Sundays with Gage – A Quest for Good Manners

Gage will be 21 months old this week, can you believe it?!  Every day I see his mind working in new ways and it is exciting and fun to watch and encourage.  (The encouraging part is also exhausting, but that’s another post)  I see some toddlers his age doing the most amazing things, like listening to their mamas, drinking from a big boy cup, NOT throwing their sippy cups to the floor, not throwing most things on the floor from their lofty perch in the high chair…Anyway, Gage has a lot to learn about manners.  In the past week or so he’s started saying please (or peas in Gage-speak) with some encouragement and I’m very excited about that!  So, it was a no brainer when I was offered to review the book The Quest for Good Manners by Karin Lefranc and illustrated by Hannah Neale.  I read it to Gage while he was eating breakfast this morning and he was surprising engaged.  I thought there might be too many words, but he was captivated by the illustrations and listened to the whole book.  We took it on our morning walk and I took some pictures of his reactions to the story and pictures…

A Quest for Good Manners follows Princess Rosalind and her pet dragon, Sparkler, on their journey to find good manners.  From the wizard Percival she learns how to handle a fork, from the fairy with purple wings how to say please, thank you, you’re welcome and I’m sorry,  and from Lady Grace how to behave at the dinner able and showing kindness and consideration.

It was the perfect amount of teaching with the perfect amount of story and with a beautiful full-page illustration on every page, this is an easy one to recommend.  Gage and I both loved it. I liked the lesson and I think Gage really liked the pictures.  A fire breathing dragon that burps is going to be a hit with any little boy I think.

I suggest going to the website where you’ll find fun, printable activities for the kids that follow the story.  Placements, coloring pages, connect the dots, and a quiz (you all know how much I love quizzes.  Poor Gage).

A Quest for Good MannersA Quest for Good Manners by Karin Lefranc and illustrated by Hannah NealeFacebook pageWebsite.

I’m giving this 5 stars!!!  Thanks so much to Karin for sending me a copy of her book.  It’s a hit in our house.

July 15, 2012 - Posted by | 5 Star Books, Gage, Kids Books

1. He just gets cuter all the time! Love the expression on the next to the last one!!!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | July 15, 2012 | Reply

2. I love his reactions to the book! He is a doll!

Comment by BermudaOnion | July 15, 2012 | Reply

3. He looks so happy reading the book!

Comment by gautami tripathy | July 15, 2012 | Reply

4. I love his expressions! He really enjoys his books. He is adorable when he says ‘peas’ too!

Comment by Gage's Grandma | July 15, 2012 | Reply

5. I think his facial expressions are the best review ever!!! Love it!! He’s going to be a book lover!! And those other kids that seems so good? I’m sure they don’t act like that ALWAYS!! You must always remember that!!

Comment by Jenners | July 15, 2012 | Reply

6. I love these pictures. He’s really into that book!

Comment by Anna (Diary of an Eccentric) | July 15, 2012 | Reply

7. Great pics!! The book sounds darling.

Comment by Mary | July 16, 2012 | Reply

8. Oh how cute!!!! I can’t believe how fast he is growing either Stacy. Great book, and the pictures in the book look very well done too. Everyone love dragons 🙂

Comment by jennygirl | July 16, 2012 | Reply

9. I think I’m in love – a boy with a book is the sweetest sight!

Comment by thebumbles | July 16, 2012 | Reply

10. Sounds like a great books and I love the photos. Good luck with the manners, my niece, who is about Gage’s age, still throws things during dinner too.

Comment by Carol | July 16, 2012 | Reply

11. I will have to look for this book. It sounds perfect for Maggie too. 🙂

Comment by Literary Feline | July 16, 2012 | Reply

12. I love his expression on the bottom left shot — so precious.

Comment by Diane@BibliophilebytheSea | July 17, 2012 | Reply

13. Well, he just looks fascinated by the book so I think we have a gentleman in the making 🙂

Comment by Stephanie D. | July 18, 2012 | Reply

14. Yes, Poor Gage with the mommy who loves quizzes!! I will have to come down and rescue him when he’s older!! 😀

Comment by Staci@LifeintheThumb | July 20, 2012 | Reply

15. Wow I like the sound of this book. I must confess J is not always fantastic with please and thank you it has been in the last couple of months he became better and consistant at it. Just keep trying and keep persisting.The book will definitely help 🙂

Comment by Caspette | August 5, 2012 | Reply