. Mentioned it but never in a direct way. His perogative I guess 🙂

Comment by stacybuckeye | October 1, 2012 | Reply

7. I need to read and see The Outsiders again… My neighbor keeps telling me she will loan me this book but she can’t find it. I’ll probably get to the audio before then!

Comment by Care | October 2, 2012 | Reply

8. I’ve heard this is good. I’ll make sure to get it on audio!

Comment by hmsgofita | October 4, 2012 | Reply

9. […] I listened to Rob Lowe’s memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, last month I was particularly entertained by his memories of making his first big movie, a movie […]

Pingback by Film Friday- a look at The Outsiders (1983) « Stacy's Books | October 19, 2012 | Reply

10. […] Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe.  I can only vouch for the audio read by Lowe himself.  I was charmed by it. […]

Pingback by Sundays with Gage & My favorite books and movies of 2012 « Stacy's Books | December 30, 2012 | Reply

11. […] Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe […]

Pingback by My 5 year Blogiversary with a chance to win a favorite book! « Stacy's Books | January 7, 2013 | Reply

12. […] loved Rob Lowe’s first memoir about his start in the movie industry (Stories I Only Tell My Friends).  It even ended up on my favorite list at the end of the year.  Here’s what I said about […]

Pingback by Love Life by Rob Lowe « Stacy's Books | July 30, 2014 | Reply