I read Carrie this week and it got me thinking about some of my favorite high school movies. As a teen in the 80’s that decade is well-represented.
3. the Harry Potter movies (2001-2011) Can you imagine attending Hogwarts? I think the fact that we all can proves how spectacular this series is. While I liked the books better, each movie has gotten better and now I love the movies too. I think The Goblet of Fire (2005) was my favorite onscreen.
4. Grease (1978) I can sing every song in this musical. I had a hard time believing that any of the cast was young enough to be in high school, but it was great fun anyway.
5. Mean Girls (2004) This is a great movie about, what else, how mean teen girls can be to each other. This is probably the last time I actually enjoyed watching Lindsay Lohan onscreen.
6. The Karate Kid (1984) I love this story of the new kid on the block who did nothing wrong but talk to the wrong girl. He overcame bullying by beating them at their own game.
7. Pretty in Pink (1986) Aw, Duckie. Who didn’t love Duckie in this love story about a ‘richie’ falling for a poor girl. Their prom certainly beats the one Carrie had!
8. Dead Poet’s Society (1989) Teaching boys raised to appreciate their priveleged status a different way to look at life is at the heart of this movie that requires at least one tissue.
9. Bring It On (2000) Do not ask me why I love this cheesy movie because I do not know. I was not a cheerleader nor did I ever have a desire to be. It’s a mystery, but I really liked it.
10. Heathers (1989) I haven’t seen this one in forever and really need to watch it again. I remember the bitchiness and the angst and the wit. Loved it.
11. Election (1999) This dark comedy was a great story about an overachiever going too far and her teacher going even further. Great stuff.
12. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) I didn’t fall in love when I saw this the first time in high school, but each viewing makes me appreciate it more.