Bossypants, by Tina Fey

BossypantsFinished audio 1-7-12, rating 4/5, humor, pub. 2011

Unabridged audio 5.5 hours. Read by Tina Fey.

What’s not to love about Tina Fey?  I loved her on Saturday Night Live Weekend Update, her parody of Sarah Palin and still laugh during every 30 Rock episode.  She is one smart cookie.  It was a no-brainer that I would read this book and when I heard so much praise for the audio I thought I’d give it a try.  The book is so well served by Fey’s own delivery that I’m not even interested in reading the actual book because I don’t think it could be as entertaining.

Tina’s childhood was much like many of ours, only seemingly funnier.  Her Clint Eastwood-like Dad sounded like a riot and I could totally relate to a dad with a strong personality.  As she moved into high school I kept thinking that she seemed just as awkward, but so much older than I ever felt.

My favorite part of the book was the second half when she talked about SNL and 30 Rock. I loved the behind the scenes look at how things worked there and liked seeing the emergence of women comedians during her time on the show.  SNL is not the same without them.  My favorite part was being able to listen to the first Sarah Palin skit she did with Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton.  I laughed through the whole thing.  I liked the balance of personal and professional.

My final assessment?  Tina Fey is smart and funny and so is her book.

I checked this audio out of the library.

January 12, 2012 - Posted by | 4 Star Books |

1. I read this in print and I’m just kicking myself that I didn’t wait for the audio!

Comment by BermudaOnion | January 12, 2012 | Reply

• It’s a good one for a road trip. Jason liked it too.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 14, 2012 | Reply

2. I want to wait for the audio too!

Comment by rhapsodyinbooks | January 12, 2012 | Reply

• I look forward to your thooughts, Jill!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 13, 2012 | Reply

3. I love Tina Fey. I will have to see if my library has the audio, too, since I haven’t read this yet.

Comment by Jennifer | Book Den | January 12, 2012 | Reply

4. This is an audio I’m hoping to get to this year. I just don’t see how it can’t be funny.

Comment by carol | January 12, 2012 | Reply

• There were a few chapters in the middle where I found my mind wandering, but my husband said I was crazy.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 13, 2012 | Reply

5. Good idea to do the audio version. Perfect. Thanks.

Comment by BookQuoter | January 12, 2012 | Reply

6. I loved this book too and am glad to hear the audio version was so good. I don’t usually read a book twice but knowing that Tina reads it herself and that you enjoyed it so much I think I will get the audio version now!

Comment by Wrighty | January 12, 2012 | Reply

• I think you’ll laugh at her delivery, even if you’ve already read it.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 13, 2012 | Reply

7. I loved Bossypants in audio too. It was so complete, I felt as if I really knew her.

Comment by Margot | January 12, 2012 | Reply

8. I agree — audio is the way to go with this one!! I totally enjoyed it too! What happened to your pink design????

Comment by Jenners | January 12, 2012 | Reply

• It’ll come out for special occasions. I just don’t feel pink every day.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 13, 2012 | Reply

9. I haven’t read a negative review about the book. I agree, audio would be the way to go.

Comment by Mary | January 13, 2012 | Reply

• The reviews have been very positive. I think women like smart, funny and relatable women and Tina is all of those.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 13, 2012 | Reply

10. I am on an audio kick right now…I’m going to request this one from the library. Sounds great 😀

Comment by Staci Collins Taylor | January 13, 2012 | Reply

11. I think it’s funny that we both loved different parts! My favorites were her childhood. It’s great to know that books appeal to people for such different reasons!

Comment by Amused | January 14, 2012 | Reply

• Oh, I liked the childhood part too. The only section that dragged a bit for me was the Second City stuff.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 16, 2012 | Reply

12. I’m really curious about the audio now. i have a print copy but haven’t read it yet. i love Tina Fey though. I miss the really funny girls. I’m not a huge fan of the ones on the show now…I find most of the guys way funnier.

-Lauren

Comment by ShootingStarsMag | January 15, 2012 | Reply

• It seems like the only girls they use regularly is Krisen Wiig and I can only take so much of her!

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 16, 2012 | Reply

13. I loved this one in audio too. I LOOOOVED the skit with Amy Poehler, that was the highlight of the listen for me. Tina Fey is so awesome.

Comment by Heather | January 15, 2012 | Reply

• The skit was the highlight for me too. Loved seeing them both tonight at the Golden Globes.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 16, 2012 | Reply

14. What?! This one is only 5.5 hours long? I bought a copy but haven’t had time to read it yet so I’ve thought about reading and listening at the same time (as my library has for download). We just watched the season premier of 30 Rock last night. Forgot how much I loved the show (and Tina Fey). Hmm–might start it after my current audio!

Comment by Trish | January 19, 2012 | Reply

• Love 30 Rock! Definitely listen.

Comment by stacybuckeye | January 21, 2012 | Reply