It’s Banned Book Week. Can you guess these 10 most challenged books of 2009? 10 points each (5 points title, 5 points author. You have until Thursday at midnight to submit your answers as a comment. I hide your answers until then.
Here are the rules… 1. Open to everyone. Play once or every week, that’s okay. I’m happy to have you here today.
2. No cheating. No googling, other internet searches or looking at other commenter answers. Yes, we’re going by the honor system
3. Your first answers will be the only ones accepted.
Last week’s Stephen King Adaptation Quiz here. Current Leaderboard here.
1. This four letter title is the first of the Internet Girl series and has been challenged for nudity, offensive language, being sexually explicit, and drugs. ttyl by Lauren Myracle
2. This children’s book is based on the true story of two male penguins at the Central Park Zoo who were given an egg to raise. Banned for homosexuality. And Tango Makes Three by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
3. First lines- “August 25, 1991. Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn’t try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.” The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
4. This beloved classic novel and film makes the list because of racism and offensive language. My cat is named after the pint-sized heroine 🙂 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5. Not only do many teen girls love this book, first of a very popular series of books and movies, their mothers do too. This same author took one of my favorite girls names off our possibility list (Bree) by splashing it across the cover of her latest book 😦 Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
6. This classic made antihero Holden Caulfield a household name in the 1950’s. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
7. “When I was little, the great mystery to me wasn’t how babies were made, but why.” So begins this tear jerker, often challenged for being sexist, homosexuality, sexually explicit, drugs, suicide, violence, and offensive language. My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult
8. This YA book features Virginia, a high school sophomore who lives by the Fat Girl Code of Conduct. Often challenged for offensive language and being sexually explicit. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
9. “You better not never tell nobody but God. It’d kill your mammy.” First lines of this classic. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
10. Jerry refuses to participate in the school’s chocolate sale and the Vigils make him pay the price in this popular school reading list book. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
35 thoughts on “Banned Book Quiz”
2. And Tango Makes Three
That is the only one i think i know 😦
Good for 5 points 🙂
1. ttyl by Lauren Myracle
5. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
6. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
9. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
40 points 🙂
These are just guesses, but I’m going to say:
#4 To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
#5 Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
#6 The Catcher in the Rye
#10 The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
All correct for 40 points 🙂
4. Scout! To Kill a Mockingbird
The only other two I’m certain of are two of my daughters favourites …
6. Catcher in the Rye (love the name Holden!)
7. The Chocolate War
Yeah, um … I meant for 10 to follow 6. <:)
Good for 15 points 🙂
2. And Tango Makes Three
4. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
5. Twlight by Stephanie Meyer
6. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
8. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
9. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Another stellar week. 60 points 🙂
I don’t know any of them except #6! Ugh I know. Well once I find out , I’m putting them on the must read list :0)
Love your quizzes!
You should have guessed 6 🙂
I know I know a couple of these but I can’t think of it LOL
#1 – ttyl?
#4 – To Kill A Mockingbird?
#5 – Twilight
#6 – Catcher In The Rye
Thats all I got. Great quiz Stacy!
20 points 🙂
I only know one. Number 4 is To Kill a Mockingbird. You’ve got some interesting hints listed.
Good for 5 points!
1. TTYL (read it…loved it)
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
6. Catcher in the Rye
10. Chocolate War
I’m embarrassed…should have known more!
Ahh the luck of getting here early…
4 is To Kill a Mockingbird (Hey, Boo)
6 is The Catcher in the Rye
7 is The Chocolate War (loved that book in high school)
Hope you’re feeling well…
I never read The Chocolate War but now that I’ve seen the movies I’m curious.
Ahh the joy of posting too quickly.
*10* is The Chocolate War
1 Can’t remember but something like ttfn
2 And Tango Makes Three by Peter Pernell and Justin Richardson
4 To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee (One of my fav books)
5 Twilight – Stephanie Meyer
6.The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
7.My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult
9 The Color Purple by Alice Walker
10 The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
70 points 🙂 High score for the week.
Dow! I just read through some of the yearly lists the other night – wouldn’t you know I can’t remember the current one?! Here’s what I think I know…
#4 = To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee
#5 = Twilight – Stephanie Meyer
#6 = The Catcher In The Rye – J.D. Salinger
#7 – My Sister’s Keeper – Jodi Picoult
#9 = this sounds so familiar…Morrison? Hurston?
#10 = The Chocolate Factory – ?
45 points 🙂 I know the lists have been around this week and thought it might make the quiz easier.
Ooo- wait! I meant the Chocolate WAR. Please correct #10! I know that’s correct. Certainly not anything to do with Willie Wonka! Although these days you never know what offends someone.
We certainly wouldn’t want to offend anyone 😉
Great topic, don’t know if I’ll really know very many!
4. To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
5. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Ann Brashares
6. Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger
7. That Maya Angelou one that’s always challenged?
4 & 6 are correct for 20 points 🙂
I apparently stink at this-forgot the authors.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)
6. The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)
10. The Chocolate War (Cormier)
You’re nothing but trouble 🙂 30 points.
I think #4 is To Kill a Mockingbird and #5 is Twightlight.
Correct for 10 points!