Sundays with Gage – Baby Mozart

A few weeks ago my uncle Larry and aunt Mary Jane gave Jason and I my great-grandmother’s old piano.  My great-grandmother, Sarah, supported herself in her later years by taking in tenants and giving piano lessons, so I am very happy to have this piece of family history.  This was her last piano.

Jason and I do not play any instrument, but both wanted Gage to have lessons on an instrument early and those lessons can’t start early enough!  Jason sat down and taught himself 3 songs over the first week (he’s really awesome/annoying that way) and Gage has finally started to warm up to the idea.

How cute are my guys?  So did you or your kids take music lessons?  What age did they start?

18 thoughts on “Sundays with Gage – Baby Mozart

1. Mary says:

I taught piano and guitar lessons for several years (majored in music/piano). All three kids took lessons from another teacher – only one lasted 5 years. The other two absolutely detested it. I didn’t have the heart to make them continue but I was a little disappointed. I think it’s a good idea to offer the opportunity for lessons 🙂

2. Staci says:

Loving those photos!! 😀
    I played the flute and drums in middle/high school. Neither of my boys ever took lessons because at the time they weren’t interested, but now Marc wishes he could play the piano!!

3. redladysreadingroom says:

Love the pictures of the boys with the piano! How wonderful that you have your great grandmother’s piano, it looks beautiful and what a treasure of a family heirloom. My husband and I do not play a musical instrument. Our son has shown an interest in music from a young age and we encouraged him through a kids electronic piano and kindermusik classes…you should check into those, they’re great. He has been taking piano lessons since the third grade, so he was about 9. He still takes them at a local music school and loves it. They teach children as young as 2, I believe:) He also plays the stand up Bass in Orchestra at school since 4th grade, about 10 years old. He loves it as well.

4. Stephanie D. says:

Baby Gage looks waay cuter and more adept than I did at 5 or so. The piano teacher said I was too inflexible – if I remember correctly.

Your boys make quite and adorable pair; I hope Gage continues his fascination with the piano!

5. Thoughts of Joy says:

Three of my four took piano lessons. They all started in approximately 3rd grade and played for 2-5 years. The oldest was/is fantastic. He can still sit down and play long pieces by memory. Another one never mentions it, but the third wishes she stuck with it. So all three had their own personal experience, and we were happy to provide that opportunity to them. It kept them all busy and occupied with good educational value. 🙂 I miss that time in our life. Somebody was always practicing. Many months and talks (pros and cons) were had before we let them quit (to avoid impulsive decisions), but forcing lessons was not the purpose behind playing.

6. Carol says:

What a treasure. And the pictures are adorable.

We have a piano. i play and Amber started taking lessons when she was like six. She’s not a big fan, but I think it’s important (yes, I know that’s my bias) and I think she’ll be glad in the long run. She gets to take art lessons, I make her take piano- it works out.

7. jennygirl says:

Aww how cute?! I always wanted to take piano lessons but we couldn’t afford a piano growing up. In highschool I took drum lessons, it was quite fun 🙂

8. Marce says:

How absolutely sweet, great pictures. And to have a family piece, priceless. My daughter is 4 and we talked about when also, i’m thinking next year when she goes 5.

9. Kathleen says:

The pictures are wonderful. My son took piano lessons starting at age 5. He only stuck with it for a year or two before he got interested in other things. But he has never lost those fundamentals that he learned and he loves music!