Sundays With Gage – Daddy Love

When I heard, “It’s a boy!” from the doctor I was happy, but to be honest, it made me nervous.  What do I know about raising a boy?  At least with a girl I have some personal experience.  Then I saw him and fell in love, but I was still nervous.  At least for the 5 minutes until I watched my husband with him and I knew it would be all right.  Jason has been such a rock in this emotional journey of parenting.  When he gets home from work he wants him immediately and he’s disappointed if he’s just missed feeding time.  He changes dirty diapers with no complaints and he’s even quicker at changing his clothes than I am.

But it’s when I see Gage studying his Daddy that melts my heart.  Gage is not a smiley baby and his Daddy is the beneficiary of the majority of them.  Sure I’m home with him all day and up with him all night, but it’s Daddy who keeps his attention.  I read him books, but Jason sings him Old McDonald  Has a Farm and so far it’s the farmer who wins.

Jason has green eyes and I have brown and so far Gage has blue.  They may change, probably will, but I like to think that he’s not going to be his mom or his dad, but his own boy and then man.  And if he grows up to be anything like his Dad, then some girl will be very lucky someday.  I know I am.

22 thoughts on “Sundays With Gage – Daddy Love

1. Literary Feline says:

He’s beautiful, Stacy. It sounds like he’s definitely daddy’s boy. 🙂 I think my husband will be that way with our daughter. He’s so excited about having a little girl.

2. candice says:

i am so happy for you all! you have one beautiful baby & one wonderful husband, a well-deserved blessing for you. enjoy!

3. Veens says:

awww… I am sure Daddy thinks the same for the super- nice Mommy 🙂

I am sure Gage will grow up to be a wonderful Human Being, just like his parents 🙂

4. Jennifer Rayment says:

I love that picture – totally adorable!
    I got 2 boys and although I miss being able to play with Barbies – I love it and wouldn’t change it for anything. Just warning you now — start looking up booger and fart jokes — little boys are obsessed with them : ) Trust me!

5. hmsgofita says:

That’s how I felt too. Well, I’ve never had any experience with girls either but was hoping for a girl…but now can’t imagine life without him! Yup, Daddy comes home and that’s the only person Gabe wants to be with!!! Such gratitude!!! LOL. Thanks for sharing these moments!!! Gage is a sweetie!

6. caspette says:

Lovely post. I know what you mean about hearing those words. I had grown up around girls, a sis and female cousins, I had no experience with boys. But now I wouldnt trade him for anything.

7. Wrighty says:

Isn’t parenthood the best? 🙂 That’s a beautiful post and photo and I hope you save that for Gage to read someday. I started writing journals to my kids when I was pregnant for the first time and have kept it up for 23 years (eek!) I have three boys and wouldn’t change a thing. While I’ll always wonder what it would have been like to have a daughter, as a tomboy with two brothers and mostly male cousins, I was ready for the guy stuff. And I have a couple of nieces to spoil when I need to do something girly!

I have felt very similar to what you described. I’m the one that was home enforcing nap time and breaking up fights and daddy was the fun guy who worked all day and taught them how to pitch after dinner. Gage will always know you are his rock, in good times and in bad. A lap to cuddle in and a shoulder to cry on. My friends have always insisted that boys always come back to their moms, With sons that are 22, 20 and 17 I believe them!

Enjoy your little man. The long nights won’t last forever and before you know it he will be a big man.