Memorial Day is a time to honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country and also to thank all of the veterans and active members of the military. Let’s see if you can identify these United States Marines.
You have until noon Sunday to submit your answers as a comment. Comment will be hidden until I post the answers. No Googling!
This round will last til August. The person with the most points will win a B&N gift card (total $ based on # of total participants, so please play) and a randomly selected participant will win a fun prize from me.
1. This famous Clevelander is really best know for his comedy and now his game show hosting gig, but he did write an autobiography titled Dirty Jokes and Beer. He served in the Marine Corp Reserve for 6 six years in the 80’s. Drew Carey
2. This author of the Bourne series also wrote under the pseudonyms Jonathan Ryder and Michael Shepherd. Robert Ludlum
3. Tom Cruise made Born on the Fourth of July a must see movie, but who was the Marine that lived and wrote it? Ron Kovic
4. This novelist wrote Sophie’s Choice plus many others. Although he joined the Marines at the end of WWII the Japanese surrendered before he left the US. William Styron
5. This author of historical fiction (Exodus and Trinity to name a few) joined the Marines at 17 and served in the South Pacific. Leon Uris
6. The lone woman on the list joined the Marines after earning a degree in history. She writes science fiction and her book The Speed of Dark won the Nebula prize in 2003. Elizabeth Moon
7. Which one of these actors was NOT a Marine? Gene Hackman, Harvey Keitel, or Joe Pesci Joe Pesci
8. This Vietnam vet wrote a biography on George Reeves while still in school and an autobiography a few years ago titled Life’s That Way. He’s seen on TV in Deadwood and Supernatural these days. Jim Beaver
9. Which one of The Daily Show cast is a current member of the Marine Corp Reserve and has served in Liberia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan? Rob Riggle
10. Who is this Marine and you’ll get bonus points if you can name one of his movies. Steve McQueen